Y-DNA (P)
    E-V13
    mtDNA (M)
    H
    Y-DNA (M)
    Martini (untested)

Albania

How accurate are communities?

Hello, on my communities I have South Albania and Northern Greece listed, does this mean I actually have ancestry from these areas or simply decent IBD sharing. I only ask because I know on myheritage and MTA (LOL) its the latter but ancestry seems to be able to nail this stuff down really well, so it has me thinking. Thanks. X21.PNG
    Last edited by darknorman11; 07-31-2021 at 05:28 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darknorman11 For This Useful Post:

JMcB (07-31-2021),  Nqp15hhu (07-31-2021)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Albanian, South-Gheg
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V13
    mtDNA (M)
    H
    Y-DNA (M)
    Martini (untested)

Albania
    I should add that the only actual genetic group is Albania, North Macedonia, and North Greece, the other two divisions seem to not appear on mobile and don't change anything in terms of # of members.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to darknorman11 For This Useful Post:

Nqp15hhu (07-31-2021)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M222

Northern Ireland Ireland Scotland
    As a native Northern Irishman, I have found my Genetic Communities to be on point. They have detected ancestry from every part of Northern Ireland that I have ancestors from, but also miniscule parts of my ancestry that I have. For example, I have a 3rd G Grandmother from Central Donegal, but very limited other connections to that region. However, AncestryDNA was still able to detect that region.

However, I will say they seem to also detect migratory regions where some of my ancestors immigrated to, for example, I and most of my matches, have the NE Pennsylvania and New Jersey Genetic Community. I am not an American and have no American ancestors.

The one complaint that I have is the region classifications, as an example one of my communities is 'South Londonderry and East Antrim'; to me this makes no sense. East Antrim has no community based connection with South Londonderry. So, I think the communities need to be rejigged in Northern Ireland.

And yes, you will probably have 80%+ chance of having ancestry from that region.
    Last edited by Nqp15hhu; 07-31-2021 at 12:55 PM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nqp15hhu For This Useful Post:

boilermeschew827 (07-31-2021),  jadegreg (07-31-2021),  JMcB (07-31-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North, West and East Euro
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-L365
    mtDNA (M)
    H1c3
    Y-DNA (M)
    I-CTS5966
    mtDNA (P)
    H2a3

United States of America Denmark France Prussia Russia Imperial Germany
    Depends on your background. My grandfather is NW Russian and gets Czech, Poland, Lithuanian and Slovakia (I also get this), with Lithuania being likely. Ancestry does not offer many Eastern European communities and nothing in Russia, so I think this is a default assignment for many Eastern European users. Similarly, the only French communities offered are North American French (are there other French territories? I can't recall). Due to the lack of users from these areas, I don't see that changing any time soon. NW Russia and France comprise of half my ancestry (maternal side) and I have 0 close matches on AncestryDNA. Grandpa has 7 mid-range matches (~55 cMs) - he tested 4 years ago.

That being said, I get Central and Northern Germany which is accurate for my paternal grandma's side.

I think Ancestry clusters these assignments based on members trees and your matches (IBD).
    Known Ancestry: NW Russian 25%, Central French 25%, North German 25%, Scandinavian (mostly Dane/Swede, distant Norwegian) 12.5%, Polish/Prussian 12.5%

AncestryDNA (2021 update): Eastern European and Russia 35%, Sweden and Denmark 23% Germanic Europe 22%, Baltics 10%, Ireland 5%, France 3%, Finland 1%, Malta 1%

23andMe (v5.9): French and German 41.1%, Eastern European 38%, Scandinavian 8%, Finnish 1.6%, British and Irish 0.8%, BNWE 10.2%, North African 0.2%, Broadly European 0.1%

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to boilermeschew827 For This Useful Post:

jadegreg (07-31-2021),  JMcB (07-31-2021),  Nqp15hhu (07-31-2021)