Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Punjabi caste does my surnames belong to?

Registered Users
    Sex

Question What Punjabi caste does my surnames belong to?

I'm pretty much new to anthrogenica. I was wondering if you guys can tell me about my surnames. Like which caste do I belong to. My maternal surname is Lamba and paternal surname is Wadhan. Mother's side is from amritsar and Paternal grandparents migrated from Pakistan. By religion I'm a sikh. Thank you!

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Frankenstein For This Useful Post:

agent_lime (06-08-2021),  Kapisa (06-08-2021),  laltota (06-09-2021),  Sapporo (06-08-2021),  subzero85 (06-09-2021)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Bengali
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-Z2432
    mtDNA (M)
    A11-a* , M4a
    Y-DNA (M)
    H-Z12547*
    mtDNA (P)
    M30g , Z7

Canada Bangladesh Jammu and Kashmir India Pakistan Sri Lanka
    Lamba is mainly Khatri, but is also found among Jatts while Wadhan and variations are Khatri. I would guess you would be of Khatri origin (especially if your grandparents came over from Pakistan, which is where the majority of Punjabi Khatris resided before partition).

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kulin For This Useful Post:

agent_lime (06-08-2021),  desi (06-08-2021),  Frankenstein (06-08-2021),  Kapisa (06-08-2021),  Sapporo (06-08-2021)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi Khatri/J&K/Multan
    Nationality
    India
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2b2a
    mtDNA (M)
    U2b

India United States of America India Punjab Jammu and Kashmir
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
    I'm pretty much new to anthrogenica. I was wondering if you guys can tell me about my surnames. Like which caste do I belong to. My maternal surname is Lamba and paternal surname is Wadhan. Mother's side is from amritsar and Paternal grandparents migrated from Pakistan. By religion I'm a sikh. Thank you!
    Most probably a Khatri Sikh like Kulin states. Off chance that you might be Jatt mixed with Khatri (but probably unlikely).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to agent_lime For This Useful Post:

Frankenstein (06-08-2021)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi (Jatt)
    Y-DNA (P)
    R2b (R-Y136220)
    mtDNA (M)
    M3a1

Did you ask your parents? That would be the best because sometimes the names can be from different castes especially the less well known names.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to laltota For This Useful Post:

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y6
    mtDNA (M)
    W

Quote Originally Posted by agent_lime View Post
    Most probably a Khatri Sikh like Kulin states. Off chance that you might be Jatt mixed with Khatri (but probably unlikely).
    I read Wadhan is used by Rajputs in West Punjab, so that could be a possibility as well considering Sikh Rajputs do marry frequently into other biraderis given their lower numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by laltota View Post
    Did you ask your parents? That would be the best because sometimes the names can be from different castes especially the less well known names.
    Many practicing Sikhs in the West who don't have obvious surnames and/or don't belong to larger communities like Jatts, usually refrain from discussing these things with their kids, especially Khatri Sikhs from what I've noticed are the most oblivious ones.
    Last edited by desi; 06-08-2021 at 08:16 AM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to desi For This Useful Post:

Frankenstein (06-08-2021),  MonkeyDLuffy (06-10-2021)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi Khatri/J&K/Multan
    Nationality
    India
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2b2a
    mtDNA (M)
    U2b

India United States of America India Punjab Jammu and Kashmir
    Quote Originally Posted by desi View Post
    I read Wadhan is used by Rajputs in West Punjab, so that could be a possibility as well considering Sikh Rajputs do marry frequently into other biraderis given their lower numbers.

Many practicing Sikhs in the West who don't have obvious surnames and/or don't belong to larger communities like Jatts, usually refrain from discussing these things with their kids, especially Khatri Sikhs from what I've noticed are the most oblivious ones.
    Wadhan is used by Muslim Jats as well. Also could be related to Wadhwa or Wadhawan (which are also used by Khatris). It's hard to say, but assuming maternal side is Khatri then it is more likely to be Khatri on the Paternal side. Off chance that its Jatt/ Rajput since cross caste marriages do happen sometimes.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to agent_lime For This Useful Post:

Registered Users
    Sex

I asked my parents and they said we are Mehra Rajputs(sikh). We come under OBC category. However when we went to haridwar to immerse the ashes of my Nana(lamba) the brahmin
    told us we're khatri and he even had the names of ancestors on his book.

Some surnames of my relatives: Taank, Burki/Barki. What would be my caste definition? Low, mid, high? Does height tell anything about castes? Most of my relatives are above average. My grandfather was between 6'2-6'4 while my grandmother was 4'11. My father being 5'10 and I'm 5'11. A lot of wadhan live in Jandiala guru town and the ones I've met were quite tall (6-6'4). Most of my relatives are light skinned but I have noticed that a few people in our caste are a bit darker skinned and of short stature.

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Bengali
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-Z2432
    mtDNA (M)
    A11-a* , M4a
    Y-DNA (M)
    H-Z12547*
    mtDNA (P)
    M30g , Z7

Canada Bangladesh Jammu and Kashmir India Pakistan Sri Lanka
    I asked my parents and they said we are Mehra Rajputs(sikh). We come under OBC category. However when we went to haridwar to immerse the ashes of my Nana(lamba) the brahmin
    told us we're khatri and he even had the names of ancestors on his book.

Some surnames of my relatives: Taank, Burki/Barki. What would be my caste definition? Low, mid, high? Does height tell anything about castes? Most of my relatives are above average. My grandfather was between 6'2-6'4 while my grandmother was 4'11. My father being 5'10 and I'm 5'11. A lot of wadhan live in Jandiala guru town and the ones I've met were quite tall (6-6'4). Most of my relatives are light skinned but I have noticed that a few people in our caste are a bit darker skinned and of short stature.
    Both Rajputs and Khatris are regarded as "high castes" in the Punjab region. Height doesn't specify much about castes.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kulin For This Useful Post:

desi (06-09-2021),  Frankenstein (06-08-2021),  MonkeyDLuffy (06-10-2021),  parasar (06-08-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Bihari, UPite and Bengali
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    O2a1c-JST002611
    mtDNA (M)
    M6a1a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1a1a-Z93, R-M560

India Pakistan United Kingdom
    Have you tested your DNA admixture?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to deuterium_1 For This Useful Post:

desi (06-09-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex

Mehra rajput or kashyap rajput is a caste similar to mallah/nishad in North, they are called Jhinwar and were water carriers/kahar. Most of them seen by me in DELHI REGION are dark skinned and similar to central Indian tribals. Recently included in SC category in UP.

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Kashyap_(caste)

https://m.facebook.com/permalink.php...98782520157616
    Last edited by Koonger; 06-08-2021 at 08:39 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast