Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-M85
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c14

United States of America

J1c14

I did full Mitochondrial testing at FamilyTreeDNA, I was revealed to have J1c14.
    I have 9 extra mutations which are G185A, G228A, 315.1C, 522.1A, 522.2C, 522.3A, 522.4C, T16093C, C16519T.

My DNA matches seem to be mainly Ashkenazi Jews
    One in particular is Joshua Robbin Marks who wrote the small book, Seed of Israel. He's full Ashkenazi.
    He has a channel on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/c/SeedOfIsrael/featured

My maternal grandmother's mother Ruth Rosenthal was a first generation Ashkenazi Jewish American. Her father and his parents immigrated from Romania. Her mother and her parents immigrated from Latvia.

The earliest matrilineal ancestor that I know is my 3rd Great Grandmother Sarah Hershberg who was married to my 3rd Great Grandfather Herman Hosias. Their daughter, Irene was Ruth's mother and married to Ruth's father Max Rosenthal who was son of Samuel Rosenthal and Mary Josephs.

according to eupedia

J1c14 is found in Central and Eastern Europe

Does anybody else have J1c14?

any additional info about it?
    paternal ancestry is African American with English and Acadian
    maternal ancestry is Cape Verdean, Ashkenazi Jewish (from Romania and Latvia), Puerto Rican, Madeiran, Azorean, English, Scottish, German, Irish, Swiss, Welsh, Dutch, Frisian

Eurogenes K13
    Sub_Saharan 47.34%
    North_Atlantic 18.75%
    West_Med 9.90%
    East_Med 6.70%
    Baltic 4.70%
    Northeast_African 3.60%
    West_Asian 2.73%
    Amerindian 2.38%
    Red_Sea 1.86%
    East_Asian 1.20%
    Siberian 0.64%
    Oceanian 0.11%
    South Asian 0.10%

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Glaucus For This Useful Post:

leorcooper19 (06-18-2021)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Jewish & British
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-Y140446
    mtDNA (M)
    H4a1a4b2
    Y-DNA (M)
    I-Z60
    mtDNA (P)
    V7a7a2

To date, and to my knowledge, J1c14 is exclusively Ashkenazi. Wim Penninx estimated it to make up approximately 1.4% of Ashkenazi Jewish maternal lines. Its parent, J1c-a (AKA J1c-C16261T) is likely from Neolithic Anatolia and J1c14 has at least 6 SNPs at its level, indicating a significant bottleneck. For now, we can't say much more, including whether or not it's European vs Middle Eastern.

See this chart I made using data from FTDNA (n=60). It shows the countries of origin for J1c14 carriers. All of the country rates are actually close to their respective averages, so they're no particularly strong pattern that distinguishes J1c14 from other Ashkenazi lineages except for its WAJ (Western Ashkenazi Jews) rate, which is below average. However, it's not as low as lineages like HV1b2/M33c/N9a3 so I doubt it "skipped" Germany in the medieval period. That said, if this rate is legit, then it probably isn't from the Rhenish Jewish community, although a larger sample size may change that.

My avatar is paleoart of a Neanderthal child by Tom Björklund, check him out: Hidden Content

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to leorcooper19 For This Useful Post:

Glaucus (07-03-2021),  jkotl0327 (06-19-2021),  Principe (06-18-2021),  StillWater (06-18-2021),  SUPREEEEEME (06-18-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Afro,Euro,Amerind
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-M85
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c14

United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by leorcooper19 View Post
    To date, and to my knowledge, J1c14 is exclusively Ashkenazi. Wim Penninx estimated it to make up approximately 1.4% of Ashkenazi Jewish maternal lines. Its parent, J1c-a (AKA J1c-C16261T) is likely from Neolithic Anatolia and J1c14 has at least 6 SNPs at its level, indicating a significant bottleneck. For now, we can't say much more, including whether or not it's European vs Middle Eastern.

