Y-DNA (P)
    Q-BZ68
    mtDNA (M)
    H23
    Y-DNA (M)
    J-ZS1711
    mtDNA (P)
    U5a1

Arbėreshė Wales Germany Palatinate Polish–LithuanianCommonwealth Israel Slovakia

Q1b and Significant STRs

Hello I have been wondering if there are any STRs for a Q1b1a that are significant for genealogy or ancestry beside DYF395S1? My brother's kit is awaiting the last three panels for the 67 marker upgrade. In the 25 marker level he has two that are different from most matches. They are DYS447=24, mode in the project=25, and DYS449=30 for him. Mode for that one=29. In the 37 marker his CDY=32-39, the mode is 33-38. A lot in the project look to have different numbers at CDY, however not very many seem to be the 32-39. Thank you in advance for any help.
    Last edited by Tįltos; 12-18-2013 at 01:16 AM.

Administrator
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    Q-BZ68
    mtDNA (M)
    H23
    Y-DNA (M)
    J-ZS1711
    mtDNA (P)
    U5a1

Arbėreshė Wales Germany Palatinate Polish–LithuanianCommonwealth Israel Slovakia
    MY brother's panel 4 came in today. DYS425=0. When I look at the Haplogroup Q Project, it looks like all Q1b men across the board have a value of 0 here. It doesn't matter if they are from Eastern Europe, Ireland, Netherlands, Portugal, Germany, Dagestan, Turkey, Iran, Iraq, India, Uzbekistan, or Kazakhstan. So no difference of Jewish vs non-Jewish. I think there was maybe only 3 or 4 of the the various Q1a types that have a 0 at this marker. What's up with that???

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-Z2103>Y14416

Quote Originally Posted by Tįltos View Post
    MY brother's panel 4 came in today. DYS425=0. When I look at the Haplogroup Q Project, it looks like all Q1b men across the board have a value of 0 here. It doesn't matter if they are from Eastern Europe, Ireland, Netherlands, Portugal, Germany, Dagestan, Turkey, Iran, Iraq, India, Uzbekistan, or Kazakhstan. So no difference of Jewish vs non-Jewish. I think there was maybe only 3 or 4 of the the various Q1a types that have a 0 at this marker. What's up with that???
    There is a whole project dedicated to 425=0. Null425 Project
    ISOGG wiki http://www.isogg.org/wiki/Null_value page has some information and links.
    A null value is the term used when a DNA laboratory is unable to determine a value for a short tandem repeat (STR) marker on the Y-chromosome.
    Last edited by Joe B; 12-19-2013 at 11:24 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe B For This Useful Post:

Tįltos (12-20-2013)

Administrator
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    Q-BZ68
    mtDNA (M)
    H23
    Y-DNA (M)
    J-ZS1711
    mtDNA (P)
    U5a1

Thank you very much Joe. I never heard of this. I can see from the links that you gave me that some R1b, and E1b also have issues with this. It looks to cover all subclades of Q1b. I wonder what that means for the haplogroup as a whole? Such as is it a deep ancestry implication? If I understand what I have read about the tree for Q, Q1b is close to the ancestral Q.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tįltos For This Useful Post:

Joe B (12-20-2013)

Administrator
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    Q-BZ68
    mtDNA (M)
    H23
    Y-DNA (M)
    J-ZS1711
    mtDNA (P)
    U5a1

I also want to add the rest of my brother's panels just appeared! As per the DYF395S1=15-19, we are in the Ashkenazi cluster! I still hope there will be more discoveries made about how this subclade entered the Jewish population. The guys that belong to this appear to be in their own caste.

On a side note for those of you who used to follow the Batch Calender at FTDNA that is now closed. My brother's test had been in Batch 542, batched 11.14.2013, the expected date was 12.31.2013. Some of the first Big Y orders are in this batch. So hopefully they are moving things along quickly to get Big Y results out.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Wallon/Normand
    Nationality
    French
    Y-DNA (P)
    G2a2b2a1b1a2a1-S2808
    mtDNA (M)
    H2a2a1

Normandie Wallonia
    I also want to add the rest of my brother's panels just appeared! As per the DYF395S1=15-19, we are in the Ashkenazi cluster! I still hope there will be more discoveries made about how this subclade entered the Jewish population. The guys that belong to this appear to be in their own caste.

