mtDNA (M)
    H1c3
    Y-DNA (M)
    I-CTS5966
    mtDNA (P)
    H2a3

United States of America Denmark France Prussia Russia Imperial Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by msmarjoribanks View Post
    MyH can be weird. It puts all my mom's English in the Irish/Scottish/Welsh category -- she gets 50% I/S/W when she should be about 25% or less (it's all Scots Irish, so who knows, and some of the names sound English), and 25% or more English -- and gives her no English.
    I think I’ve posted this on another thread. They lump central and Northern European into Irish/Scottish/Welsh as well. I’ve got Polish clusters with matches that have +20% Irish, Danish clusters with over 20% Irish and so on. MH claims it’s from ancient Celt displacement, which makes sense. What doesn’t make sense is that I thought these tests go back an average 250 years, not over 2000 years. My personal results are around 20% I/S/W.

https://faq.myheritage.com/en/articl...icity-estimate
    Known Ancestry: NW Russian 25%, Central French 25%, North German 25%, Scandinavian (mostly Dane/Swede, distant Norwegian) 12.5%, Polish/Prussian 12.5%

AncestryDNA (2020 update): Eastern European and Russia 33%, Germanic Europe 32%, Sweden 10%, Norway 7%, Baltics 7%, France 5%, Scotland 4%, Finland 1%, Malta 1%

23andMe (v5.9): French and German 41.1%, Eastern European 38%, Scandinavian 8%, Finnish 1.6%, British and Irish 0.8%, BNWE 10.2%, North African 0.2%, Broadly European 0.1%

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boilermeschew827 For This Useful Post:

msmarjoribanks (06-15-2021),  Rufus191 (07-06-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly British Isles

United Kingdom Ireland France Scotland Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by guest5234 View Post
    No English? is it possible that I have always thought as myself as English but have 0% what does 63% SCANDINAVIAN MEAN?

Ethnicities

EUROPE
    Scandinavian
    63.1%

Irish, Scottish, and Welsh

Italian
    3.5%

English
    0.0%
    Capitalis did a detailed analysis of their MyHeritage results compared to their parents (all from Living DNA uploads) and concluded that 1/3 matches with largest segment below 17.6cM (tested down to 12) were FALSE matches. This probably accounts for a lot of Brits' Scandinavian matches - see their post here

https://anthrogenica.com/showthread....l=1#post773815

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-BY14160
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c
    mtDNA (P)
    I1a1

Germany Italy Sweden Netherlands
    Ive said it before but for me, when I look at MH from a big picture, regional assessment it’s not wrong. It’s just the details that they tend to get mixed up. On paper I’m 75% Northwest/Northern European and 25% Southern. MH gives me basically 70/30 split, and that’s within 5% so close enough. But their ethnicity estimate and matching need a serious overhaul. They’ve been saying they will for years, so who knows when really. I would not spend money on a MH kit until they clarify when they will update, if ever. Or, if you need the raw data and a swab collection method. Otherwise don’t bother with MyHeritage.
    distance%=4.6465"
    Barcin_N,47.2
    Yamnaya_Samara,41.4
    WHG,10.6
    Ethiopia_4500BP,0.8

Registered Users
    Sex

but what if you and your proposed false match have a number of other possible relatives that share the same sequence on both of our profile? when I click on a potential match on my heritage there are at least 15 other people that share both our DNA

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Australian
    Y-DNA (P)
    T-P322 (T1a2b1)
    mtDNA (M)
    H6a1

Australia Cornwall England Scotland Germany Poland
    Quote Originally Posted by guest5234 View Post
    but what if you and your proposed false match have a number of other possible relatives that share the same sequence on both of our profile? when I click on a potential match on my heritage there are at least 15 other people that share both our DNA
    If you are lucky, you will get a community with them. And you can go from that instead.
    At Ancestry those are far more accurate, but they have way more customers to work with.
    When the ethnicity estimates first came out, they were accurate as to continent - mostly.
    These days they have improved a lot. You can remove the "mostly"!

Otherwise I agree with those above who advised testing somewhere else.
    If you are heading for accurate ethnicity predictions, then I would not start from where you are now. The old Irish saying is spot on.

Alternatively, begin working your tree backwards.
    If you don't have too many roadblocks/brick walls, with the records around these days it can be possible to get back a few generations quite quickly.
    It seems to work fairly well for most of my mystery matches when I try to work out how we could possibly match.
    My own tree is back far enough to know where each theoretical 1.6% comes from on my lines.
    That's a lot less than the theoretical error from any ethnicity predictor I have seen so far.
    And overall more accurate.
    But I still have some persistent Swedish matches from around 300 years ago that are not properly represented in ethnicity.
    And some Northern Irish ones from further back - ditto - all mixed up with Scottish.
    As well as a southern Irish one well documented from 1800 that does not turn up at all.
    But that's probably biology - the DNA just got lost along the way. It could be there in a sibling or cousin, but I just did not get it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Saetro For This Useful Post:

guest5234 (06-30-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    South Portugal
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-Z225
    mtDNA (M)
    H1c3*
    mtDNA (P)
    H5a

United States of America Portugal Portugal 1143
    MyHeritage is terrible for ethnicity results. It personally gave me 12.3% Scandinavian which makes absolutely no sense. Additionally, this company hasn’t released their white papers which would better explain how they operationalize ethnic estimates for certain populations.

I will say MyHeritage's region marking is pretty accurate at least. It pinpointed that I am from southern Portugal (Faro) and even added some interesting slight markers to specific areas. Did it give you any?
    Last edited by Luso; 06-28-2021 at 08:21 PM.
    History of the Algarve: Hidden Content

Paternal Lineage- R-Z225: São Bartolomeu de Messines- em Silves, Portugal

Maternal Lineage: H1c3: Estrela de Monchique- em Silves, Portugal

Silves, Portugal: Hidden Content

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Luso For This Useful Post:

Cascio (07-04-2021),  chocoholic (06-28-2021),  Pedro Ruben (06-28-2021)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123