Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-YP619*
    mtDNA (M)
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
    A lot of Germans got more British and Scandinavian for some unknown reasons, some others, less so, like Tomenable. It's really going up and down between related components, without being very consistent. You could as well flip the coin whether you are happier or not with this update. But Ancestry does struggle even more with some heavily mixed Americans, that's true. I think they can't distinguish small segments as well as 23andme does, if having the right references, what they often do not. Its an algorithm issue.
    I don't think it's only small segments they have problems with. As I've mentioned in other posts, my maternal grandmother was half Menorcan Spanish. Menorca, of course, is part of Catalonia, and presumably would be counted with northern Spain -- and therefore be closer to France.

Also, while my grandmother was half Spanish, it was not because one of her parents was Spanish but because both of her parents were also half Spanish. That can make a difference, in that it means she was not simply given a full set of 23 "Spanish" chromosomes, but two admixed sets. My grandmother's father had a Menorcan-born father and an Alsatian-born mother; and my grandmother's mother had a Menorcan-born father and a Mississippi-born mother who was French, Irish, Swiss, and Native American.

What that means is that my grandmother ought to have had some very large segments from her Spanish- and Alsatian-born grandparents. Even though these were very likely furthered reduced in size by the time I inherited whatever I did, we're still not talking about an extreme generational distance. It seems reasonable to suppose that I'd have a few segments of significant size (at least 10-20 cM) from my most recent Spanish ancestors.

I don't completely trust FTDNA's chromosome painting, but for whatever it's worth the largest "Southern European" segment it shows for me is 44 cM. One would think that this should be quite detectable, along with the dozens of other "Southern European" segments greater than 10 cM. (Many of which also exceed 20 cM.)

But clearly Ancestry didn't "see" any of these segments as French, either. And to come up with only 4% German for me suggests that they didn't identify my Alsatian ancestry as German, either; or as French. Or perhaps that is in fact the only part of my ancestry that Ancestry's algorithm labeled as German -- meaning that all of Palatine German ancestry was consigned to "England and Northwestern Europe".

I'd find it more understandable if nobody could identify my German ancestry. LivingDNA is the one other company that greater underestimates my German ancestry, but even they exceed Ancestry's estimate by over 12% (to 16.4%). Interestingly, LivingDNA's estimate based on my LivingDNA file was quite a bit higher: 37.8%. That's much closer to my paper trail.
    Last edited by geebee; 10-10-2021 at 07:31 AM.
    Besides British-German-Catalan, ancestry includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw & another NA tribe, possibly Catawba. Avatar picture is: my father, his father, & his father's father; baby is my eldest brother.

GB

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to geebee For This Useful Post:

Baltimore1937 (10-11-2021),  jadegreg (10-12-2021),  Riverman (10-09-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Iberian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-Z225
    mtDNA (M)
    H1c3*
    Y-DNA (M)
    G2a-Y65
    mtDNA (P)
    H5a

United States of America Portugal
    just checked my parents updated results... they still have a lot of outlandish ethnicities.

Mom:

10% Scottish + 13% wales

Dad:

14% france + 2% Ireland +2% scotland.

Compared to me:

4% Ireland (the rest Portuguese and Spanish).

Also- my sister now gets 100% iberian in her results... I'd assume as time goes on we all will reach that.
    Last edited by Luso; 10-11-2021 at 07:14 AM.
    History of the Algarve: Hidden Content

Paternal Lineage- R-Z225: São Bartolomeu de Messines- em Silves, Portugal

Maternal Lineage: H1c3: Estrela de Monchique- em Silves, Portugal

Silves, Portugal: Hidden Content

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Luso For This Useful Post:

Dts (10-12-2021),  jadegreg (10-12-2021),  lg16 (10-25-2021),  Mr.G (10-23-2021),  Pedro Ruben (10-11-2021),  Riverman (10-11-2021),  ssamlal (10-11-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northwestern European
    Nationality
    American

United States of America

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lg16 For This Useful Post:

jadegreg (11-12-2021),  Riverman (10-17-2021),  sktibo (10-17-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    british/spanish
    Nationality
    british
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b1b2a1a
    mtDNA (M)
    H6a1b

England Ireland Spain Northern Ireland
    they've given me Scottish ancestry ( I have no known ancestry from Scotland), and less Irish (I have loads of known Irish ancestry)
    too much Welsh (I have a known great great grandmother from Bala in North Wales)

at least they've reduced the French ancestry (I have no French ancestry)

They seem to be confusing Scottish ancestry with Northern English and or Irish...and still confusing some French ancestry with Northern Spanish

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to catman44 For This Useful Post:

lg16 (10-25-2021),  Mr.G (10-23-2021),  Riverman (10-23-2021)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Pred.Anglo-Saxon + Briton
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b A7066+, BY50830+
    mtDNA (M)
    U4b1a2 - FGS
    Y-DNA (M)
    ?
    mtDNA (P)
    I2

Canada England Wales Netherlands France Cornwall
    My father and his 2nd cousin who carries our surname both have very high Scandinavian results. My mother is almost a perfect match for the England and North Western Europe cluster (73%), and for whatever reason my genome is closer to hers than my father's. I don't necessarily believe the higher Scandinavian score is due to my surname necessarily, but I know one of the relatively close families through my family surname does descend from Danish vikings from Lincolnshire, so I suspect this is the connection. Perhaps people from NE England have higher scores of Denmark and Sweden. I have noticed Scotland and Wales is higher in SW England family connections, and SE families tend to be weighted more to England & NW Europe cluster.

My father's score.

Norway - 12%
    Denmark and Sweden - 11%
    Germanic Europe - 3%

My father's second cousin (same surname)
    Denmark and Sweden - 28%

I've noticed sometimes the buckets of ancestry get mixed up along the way. For instance, my father has Ireland 0%, my mother has Ireland 2%, but I have 8% somehow. However, my father also has Scotland - 27% (close Cornish connections), where as I only have 10%.
    Last edited by ADW_1981; 11-08-2021 at 03:55 AM.
    YDNA: R1b-BY50830 Stepney, London, UK George Wood b. 1782 English <-> Bavarian cluster 1100 BC
    m gf YDNA: ?? Gurr, James ~1740, Smarden, Kent, England.
    m gm YDNA: R1b-P311+ Beech, John Richard b. 1780, Lewes, England
    m ggf YDNA R1b-U106 Thomas, Edward b 1854, Sittingbourne, Kent
    p ggf YDNA: R1b-Z17901. Gould, John Somerset England 1800s.
    p ggf YDNA: R1b-L48. Scott, William Hamilton Ireland(?) 1800s

other:
    Turner: R-U152
    Welch: early 1800s E-M84 Kent, England.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ADW_1981 For This Useful Post:

jadegreg (11-12-2021),  lg16 (11-11-2021)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Pred.Anglo-Saxon + Briton
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b A7066+, BY50830+
    mtDNA (M)
    U4b1a2 - FGS
    Y-DNA (M)
    ?
    mtDNA (P)
    I2

Canada England Wales Netherlands France Cornwall
    Quote Originally Posted by Hrafnabú View Post
    I don’t doubt that you know more about this than I do. I know there are some very intelligent people on this forum. I am very interested in the origins of the English.
    The extinction of the Britons is largely exaggerated. The closest sample to modern English is still the Hinxton Britons, not the Anglo-Saxons. Why would that be? Good question, nobody knows for sure.
    YDNA: R1b-BY50830 Stepney, London, UK George Wood b. 1782 English <-> Bavarian cluster 1100 BC
    m gf YDNA: ?? Gurr, James ~1740, Smarden, Kent, England.
    m gm YDNA: R1b-P311+ Beech, John Richard b. 1780, Lewes, England
    m ggf YDNA R1b-U106 Thomas, Edward b 1854, Sittingbourne, Kent
    p ggf YDNA: R1b-Z17901. Gould, John Somerset England 1800s.
    p ggf YDNA: R1b-L48. Scott, William Hamilton Ireland(?) 1800s

other:
    Turner: R-U152
    Welch: early 1800s E-M84 Kent, England.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ADW_1981 For This Useful Post:

jadegreg (11-12-2021),  lg16 (11-11-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northwestern European
    Nationality
    American

United States of America

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lg16 For This Useful Post:

JMcB (11-11-2021),  Stefanie (11-12-2021)

Administrator
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    DF27
    mtDNA (M)
    V33

New Zealand Croatia Star of David Ireland England Poland
    6 years ago I decided to do a Nat Genographic test instead of an AncestryDNA test (bad decision in hindsight). Even though I'm 6 years late to the party, here are my results. Its a few days short of it being 4 weeks from activating the kit to getting the results (granted I did express postage), but its only taken 11 days since they received the sample to getting the results, so it doesn't seem like they mess about.

Observations:

1. Overall what I'd expect population wise, and is similar to FTDNA in some respects.
    2. I wasn't expecting such high Sweden & Denmark. Up until now I haven't really paid attention to AncestryDNA related threads. Is the majority of the 16% actually Western Euro getting caught up as Scandinavian?
    3. Wasn't expecting such a high amount of Welsh (one Welsh 6th great grandparent in the tree). Again, is this another case of English etc getting caught up and elevating it? I don't have the knowledge to know how distinct the British Isles are.

Ancestry on paper: English, Scottish, Irish, Welsh, Croatian, Ashkenazi, Polish and Māori.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BalkanKiwi For This Useful Post:

JonikW (11-16-2021),  laulei (11-18-2021),  lg16 (11-17-2021),  Riverman (11-17-2021),  td120 (11-17-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by BalkanKiwi View Post
    6 years ago I decided to do a Nat Genographic test instead of an AncestryDNA test (bad decision in hindsight). Even though I'm 6 years late to the party, here are my results. Its a few days short of it being 4 weeks from activating the kit to getting the results (granted I did express postage), but its only taken 11 days since they received the sample to getting the results, so it doesn't seem like they mess about.

Observations:

1. Overall what I'd expect population wise, and is similar to FTDNA in some respects.
    2. I wasn't expecting such high Sweden & Denmark. Up until now I haven't really paid attention to AncestryDNA related threads. Is the majority of the 16% actually Western Euro getting caught up as Scandinavian?
    3. Wasn't expecting such a high amount of Welsh (one Welsh 6th great grandparent in the tree). Again, is this another case of English etc getting caught up and elevating it? I don't have the knowledge to know how distinct the British Isles are.

High Sweden & Denmark is typical for AncestryDNA vs. 23andme in particular. You have to put it into context, because many Central Europeans get fairly high numbers for Scandinavian ancestry on Ancestry DNA and usually it means just German. I wouldn't take Welsh literally as well.
    Its definitely better than FTDNA, because there are no big leaps in the wrong direction usually, but you still have put things into context, like which ancestral elements being related and so close to each other that they can be interchangeable on the individual level. I would also check the range you got for every component.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Riverman For This Useful Post:

JonikW (11-18-2021),  lg16 (11-17-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Nationality
    Welsh
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L21 DF13 (father)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c9

Wales England
    Quote Originally Posted by BalkanKiwi View Post

Observations:

It is worth looking at the “range” for your allocations. For example, my 3% England and Northwestern Europe has a range of 0% to 13%.

AncestryDNA seems to deal well with its Wales category for testers with recent Welsh ancestry. There may be a tendency to over-allocate for others but your 9% looks high. You could do a search of matches for those with ancestors born in Wales.
    All 32 3xgreat grandparents were Welsh. Two 6xgreat grandparents from England and a few Irish or English surnames before 1800. Paper trail shows several C11th to C14th Anglo-Norman lines and C11th Norse-Irish lines.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Phoebe Watts For This Useful Post:

BalkanKiwi (11-18-2021),  jadegreg (11-18-2021),  JonikW (11-18-2021),  lg16 (11-17-2021),  Riverman (11-17-2021)

Page 50 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4048495051 LastLast