Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Christian Lebanese
    Nationality
    Christian Lebanese

Lebanon France

Ethnicity vs. DNA

After my friend of Lebanese Arab origin had very atypical DNA results for his ethnicity, a question came to my mind: is DNA really important when claiming an ethnicity?
    Consider Lebanese Arabs: they are not Arabian at all when it comes to DNA, their DNA is fairly distant from original Arabians from Gulf Arabia. However, Lebanese Arabs are still ethnically considered as Lebanese Arabs but not considered as Lebanese Turkmens or Lebanese Druze. Therefore, DNA is not a necessity when claiming an ethnicity, in my opinion. What do you think?

Footnote: My friendís DNA is closest to Turks and Caucasians but rather distant from Lebanese.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Hispano-American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-BY711
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c

Venezuela Spain
    Ethnicity ≠ DNA

In the New World countries, this is something obvious, but this can happen in every country. It's clear too that this cases are less than the 5% of the country population.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to alejandromb92 For This Useful Post:

grumpydaddybear (06-14-2021),  rainn (06-14-2021),  Shuzam87 (06-30-2021),  witness (07-24-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Han Chinese
    Nationality
    Singaporean
    Y-DNA (P)
    N-Y139167
    mtDNA (M)
    R11b

Singapore
    Ethnicity has more to do with cultural identification than it has to do with DNA

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SG_Jun For This Useful Post:

JerryS. (07-07-2021),  peloponnesian (06-20-2021),  rainn (06-22-2021),  witness (07-24-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y2568*
    mtDNA (M)
    R30b
    mtDNA (P)
    U9b1*

United States of America Pakistan
    Ethnicity just like Race is a social construct, DNA isn't. By DNA here, I really mean parts of DNA used to assess shared genetic variation among populations predicting common descent at some point in time.

"Ethnicity is a complex social construct that influences personal identity and group social relations. Ethnic identity, ethnic classification systems, the groupings that compose each system and the implications of assignment to one or another ethnic category are place-, time- and context-specific."
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2908006/
    Last edited by Kapisa; 06-20-2021 at 04:40 AM.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kapisa For This Useful Post:

Erikl86 (08-01-2021),  peloponnesian (06-20-2021),  pmokeefe (06-25-2021),  rainn (06-22-2021),  vettor (07-07-2021),  witness (07-24-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Moldovan/Romanian
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-PH908*, DYS561=15
    mtDNA (M)
    T2a1b1a

Moldova Romania European Union
    Ethnic identity comes from self identification. Nobody's going to proof check one's family tree.
    Recent ancestry: 2/4 Central Moldova (Orhei district), 1/4 Southern Moldova (Cahul district), 1/4 Northern Moldova (Briceni district)
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dorkymon For This Useful Post:

Hazmatnik (06-28-2021),  rainn (06-22-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex

I am ethnically Pakistani, yet I have no native Pakistani DNA.

Most White Canadians are ethnically Canadian, yet they have no Native Canadian DNA.

Ethnicity is a social construct. It's the country you belong to and what you identify with.
    "

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Azbuzz For This Useful Post:

digital_noise (06-20-2021),  peloponnesian (06-20-2021),  rainn (06-22-2021)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Australian & Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    M222 (S588)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c3f

Ireland Australia Ireland County Tipperary Ireland Munster Ireland County Roscommon Ireland Connacht
    Quote Originally Posted by rainn View Post
    After my friend of Lebanese Arab origin had very atypical DNA results for his ethnicity, a question came to my mind: is DNA really important when claiming an ethnicity?
    Consider Lebanese Arabs: they are not Arabian at all when it comes to DNA, their DNA is fairly distant from original Arabians from Gulf Arabia. However, Lebanese Arabs are still ethnically considered as Lebanese Arabs but not considered as Lebanese Turkmens or Lebanese Druze. Therefore, DNA is not a necessity when claiming an ethnicity, in my opinion. What do you think?

Footnote: My friend’s DNA is closest to Turks and Caucasians but rather distant from Lebanese.
    Is his dna really atypical for his ancestry? Most people with long term ancestry in a country will cluster together. Not all dna companies are accurate though so it depends on what dna test was taken. It will depend on what samples a company has. Some populations are very under-tested. It would be unusual for example if you have long term ancestry in a country and don't cluster with other people of the same ethnicity. People living together for many generations are going to share dna.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jessie For This Useful Post:

rainn (06-22-2021),  Robert1 (07-19-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Christian Lebanese
    Nationality
    Christian Lebanese

Lebanon France
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessie View Post
    Is his dna really atypical for his ancestry? Most people with long term ancestry in a country will cluster together. Not all dna companies are accurate though so it depends on what dna test was taken. It will depend on what samples a company has. Some populations are very under-tested. It would be unusual for example if you have long term ancestry in a country and don't cluster with other people of the same ethnicity. People living together for many generations are going to share dna.
    On most GEDmatch calculators, his DNA seems to be fairly distant to average of Lebanese samples. His DNA clusters with Turks and Caucasians on most GEDmatch calculators. He also scores 8-10% East Eurasian on most GEDmatch calculators and many members told me that 8-10% East Eurasian is very atypical for a Lebanese Arab.

My guess: my friend’s ancestors were of Turkish origin but they have chosen to identify as Arabs in order to integrate better to the society they live in.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Human
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2a
    mtDNA (M)
    H6a1a

Great Seljuk Empire
    Ethnicity is just a social construct, created by historical events. DNA is also a bunch of human history migrating from one place to another, settling down and intermingling with each other. Anyone who claims to "Races" is lost.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mrtni For This Useful Post:

Kapisa (06-22-2021),  rainn (06-22-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Norwegian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1....L448
    mtDNA (M)
    K1c

This illustrates the futility of grouping peoples ancestry by nations since genetic roots go back much lfurther than present day administrative entities.

p.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast