Ethnicity
    It/Pl/Sw/NA
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA (P)
    EV13

United States Betsy Ross Italy Sicily Poland Russia Tatarstan Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by chocoholic View Post
    What year was Ńngela born? My great great grandmother, who was also converso, had a very similar surname and I will message it to you since it’s uncommon. FWIW, a lot of Italian Jews changed their surnames to assimilate into the majority Catholic society. A couple of the surnames in my tree have straight up Arab Jewish origins, such as “Busacchio”, which is an Italianized form of “Abu Isaac” (father of Isaac). However, the vast majority of the surnames in my tree are found among Italian Jewish families, especially those in Rome. Abruzzo is close to Rome so this makes sense.

In my case, my great grandfather’s family maintained their converso ties up until the 1890s when they immigrated to the U.S, which is why my Jewish signal is so strong on G25, because he was an ethnic Jew despite being a practicing Catholic. I do get consistent Italian Jewish/Sephardic results on Eurogenes K13 as well, but the oracles are limited and can only break down a few ancestries. GEDMatch has a hard time distinguishing south Italian vs Jewish vs Greek, however, which is why I advocate for using G25 to break down those components.
    Wow! This is very interesting! She was born in 1736 and married Matteo Vitetta. It is interesting you mention Arab Italian surnames as the surname “Cafarelli” is common in my family tree, that of which alludes to Arab connections.

Much like your family it seems my family fully converted at the turn of the 20th century, and the surname Judici and Cafarelli were prevalent until the same Time. They then changed to Vitetta and Pugliese over time, those of which denote place names.

I’ve noticed too Gedmatch has difficulty separating Greeks and Italians. When I first tested i was suprised by the high amount of Greek on my test. But that has since disappeared on 23andme, although Monitbello Ionico is known for harboring some Greek and Albanian-speaking Italians. I find your line interesting, it seems interesting to my Italian line as well.

Have you found success with any tests that seem to be the most “accurate”? Thanks

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sokoski For This Useful Post:

chocoholic (06-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Sokoski View Post
    Wow! This is very interesting! She was born in 1736 and married Matteo Vitetta. It is interesting you mention Arab Italian surnames as the surname “Cafarelli” is common in my family tree, that of which alludes to Arab connections.

Much like your family it seems my family fully converted at the turn of the 20th century, and the surname Judici and Cafarelli were prevalent until the same Time. They then changed to Vitetta and Pugliese over time, those of which denote place names.

I’ve noticed too Gedmatch has difficulty separating Greeks and Italians. When I first tested i was suprised by the high amount of Greek on my test. But that has since disappeared on 23andme, although Monitbello Ionico is known for harboring some Greek and Albanian-speaking Italians. I find your line interesting, it seems interesting to my Italian line as well.

Have you found success with any tests that seem to be the most “accurate”? Thanks
    Commercial tests are not perfect since they update with new samples, but I did find success with FTDNA’s MyOrigins (although I preferred 2.0 over the new update). It was able to break down my British Isles ancestry from my French/German ancestry and also gave me Jewish/Southeastern European/Middle Eastern.

I have not tested with AncestryDNA but I hear they have a new Sephardi reference group which is interesting. I prefer the more advanced third party tools over any commercial test, however, and I encourage any friend who takes an ancestry test to use them to get a more precise result.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to chocoholic For This Useful Post:

Sokoski (06-18-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed

Quote Originally Posted by Sokoski View Post
    I know! I donít understand it at all hence the questions. My coordinates are from Ancestry and Geneplaza so Iím not sure if it affects it but it makes no sense at all. Iím perplexed by it
    Another example, with your unscaled you have a little Iberomaurusian and SSA. But, with scaled or unscaled I have more than you for the SSA but I have no 3%SSA with 23AndMe lol, I have less, it's funny

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Aben Aboo For This Useful Post:

Sokoski (06-18-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V13
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c
    mtDNA (P)
    I1a1

Germany Italy Sweden Netherlands
    https://anthrogenica.com/showthread....4-G25-Ancestry
    Mate, people have been asking for you since February to provide any result from a commercial test so we can have a foundation to offer assistance. The thing is, G25 and Gedmatch are kinda useless unless you have some base understanding. If I relied on Gedmatch results and random G25 models, I would be having an identity crisis as so many fit good enough. I dont intend to be toxic, but in this thread you are asking about Spanish, and a previous one Latin America and then another about African ancestry. All 3 of those will have vastly different outcomes given your actual background and at this point its just too confusing to keep up.

If you want any sort of actual help instead of us shooting in the dark, provide some sort of visual results so we can then build a meaningful method of sorting this out.
    E-V13 -> E-PH1246 -> E-BY14160*
    distance%=4.6465"
    Barcin_N,47.2
    Yamnaya_Samara,41.4
    WHG,10.6
    Ethiopia_4500BP,0.8

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to digital_noise For This Useful Post:

drobbah (06-19-2021),  Sokoski (06-18-2021)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    It/Pl/Sw/NA
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA (P)
    EV13

79EF1D38-9B4B-4A7A-ACD0-261E71E3ADE6.jpeg69022BBF-3C36-4BB6-A6D2-7BEEDDDDBEAA.jpeg
    Quote Originally Posted by digital_noise View Post
    https://anthrogenica.com/showthread....4-G25-Ancestry
    Mate, people have been asking for you since February to provide any result from a commercial test so we can have a foundation to offer assistance. The thing is, G25 and Gedmatch are kinda useless unless you have some base understanding. If I relied on Gedmatch results and random G25 models, I would be having an identity crisis as so many fit good enough. I dont intend to be toxic, but in this thread you are asking about Spanish, and a previous one Latin America and then another about African ancestry. All 3 of those will have vastly different outcomes given your actual background and at this point its just too confusing to keep up.

If you want any sort of actual help instead of us shooting in the dark, provide some sort of visual results so we can then build a meaningful method of sorting this out.

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    It/Pl/Sw/NA
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA (P)
    EV13

I’m sorry; here they are for 23andme 94CFA8E4-7797-4F1B-A81E-581E3AE7C8AE.jpeg

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V13
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c
    mtDNA (P)
    I1a1

whats the other 68.7%?
    E-V13 -> E-PH1246 -> E-BY14160*
    distance%=4.6465"
    Barcin_N,47.2
    Yamnaya_Samara,41.4
    WHG,10.6
    Ethiopia_4500BP,0.8

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    It/Pl/Sw/NA
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA (P)
    EV13

Did you get the Italian photo? EDBA1293-F88E-45C1-8BF7-BBB2C7ED5D6C.jpeg14924B4A-069F-40E6-96F1-23200547A0C6.jpeg
    2506F7A3-D0BF-4695-B721-2D4B9989D1EA.jpeg

I used to have Spanish with canaries but it turned to Occitan. The rest is grey so I guess that is unassigned
    Last edited by Sokoski; 06-19-2021 at 02:33 AM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V13
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c
    mtDNA (P)
    I1a1

man...you are killing me lol.