Thread: G25 Vahaduo - Separdic based on ?

Registered Users
    Sex

G25 Vahaduo - Separdic based on ?

The Average Separdic Jew in G25 Vahaduo modern average calc. based on dna of Turkish Jews or Greek or Bulgarian Jews anyone have any idea ?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Jewish (Turkey)
    Y-DNA (P)
    T-Z709
    mtDNA (M)
    H7
    mtDNA (P)
    T2b

Israel Turkey Spain Ottoman Empire
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanchik View Post
    The Average Separdic Jew in G25 Vahaduo modern average calc. based on dna of Turkish Jews or Greek or Bulgarian Jews anyone have any idea ?
    correct me if I'm wrong but I think its based on the individual samples that appear in there, so three of them are from Greece, two from Bulgaria and the four rest are not mentioned from where.
    I actually was very frustrated from always getting Moroccan Jew+ Romaniote without getting any Sephardic but all western Jews are pretty mixed and similar so I guess one component can swallow the other and it might be even tougher for eastern Sephardic that in many cases can be a bland of many Jewish communities.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sam1989 For This Useful Post:

Tanchik (06-25-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Sam1989 View Post
    correct me if I'm wrong but I think its based on the individual samples that appear in there, so three of them are from Greece, two from Bulgaria and the four rest are not mentioned from where.
    I actually was very frustrated from always getting Moroccan Jew+ Romaniote without getting any Sephardic but all western Jews are pretty mixed and similar so I guess one component can swallow the other and it might be even tougher for eastern Sephardic that in many cases can be a bland of many Jewish communities.
    Thats right, because when I put Morocco Jews for example and Separdic on thr calc, it always choose for me Separdic 50+% and I am actually half Moroccan Jew, so I guess there is very large range of Moroccan Jews sometimes they are closer to Separdics more sometimes to Tunisians and Algerian jews.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanchik For This Useful Post:

Sam1989 (06-26-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex

Scotland England Australia Star of David Turkey Egypt
    That set is only made up of Sephardic Jews from bulgaria and Turkey. We don't have Greek sephardim. Unfortunately I've only been able to verify which 3/4 are from Bulgaria or Turkey. That moroccan Jewish set is only made up of 4. When I used a a sample average of 8 oyr more in the other thread, G25 had no problem seeing yoiu as half moroccan jew. You're experience isn't unusual. Using thr old sample averages, it'd say my mum was closer to romaniotes and Italkim than sephardic Jews, but when I created a average of 10 Turkish Jews, that is now her closest.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Seabass For This Useful Post:

Sam1989 (06-26-2021)

Not sure if it’s any help but I did contact Davidski a while back and he said the Sephardic samples came from Bulgaria and Turkey. I wouldn’t be surprised if some of them were descendants of recent migrants from Salonika. That may explain the difference between the Sephardi sample and the Bulgarian and Turkish Jewish samples. When I ran a tailored G25 on the Turkish Jewish sample, this is what they got:

Target: Turkish_Jews_10
    Distance: 0.6311% / 0.00631096
    56.8 Sephardic_Jew
    35.6 Romaniote_Jew
    6.8 Ashkenazi_Poland
    0.8 Ashkenazi_Germany

This clearly reflects what we know about historical Jewish admixture in Turkey, between Ashkenazim, Iberian and Romaniote Jews.

From what I have seen on GEDMatch and 23andme, coastal Moroccan and Algerian Jews seem to be the closest to the original Iberian Jews since they do not have a large list of Ashkenazi matches like eastern Sephardim or even Syrian Jews do. Therefore, Sam’s prediction of Moroccan Jewish and Romaniote Jewish is realistic.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chocoholic For This Useful Post:

Pedro Ruben (06-26-2021),  rober_tce (06-26-2021),  Sam1989 (06-26-2021)