Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Faces of Three Ancient Egyptians Brought to Life Using 2,000-Year-Old DNA

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Michalis Moriopoulos View Post
    What do you mean?

We know more Egyptians are in the pipeline, if that's any consolation.
    I am referring to the over interpretation of this sample as being representative of Ancient Egypt.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mansamusa For This Useful Post:

Brandon S. Pilcher (10-04-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Mansamusa View Post
    I am referring to the over interpretation of this sample as being representative of Ancient Egypt.
    They might be representative and I don't think it's a coincidence they look like modern egyptians.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cabaon For This Useful Post:

gsenden (10-04-2021),  Ylang-Ylang (10-05-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Nationality
    American

United States of America
    Would be interesting if they could compare these reconstructions' features to those of the mummies the DNA was sampled from in the first place. It could test the ability of the technology to accurately reconstruct human facial features with D

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Greek + NW Euro
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-PF5197
    mtDNA (M)
    J1b1a

Greece United States of America
    I don't know what you realistically expect is going to happen in this space, but if I were you I'd be preparing myself for the strong possibility that these guys will be representative of their period and will also be similar to people from earlier periods, although not exactly the same. I predict the difference between Old Kingdom Egyptians and post-Hyksos Egyptians will be similar to the difference between Mycenaeans and Hellenistic Greeks-- not identical but still in the same class more or less. Any expectation of extreme differentiation between pre and post-Hyksos Egyptians is not realistic; spare yourself the disappointment now, trust me.
    Ελευθερία ή θάνατος.

7. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Michalis Moriopoulos For This Useful Post:

Alfa (10-05-2021),  altvred (10-05-2021),  Andriy (10-05-2021),  Cabaon (10-04-2021),  diini95 (10-05-2021),  etrusco (10-05-2021),  geneticsikiru (10-07-2021),  gsenden (10-04-2021),  Jack Johnson (10-10-2021),  JoeyP37 (10-05-2021),  Kopfjäger (10-05-2021),  MethCat (10-05-2021),  Mnemonics (10-05-2021),  Nebuchadnezzar II (10-04-2021),  whynot (10-18-2021),  XXD (10-21-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Michalis Moriopoulos View Post
    I don't know what you realistically expect is going to happen in this space, but if I were you I'd be preparing myself for the strong possibility that these guys will be representative of their period and will also be similar to people from earlier periods, although not exactly the same. I predict the difference between Old Kingdom Egyptians and post-Hyksos Egyptians will be similar to the difference between Mycenaeans and Hellenistic Greeks-- not identical but still in the same class more or less. Any expectation of extreme differentiation between pre and post-Hyksos Egyptians is not realistic; spare yourself the disappointment now, trust me.
    I have no idea what you mean by extreme differentiation. I am simply pointing out the naivete of people on this forum expecting aDNA from an ancient Macedonian living in Ancient Egypt to be representative of Ancient Egypt as a whole. It is similar to the naivete and cognitive dissonance of expecting Basal Eurasian to be something else besides African, to be honest. People on this forum need to learn to stop investing so much in shoddy methodology. Anyway, what you are saying is unclear. The argument is whether or not AE is indigenous ancestry. These samples were used and continue to be used to argue in favor of a Levantine/Eurasian origin for Ancient Egypt. We have been arguing that the population of Ancient Egypt was descended from an indigenous African population native to the Egyptian and Nubian Nile Valley and the surrounding Sahara deserts. This is the heart of the matter.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mansamusa For This Useful Post:

Brandon S. Pilcher (10-05-2021),  taharqa (10-05-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Nationality
    American

United States of America
    Despite agreeing with Mansamusa, can I just say that I'm damn tired of all the ancient Egyptian debates on this forum? Sheesh, you guys could at least have waited until more aDNA samples came down the pipeline so we would have more data to argue over.
    Last edited by Brandon S. Pilcher; 10-05-2021 at 02:59 AM.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brandon S. Pilcher For This Useful Post:

JoeyP37 (10-05-2021),  Lenny Nero (10-06-2021),  taharqa (10-05-2021)

Global Moderator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    NW Europe+Jewish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z11
    mtDNA (M)
    N1b1b1

Please let's not create drama where there is none. Basically all that's occurred in this thread is the sharing of some information about a study. Hardly anyone has commented on anything. If you wish to comment on the substance of the study posted here, feel free. Otherwise let's wait until a debate has actually been had before we make pronouncements about said debate.

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to passenger For This Useful Post:

Alfa (10-05-2021),  Brandon S. Pilcher (10-05-2021),  geneticsikiru (10-07-2021),  JMcB (10-05-2021),  Kopfjäger (10-05-2021),  Ruderico (10-05-2021),  theplayer (10-05-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex

We have been arguing that the population of Ancient Egypt was descended from an indigenous African population native to the Egyptian and Nubian Nile Valley and the surrounding Sahara deserts. This is the heart of the matter.
    So an indigenous African population native to the Nile Valley and surrounding Sahara deserts that was genetically like people from the Levant/Eurasia?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Somali
    Y-DNA (P)
    T-L208
    mtDNA (M)
    N1b2

Canada Somaliland
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamm View Post
    The one on the far right looks typically modern-day Egyptian, the two others on the left give me more a berber North-West African look.
    Oddly enough JK2911 is the sample that has more North African ancestry.
    He seems to entirely lack the Pastoral_N related ancestry that every other Egyptian sample has as well as having excess North African.
    JK2911 is a higher coverage sample which allows for more accurate imputation maybe thats why he looks more distinctly Egyptian.
    Last edited by Mnemonics; 10-05-2021 at 04:13 AM.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mnemonics For This Useful Post:

Alfa (10-05-2021),  Jack Johnson (10-10-2021),  JoeyP37 (10-05-2021),  Keneki20 (10-05-2021)

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by Philjames View Post
    So an indigenous African population native to the Nile Valley and surrounding Sahara deserts that was genetically like people from the Levant/Eurasia?
    Does this make any sense to you?

I mean, any sense at all?

Anyways, i have no intent to join any person on this very tiring topic.
    Let us all await more aDNA from all periods and regions in the Nile Valley. They will come
    Last edited by taharqa; 10-05-2021 at 11:57 AM.

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast