Thread: Do modern Albanians have post-Roman/Byzantine Near-Eastern ancestry?

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Albanian, South-Gheg
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V13
    mtDNA (M)
    H
    Y-DNA (M)
    Martini (untested)

Albania

Do modern Albanians have post-Roman/Byzantine Near-Eastern ancestry?

Hello, my question is has there been an introgession of Roman/Byzantine genes from the Levant/Syria/Mesopotamia into Albanians that was not apart of the "cycladic"/Krepost_N substrate, that was present in ancient balkanites/SE Euros (and even BA Sicily)?

My arguments as to why I believe it is unlikely are as follows.

(1) My main reason for doubting such admixture is that there appears no Natufian admixture (Picture 4) in both Albanian clusters (as apparent on the WEurasian PCA) that would indoubtedly appear in any near-eastern post-Roman migrant.

(2) In regards to the Iran_N component; it disappears in both clusters at adc 0.25x when Kubano-Tersk was added (Picture 1); which according to Davdski was part of the same complex as the Catacomb-Yamnaya culture (which is a likely progenitor of Armenian/Albanian/Greek); this signals the likelyhood of mesopotamian ancestry being low. I think more samples/inclusion in models of Russian/Caucasian eneolithic samples are needed to truly determine the source of the "west-asian drift" present in Albanians. On the other hand it could be Trojan input? Just a thought.

(3) In addition, BGR_IA, ROU_BA, and BGR_Krepost_N, scy_192 among others, show an "Iran_N" signal (Picture 3).

(4) Culturally, Albanians, both Northern and Southern, maintained a strict tribal structure until quite recently (Late-Ottoman Era), this does not lend itself well to cosmopolitanism, the only people I could see who would have such admixture would be urban dweller with assimilated ancestry?

(5) Whilst Eurogenes G25 is a great tool, at the end of the day it is just a PCA, not an admixture calculator; our visual PCA shows a simple shift towards Yamnaya as compared to Bulgarian Iron Age.

(6) I am unaware of any Near-Eastern uniparentals in Albanians.

(7) Another nmonte run showing zero Ganj Dareh (or ppnb) at 0.25x ac (Picture 2).

22222.PNG444.PNG333333.PNG111111.PNG

Sorry for the drawn-out post.
    Last edited by darknorman11; 07-24-2021 at 11:17 PM.

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Albanian, South-Gheg
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V13
    mtDNA (M)
    H
    Y-DNA (M)
    Martini (untested)

Albania

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Albanian
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-BY32817
    mtDNA (M)
    T1a1l
    Y-DNA (M)
    E-CTS1273*

Albania Kosovo
    While the presence of post-Iron Age or even post-Roman Middle Eastern or West Asian Y-DNA lineages in Albanians is very negligible, it does seem that they exist. For example, I see that there is an Albanian from the former Pėrmet District in southern Albania clustering with two Turks under J1-Y79665>Y200529. One of the Turks on Yfull is from the Giresun Province located on the Black Sea coast of north-eastern Turkey while the other is from a study and is labelled as being an Anatolian Turk from west of the Euphrates-Trabzon line. According to Yfull estimations, the three share a TMRCA of ~650 ybp placing their common ancestor sometime during the medieval and possibly more specifically the early thirteenth century CE. The parallel cluster J1-Y79665>ZS10132 on Yfull is made up of two Turkish samples, one being from the Isparta Province in western Turkey and the other from west of the Euphrates-Trabzon line, and a sample from Bashkortostan. Y20059 and ZS10132 share a TMRCA of ~5,300 ybp, while this is very distant the overall distribution and data surrounding these lineages makes it very likely that Y20059 arrived in Albania from Anatolia or the east during the medieval.

Of course these lineages are the extreme minority, however they are very interesting nonetheless. And I am sure there are a few other examples under other Y-DNA haplogroups such as J2a-M410, J2b-M205, E-M34, E-M81, etc.
    Ydna: J1>P58>YSC234>ZS241>BY32817 (Y179831)

Maternal Ydna: E-V13>CTS1273*

Mtdna: T1a1l

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kelmendasi For This Useful Post:

hartaisarlag (07-25-2021),  leorcooper19 (07-25-2021)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Greek Peloponnese
    Nationality
    US since the 1890's
    Y-DNA (P)
    G2A2A

The West Asian admixture in Albanians like mainland Greeks is quite old(CHG). No evidence of anything remotely Asian/Levantine from Classical era on.