Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Do genetically 50% South Asian 50% East/SE Asian ethnic groups existed in South Asia?

  1. #1
    Registered Users
    Posts
    871
    Sex
    Omitted
    Ethnicity
    N/A

    Papua New Guinea Ghaznavid Dynasty ZanzibarSultanate Micronesia Oman Vanuatu

    Do genetically 50% South Asian 50% East/SE Asian ethnic groups existed in South Asia?

    It is already known that a lot of SE Asians tend have on average around 5-25% or more South Asian ancestry with some ethnicities such as the Rakhine of Western Myanmar and Acehnese of Northern Sumatra likely possessing up to 30-40%. But I wonder are their any ethnic groups in South Asia who are in the middle aka 50-50 mixes between South Asians and East/SE Asians? I heard of some recent mixes such as Chindians aka half Indian half Chinese in places like Singapore or Malaysia but they seem to be a rather recent phenomenon but I am eager to know do such ethnic groups/populations like this exist in the Indian subcontinent since ancient times?
    Last edited by Tsakhur; 09-10-2021 at 10:10 AM.

  2. #2
    Registered Users
    Posts
    505
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Spanish
    Nationality
    Spanish

    Spain
    I would say the Nepalese are mix of south asian and east asian

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sweuro For This Useful Post:

     Andre (09-10-2021),  Tsakhur (09-10-2021)

  4. #3
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,305
    Sex
    Location
    Nepal

    Quote Originally Posted by sweuro View Post
    I would say the Nepalese are mix of south asian and east asian
    Nepalese are mostly skewed on one or another different genetic poles/sides due to caste endogamy. Really hard to find tribes that are in the middle from Nepal.


    Newars of Kathmandu valley, Nepal are in the exact middle. They look like half Gangetic Rajput (or mix of Gangetic Rajput-Vaishya) - half Chokhopani.

    Target: Newar
    Distance: 2.1980% / 0.02197998
    53.4 NPL_Chokhopani_2700BP
    38.8 IRN_Shahr_I_Sokhta_BA3
    7.8 RUS_Srubnaya_Alakul_MLBA

    Target: Newar
    Distance: 1.4381% / 0.01438066
    52.6 NPL_Chokhopani_2700BP
    38.0 Telugu_GBR:HG04025.SG
    9.4 RUS_Srubnaya_Alakul_MLBA

    Nepal Tharus are also around similar since Chokhopani itself is one-sixth South Asian like.

    Target: Tharu
    Distance: 1.9194% / 0.01919409
    60.0 NPL_Chokhopani_2700BP
    38.6 Telugu_GBR:HG04025.SG
    1.4 RUS_Srubnaya_Alakul_MLBA
    Last edited by Kaazi; 09-10-2021 at 09:59 AM.

  5. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Kaazi For This Useful Post:

     AlluGobi (09-10-2021),  ESPLover4 (09-10-2021),  khanabadoshi (09-11-2021),  MonkeyDLuffy (09-10-2021),  okarinaofsteiner (09-10-2021),  parasar (09-10-2021),  Ryukendo (09-12-2021),  Sapporo (09-10-2021),  Tsakhur (09-10-2021)

  6. #4
    Registered Users
    Posts
    871
    Sex
    Omitted
    Ethnicity
    N/A

    Papua New Guinea Ghaznavid Dynasty ZanzibarSultanate Micronesia Oman Vanuatu
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaazi View Post
    Really hard to find tribes that are in the middle even from Nepal.

    Newars of Kathmandu valley, Nepal are in the exact middle. They look like half Gangetic Rajput (or mix of Gangetic Rajput-Vaishya) - half Chokhopani.

    Target: Newar
    Distance: 2.1980% / 0.02197998
    53.4 NPL_Chokhopani_2700BP
    38.8 IRN_Shahr_I_Sokhta_BA3
    7.8 RUS_Srubnaya_Alakul_MLBA

    Target: Newar
    Distance: 1.4381% / 0.01438066
    52.6 NPL_Chokhopani_2700BP
    38.0 Telugu_GBR:HG04025.SG
    9.4 RUS_Srubnaya_Alakul_MLBA

    Some Nepal Tharus are also around similar since Chokhopani itself is one-sixth South Asian like.

    Target: Tharu
    Distance: 1.9194% / 0.01919409
    60.0 NPL_Chokhopani_2700BP
    38.6 Telugu_GBR:HG04025.SG
    1.4 RUS_Srubnaya_Alakul_MLBA
    Why is it hard to find such tribes who are exactly intermediate?

    Their East Asian ancestry is Tibeto-Burman-like?


    Distance to: NPL_Chokhopani_2700BP
    0.01986838 Rai
    0.02624317 Sherpa
    0.03056287 Tibetan_Shigatse
    0.03091163 Tibetan_Shannan
    0.03115961 Nyishi
    0.03120166 Tibetan_Lhasa
    0.03175501 Gurung
    0.03322306 Tibetan_Nagqu
    0.03390569 Tibetan_Xunhua
    0.03875613 Tibetan_Chamdo
    0.04151480 Tibetan_Yajiang
    0.04344889 Qiang_Daofu
    0.04509551 Tibetan_Gangcha
    0.04702821 Tibetan_Yunnan
    0.04961854 Naga
    0.05109572 Tu
    0.05768959 Naxi
    0.05888956 Bonan
    0.05904458 Qiang_Danba
    0.05969558 Kom
    0.06073919 Kuki
    0.06085523 Hmar
    0.06164032 Mizo
    0.06165737 Tibetan_Gannan
    0.06185678 Tibetan_Xinlong

    Sorry for my ignorance but I noticed Chokhopani tend to be prefer in estimating the amount of East Asian ancestry in some South Asians rather than Mebrak or Samdzong. Why is that?

    Do you know any groups in the subcontinent who are close to half South Asian half SE Asian (Austroasiatic, Tai-Kadai, Austronesian, etc)?

  7. #5
    Moderator
    Posts
    1,828
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y2568
    mtDNA (M)
    R30b
    mtDNA (P)
    U9b1

    United States of America Pakistan Jammu and Kashmir
    Target: Kusunda
    Distance: 1.9448% / 0.01944804
    64.0 NPL_Chokhopani_2700BP
    21.0 S_AASI_Sim(Mala)
    10.4 IRN_Ganj_Dareh_N
    2.6 WHG
    2.0 BRA_LapaDoSanto_9600BP
    Sample: Kapisa ► Kapisa scaled
    Fit: 1.8505
    Results: CG IVCp 42
    Bustan BA 31
    Mys MLBA 17
    Bustan BA o1 7
    Chokhopani 2700BP 3

  8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kapisa For This Useful Post:

     AlluGobi (09-10-2021),  ESPLover4 (09-10-2021),  Kaazi (09-10-2021),  MonkeyDLuffy (09-10-2021),  Sapporo (09-10-2021),  Tsakhur (09-10-2021)

  9. #6
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,305
    Sex
    Location
    Nepal

    Quote Originally Posted by Tsakhur View Post
    Why is it hard to find such tribes who are exactly intermediate?

    Their East Asian ancestry is Tibeto-Burman-like?


    Distance to: NPL_Chokhopani_2700BP
    0.01986838 Rai
    0.02624317 Sherpa
    0.03056287 Tibetan_Shigatse
    0.03091163 Tibetan_Shannan
    0.03115961 Nyishi
    0.03120166 Tibetan_Lhasa
    0.03175501 Gurung
    0.03322306 Tibetan_Nagqu
    0.03390569 Tibetan_Xunhua
    0.03875613 Tibetan_Chamdo
    0.04151480 Tibetan_Yajiang
    0.04344889 Qiang_Daofu
    0.04509551 Tibetan_Gangcha
    0.04702821 Tibetan_Yunnan
    0.04961854 Naga
    0.05109572 Tu
    0.05768959 Naxi
    0.05888956 Bonan
    0.05904458 Qiang_Danba
    0.05969558 Kom
    0.06073919 Kuki
    0.06085523 Hmar
    0.06164032 Mizo
    0.06165737 Tibetan_Gannan
    0.06185678 Tibetan_Xinlong

    Sorry for my ignorance but I noticed Chokhopani tend to be prefer in estimating the amount of East Asian ancestry in some South Asians rather than Mebrak or Samdzong. Why is that?

    Do you know any groups in the subcontinent who are close to half South Asian half SE Asian (Austroasiatic, Tai-Kadai, Austronesian, etc)?
    There's a tribe/caste endogamy among Nepalese and strong identification with respective racial groups that prevented extensive mixing. I don't suggest Samdzong becoz it's from 1500 BP which could bear additional non-TB admixes.

    Half SE Asian could be found in East India Jharkhand-Bihar-Bengal region; Idk honestly. Maybe try PCA plots to find.
    Last edited by Kaazi; 09-10-2021 at 10:27 AM.

  10. #7
    Moderator
    Posts
    1,828
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y2568
    mtDNA (M)
    R30b
    mtDNA (P)
    U9b1

    United States of America Pakistan Jammu and Kashmir
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapisa View Post
    Target: Kusunda
    Distance: 1.9448% / 0.01944804
    64.0 NPL_Chokhopani_2700BP
    21.0 S_AASI_Sim(Mala)
    10.4 IRN_Ganj_Dareh_N
    2.6 WHG
    2.0 BRA_LapaDoSanto_9600BP
    I am only using NPL_Chokhopani_2700BP as a East Eurasian source. Kusunda is a language isolate and not linked to any other language in South Asia.
    Sample: Kapisa ► Kapisa scaled
    Fit: 1.8505
    Results: CG IVCp 42
    Bustan BA 31
    Mys MLBA 17
    Bustan BA o1 7
    Chokhopani 2700BP 3

  11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kapisa For This Useful Post:

     AlluGobi (09-10-2021),  Kaazi (09-10-2021),  parasar (09-10-2021),  Tsakhur (09-10-2021)

  12. #8
    Registered Users
    Posts
    871
    Sex
    Omitted
    Ethnicity
    N/A

    Papua New Guinea Ghaznavid Dynasty ZanzibarSultanate Micronesia Oman Vanuatu
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapisa View Post
    I am only using NPL_Chokhopani_2700BP as a East Eurasian source. Kusunda is a language isolate and not linked to any other language in South Asia.
    Can you use other sources like Mebrak, Samdzong?

  13. #9
    Registered Users
    Posts
    565
    Sex
    Omitted
    Ethnicity
    Mostly Chinese
    Nationality
    USA

    United States of America China
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsakhur View Post
    It is already known that a lot of SE Asians tend have on average around 5-25% or more South Asian ancestry with some ethnicities such as the Rakhine of Western Myanmar and Acehnese of Northern Sumatra likely possessing up to 30-40%. But I wonder are their any ethnic groups in South Asia who are in the middle aka 50-50 mixes between South Asians and East/SE Asians? I heard of some recent mixes such as Chindians aka half Indian half Chinese in places like Singapore or Malaysia but they seem to be a rather recent phenomenon but I am eager to know do such ethnic groups/populations like this exist in the Indian subcontinent since ancient times?
    Acehnese probably aren’t 30% South Asian on average lol. And Chokhopani definitely isn’t 1/6th South Asian (unless there’s some AASI and Iran_N ancestry in there I don’t know about)

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to okarinaofsteiner For This Useful Post:

     Ryukendo (09-12-2021)

  15. #10
    Moderator
    Posts
    1,828
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y2568
    mtDNA (M)
    R30b
    mtDNA (P)
    U9b1

    United States of America Pakistan Jammu and Kashmir
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsakhur View Post
    Can you use other sources like Mebrak, Samdzong?
    No because they are temporally not consistent.
    Sample: Kapisa ► Kapisa scaled
    Fit: 1.8505
    Results: CG IVCp 42
    Bustan BA 31
    Mys MLBA 17
    Bustan BA o1 7
    Chokhopani 2700BP 3

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Kapisa For This Useful Post:

     Tsakhur (09-11-2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-17-2021, 04:27 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-07-2021, 08:49 PM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-06-2017, 02:47 PM
  4. My East-Asian is not entirely South-Asian owed?
    By Deftextra in forum Autosomal (auDNA)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-11-2017, 04:27 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-16-2016, 11:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •