Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-M84/E-Y82779

Phoenicia Portugal

Looking for information on E-M84, and E-Y82779

I recently was confirmed for E-M84, as the most representative, finding a lot of connection with E-Y82779 as well. Does anyone have any reliable sources or information on this, at all?

Thanks!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to vhesper For This Useful Post:

Luso (07-04-2021)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Jewish & British
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-Y140446
    mtDNA (M)
    H4a1a4b2
    Y-DNA (M)
    I-Z60
    mtDNA (P)
    V7a7a2

Quote Originally Posted by vhesper View Post
    I recently was confirmed for E-M84, as the most representative, finding a lot of connection with E-Y82779 as well. Does anyone have any reliable sources or information on this, at all?

Thanks!
    Welcome to AG!

I briefly mentioned E-Y82779 in my thread on E-M84 here. As far as I know, the structure of the lineage is:
    1) A basal Syrian Jew from Aleppo
    2) A c. 1000 ybp subclade between two European christians from Poland and Austria
    3) A young subclade including at least one Spaniard from Seville

Based on your background, I'd guess you are closer to #3. Did you test at FTDNA? If so, could you share some details about your closest matches? Do you have any matches at 37, 67, or 111 levels?

My avatar is paleoart of a Neanderthal child by Tom Björklund, check him out: Hidden Content

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to leorcooper19 For This Useful Post:

altvred (07-05-2021),  Farroukh (07-05-2021),  hartaisarlag (07-05-2021),  Luso (07-05-2021),  SUPREEEEEME (07-05-2021),  Targum (07-05-2021),  vhesper (07-25-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-Y37518
    mtDNA (M)
    F2f
    Y-DNA (M)
    R-L584
    mtDNA (P)
    M9a1b1

Azerbaijan Iran Safavid Empire
    vhesper, also I strongly recommend you to upgrade up to BigY700.
    Y-STR matches with E-Y82779 can be just a homoplasic cases typical for E-M34 branches.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Farroukh For This Useful Post:

vhesper (07-25-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-M84/E-Y82779

Phoenicia Portugal
    Quote Originally Posted by leorcooper19 View Post
    Welcome to AG!

I briefly mentioned E-Y82779 in my thread on E-M84 here. As far as I know, the structure of the lineage is:
    1) A basal Syrian Jew from Aleppo
    2) A c. 1000 ybp subclade between two European christians from Poland and Austria
    3) A young subclade including at least one Spaniard from Seville

Based on your background, I'd guess you are closer to #3. Did you test at FTDNA? If so, could you share some details about your closest matches? Do you have any matches at 37, 67, or 111 levels?
    I am sorry for the late reply. I have ordered it and have yet to post the sample but will do so tomorrow. So in a few weeks I will know of which subclade it might go down towards.

All answers I found online relating to e-M84 are honestly confusing and contradictory. It seems each group wants to claim ownership of a Clade.

I am, indeed, an Iberian. Autosomaly, though potentially unrelated to this discussion, I am an atypical Portuguese: I consistently score in the Spanish levantine coast, and my admix still shows a strong near Eastern/levantine component. My father, however, is from the north of Portugal. Our surname is Teixeira. As far as I can understand, the paternal lineage stays in the north for, at least, two generations back from my father. Genealogy has been difficult and sketchy.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vhesper For This Useful Post:

Farroukh (07-25-2021),  hartaisarlag (07-29-2021),  leorcooper19 (07-25-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-YP445
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c2b

England Germany Palatinate Italy Sicily Ireland Munster Acadia Mercia
    For what it's worth, Wikipedia states, using The Jewish Encyclopedia as a reference, that Teixeira is a Converso surname.

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Jewish & British
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-Y140446
    mtDNA (M)
    H4a1a4b2
    Y-DNA (M)
    I-Z60
    mtDNA (P)
    V7a7a2

Quote Originally Posted by vhesper View Post
    I am sorry for the late reply. I have ordered it and have yet to post the sample but will do so tomorrow. So in a few weeks I will know of which subclade it might go down towards.

All answers I found online relating to e-M84 are honestly confusing and contradictory. It seems each group wants to claim ownership of a Clade.

I am, indeed, an Iberian. Autosomaly, though potentially unrelated to this discussion, I am an atypical Portuguese: I consistently score in the Spanish levantine coast, and my admix still shows a strong near Eastern/levantine component. My father, however, is from the north of Portugal. Our surname is Teixeira. As far as I can understand, the paternal lineage stays in the north for, at least, two generations back from my father. Genealogy has been difficult and sketchy.
    No problem! You ordered the Big Y-700? If so, that's great! Your results definitely will be interesting.

Yeah, there is a lot of misinformation and theories/hot takes without enough evidence about E-M84 online. The most common that I've seen are that it is directly descendant from the sampled Natufians of Raqefet Cave- which is demonstrably false- though it is technically possible other Natufians were ancestral to E-M84. Related to that is the idea that E-Z830 has been in the Levant for 19,000 years, despite the fact that E-CTS10880 (a major NE African/Horner clade) exists as a primary subclade of E-Z830 and the fact that E-M34 exists in very strong numbers across several Ethiopian groups. Another super common theory is that E-M84 was born in the Arabian Peninsula somewhere, usually argued for simply on the basis of its modern spread. I think the Late Chalcolithic and Bronze Age samples we have from the Levant, Turkey, and Armenia demonstrate how the initial diversification at least took place significantly north of Arabia. I think the real debate worth having is whether the MRCA of E-M84 lived in the north(east) Levant (around Syria) or in the southern Levant (around the Negev and Sinai). There's good evidence for both, and I'm looking forward to the eventual answer.

Re your autosomal results: that is interesting. How exactly Levantine-shifted are you for a Portuguese? Could you explain what you mean by the "Spanish Levantine coast"? Murcia area or what?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyP37 View Post
    For what it's worth, Wikipedia states, using The Jewish Encyclopedia as a reference, that Teixeira is a Converso surname.
    I saw this too, but I think we should interpret the excerpt as describing the surname Teixeira in a Jewish context. As it's a toponymic, I don't think there is a necessary link between that entry and vhesper's background, despite the very real possibility of him descending from Jews, given the 2800 ybp (at least) divergence from a Syrian Jew.

My avatar is paleoart of a Neanderthal child by Tom Björklund, check him out: Hidden Content

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leorcooper19 For This Useful Post:

JoeyP37 (07-25-2021),  passenger (07-25-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-M84/E-Y82779

Phoenicia Portugal
    Regarding the Spanish levantine coast it encompasses all of the eastern Spanish thus Mediterranean coast. Recent tests, with resort to g25 coordinates, locate me closer to Andalusia + Murcia. I have to guess this is eastern Andalusia, by individual samples and distances and the proximity to Murcia. Nevertheless, the differences in Iberia are small.

As for the levantine admix, it is significantly smaller in western Iberians than eastern Iberians, denoting a stronger connection to the Mediterranean, especially during the Carthaginian and Roman periods. In fact, a lot of these calculators attribute me a "imperial southern Roman profile" when a eastern Mediterranean shift occurs in the Roman samples analyzed.

Regarding my surname, I'm afraid it's not a good source of information. it is not terribly uncommon and, despite the exceptional case of the one Jewish family, or the original Teixeiras (a very old feudal northern Portuguese and Spanish family) it does not tell you much at all.
    To date there are no confirmed Jewish links to any of my sides of the family. And, as far as I know, I am also not of the old Teixeiras aristocratic stock; this would be possible but nearly impossible to know in my case.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to vhesper For This Useful Post:

leorcooper19 (07-29-2021)