Thread: How much European ancestry do Maronites have?

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Christian Lebanese
    Nationality
    Christian Lebanese

Lebanon France

How much European ancestry do Maronites have?

How much European ancestry do Maronites have?

Banned
    Sex

It seems to be exceedingly low to nonexistent. That is if you're talking about western or northern European ancestry which you likely are because these types of threads normally imply some sort of Crusader connection. There does appear to be old Greek ancestry among the Levantines both Muslims and Christians alike.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cynic For This Useful Post:

Nino90 (07-23-2021),  rainn (07-21-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex

I think around 20- 35% how ever most of the European ancestry Is ancient via Greeks. While Israelis are the most European mixed populations In the Middle East reaching Latin American level.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lebouz For This Useful Post:

Nino90 (07-23-2021),  rainn (07-21-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex

There must be some Greek heritage in them. But also some western European DNA due to the Crusades (there are even records about intermarriages between each other). Now, how much of Greek and Western Euro DNA are in them? Difficult to know... For the Greek contribution, it can be mistaken with local elements (due to similar East med features). As for the western/northwestern DNA, it doesn't seem significant enough to be seen clearly, at least in the usual ways to estimate DNA components.
    So it would be interesting to study accurately their haplogroups and see how much can be considered European (western Euro, Greek etc). And perhaps try other ways to estimate ancestry, by using different algorithms, models, components etc...

(I believe that the other differences with local Muslims are that the Christians were less impacted by migrations from the Caucasus -significant-, the Balkans and Anatolia -smaller- during the Ottoman era... Before that, it seems that they were less impacted by African inputs. As for Arab inputs, I am not sure if the Christians were less impacted. Because if I remember well, they mixed with Christian Arabs at some points : Christian Arabs from historic communities in the Levant - settled there since the ancient times - but also Christian Arabs from the Arabian Peninsula... That being said, I am not sure whether or not this mixing with Arabs touched the Maronites in particular, or if it was with other Christian communities).

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Australian & Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    M222 (S588)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c3f

Ireland Australia Ireland County Tipperary Ireland Munster Ireland County Roscommon Ireland Connacht

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jessie For This Useful Post:

Lupriac (08-06-2021),  rainn (08-10-2021)