See this chart I made using data from FTDNA (n=60). It shows the countries of origin for J1c14 carriers. All of the country rates are actually close to their respective averages, so they're no particularly strong pattern that distinguishes J1c14 from other Ashkenazi lineages except for its WAJ (Western Ashkenazi Jews) rate, which is below average. However, it's not as low as lineages like HV1b2/M33c/N9a3 so I doubt it "skipped" Germany in the medieval period. That said, if this rate is legit, then it probably isn't from the Rhenish Jewish community, although a larger sample size may change that.
    Thank you for your response. I didn't think it was from the Rhineland Jewish community. After reading that it was found in Central and Eastern Europe, I was wondering if maybe it came from a female in Central or Eastern Europe like a Polish or Lithuanian female. My 2nd Great Grandmother Irene Hosias and her parents came from Latvia which borders Lithuania and has a history of being under Polish-Lithuanian rule.

I am not seeing the chart that you mentioned.
    maternal ancestry is Cape Verdean, Ashkenazi Jewish (from Romania and Latvia), Puerto Rican, Madeiran, Azorean, English, Scottish, German, Irish, Swiss, Welsh, Dutch, Frisian

Eurogenes K13
    Sub_Saharan 47.34%
    North_Atlantic 18.75%
    West_Med 9.90%
    East_Med 6.70%
    Baltic 4.70%
    Northeast_African 3.60%
    West_Asian 2.73%
    Amerindian 2.38%
    Red_Sea 1.86%
    East_Asian 1.20%
    Siberian 0.64%
    Oceanian 0.11%
    South Asian 0.10%

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Glaucus For This Useful Post:

leorcooper19 (06-19-2021)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Jewish & British
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-Y140446
    mtDNA (M)
    H4a1a4b2
    Y-DNA (M)
    I-Z60
    mtDNA (P)
    V7a7a2

Quote Originally Posted by Glaucus View Post
    Thank you for your response. I didn't think it was from the Rhineland Jewish community. After reading that it was found in Central and Eastern Europe, I was wondering if maybe it came from a female in Central or Eastern Europe like a Polish or Lithuanian female. My 2nd Great Grandmother Irene Hosias and her parents came from Latvia which borders Lithuania and has a history of being under Polish-Lithuanian rule.
    This is sadly a major problem in the field; there are so many websites that come up whenever one searches something like "J1c14" that are extremely outdated, incorrect, and misleading. The "Central and Eastern European" countries in question are actually just the countries where the Ashkenazim in the lineage trace to, not actual ethnic Germans/Czechs/Poles/Ukrainians/Lithuanians/etc.

As I said in my previous response, to date, there are no other known carriers of J1c14 other than Ashkenazim and their descendants. There is actually a pretty good chance (maybe even >50%, considering the sizable bottleneck) that J1c14 is proximately West Asian in ultimate origin, as opposed to European.

I am not seeing the chart that you mentioned.
    Here's the link again: https://imgbb.com/G9sRSgy

I've tried to link attachments using the "Insert Image" function, but I've never been able to make it work.

My avatar is paleoart of a Neanderthal child by Tom Björklund, check him out: Hidden Content

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to leorcooper19 For This Useful Post:

jkotl0327 (06-19-2021),  StillWater (06-19-2021),  SUPREEEEEME (06-19-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Afro,Euro,Amerind
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-M85
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c14

United States of America
    I was checking out my Mitochondrial DNA Haplogroup J1c14 at FamilyTreeDNA.
    My maternal grandmother's mother was a first generation Ashkenazi Jewish American with a father who immigrated from Romania and a mother that immigrated from Latvia.
    My maternal origins are in Latvia.
    I thought J1c14's parent haplogroup was J1c.
    It turns out J1c14 shares a parent haplogroup with J1c7 and J1c-C16261T-A189G.
    Their parent haplogroup is J1c-C16261T.
    My mitochondrial DNA J1c14 matches are people with maternal origins in
    Ukraine (18), Poland (12), Russian Federation (10), Lithuania (9), Germany (6), Hungary (5), Romania (5), United States (2), Palestinian Territory (1), Canada (1), United Kingdom (1).

J1c14.png

Eurogenes K13
    Sub_Saharan 47.34%
    North_Atlantic 18.75%
    West_Med 9.90%
    East_Med 6.70%
    Baltic 4.70%
    Northeast_African 3.60%
    West_Asian 2.73%
    Amerindian 2.38%
    Red_Sea 1.86%
    East_Asian 1.20%
    Siberian 0.64%