On a side note for those of you who used to follow the Batch Calender at FTDNA that is now closed. My brother's test had been in Batch 542, batched 11.14.2013, the expected date was 12.31.2013. Some of the first Big Y orders are in this batch. So hopefully they are moving things along quickly to get Big Y results out.
    If the number of repetitions STR could not been determined (Null Value), this could be due to a neighbouring mutation which prevents from locating the STR.

My BIG Y is also in Batch 542 but my expected date was reported from 12.31.2013 to 02.28.2014 (possible mid-february) and I think it is general.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to palamede For This Useful Post:

Tįltos (12-22-2013)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    G-V2154
    mtDNA (M)
    HV4a2a

Congrats! Have you considered full y-dna testing? It is rather expensive at the moment.
    Last edited by Humanist; 12-20-2013 at 05:08 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Humanist For This Useful Post:

Tįltos (12-22-2013)

Administrator
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    Q-BZ68
    mtDNA (M)
    H23
    Y-DNA (M)
    J-ZS1711
    mtDNA (P)
    U5a1

Quote Originally Posted by palamede View Post
    If the number of repetitions STR could not been determined (Null Value), this could be due to a neighbouring mutation which prevents from locating the STR.

My BIG Y is also in Batch 542 but my expected date was reported from 12.31.2013 to 02.28.2014 (possible mid-february) and I think it is general.
    Thank you for further information on this phenomenon. I just looked through the Haplogroup Q project and noticed another odd thing about all the subclades of Q1b. Almost all, maybe two or three guys don't have this, but on DYS413 which is right after the DYS425=0, the DYS413=22-22. The other ones are 21-22 or 22-24.

Good luck on your Big Y results. I hope you discover many new SNPs. Fingers crossed that some results do start coming in by mid-Feb. Please post what you find out.

Administrator
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    Q-BZ68
    mtDNA (M)
    H23
    Y-DNA (M)
    J-ZS1711
    mtDNA (P)
    U5a1

Quote Originally Posted by Humanist View Post
    Congrats! Have you considered full y-dna testing? It is rather expensive at the moment.
    Thank you! Yes eventually I would like to have the full yDNA testing done. Unfortunately it is not in my budget at this time. I am lucky I finally have got this far. I have wanted to test my father since the early 2000's when all the hype was out about testing for the Genghis Khan gene! I do have to say I understand so much more now than then. I still have a lot to learn. My father if he was alive, I am sure he would be thrilled with his haplogroup.
    And I thank you for taking an interest in our haplogroup. I do find your posts to be very helpful. One question? Because you brought up about the Q1b's and Khazar theory in the other thread about the new R1a paper. Do you think there is a close relationship with these two haplogroups traveling together. Not necessarily for Khazar theory, but for other ones. I have read on Eupedia that they were linking the two coming into the Middle East together with the Indo-Iranian migrations from Central Asia during the late Bronze Age. http://www.eupedia.com/europe/Haplogroup_Q_Y-DNA.shtml

Administrator
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    Q-BZ68
    mtDNA (M)
    H23
    Y-DNA (M)
    J-ZS1711
    mtDNA (P)
    U5a1

Quote Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
    There is a whole project dedicated to 425=0. Null425 Project
    ISOGG wiki http://www.isogg.org/wiki/Null_value page has some information and links.
    One of my brother's new matches is a GD of 6 at the 67 marker. When I look at this man's STRs to compare, at DYS425 he has nothing listed. No zero, zip , nada, it is blank. Every Q1b that I can see has a value of 0 listed here. Because this new match has a blank at this marker he is counted at a GD of 6. I am wondering if it is reasonable for me to infer that he and my brother are really at a GD of 5 because it is always 0 at this marker for a Q1b? If anyone knows, or has an opinion I would most appreciate it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast