Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is 23andme a waste of money for full British isles people?

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M222

Northern Ireland Ireland Scotland

Is 23andme a waste of money for full British isles people?

AncestryDNA has pretty much answered my questions as to my origins. I do still have a fascination though with Dna testing so I bought a 23andme kit after the offer.

I have noticed that people from Ireland get regions in England where they have no ancestry. Do you think this is a waste of money for someone with relatively homogenous ancestry?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nqp15hhu For This Useful Post:

Aroon1916 (09-20-2021),  Robert1 (10-15-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Y-DNA (P)
    L21
    mtDNA (M)
    H

My sister did 23 and me. We have great papertrails and we know who all our GGGGG grandparents are. But 23 and me was just so generic it was useless. It didnt really even pick up particularly on the are where most of our ancestry is from. One of my parents came from a village where the family had lived since at least the 1500s to today and it didnt really pick up on it or the area even though they were notorious for only marrying among themselves for centuries.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alan For This Useful Post:

Aroon1916 (09-20-2021),  Bog Body (09-20-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    My sister did 23 and me. We have great papertrails and we know who all our GGGGG grandparents are. But 23 and me was just so generic it was useless. It didnt really even pick up particularly on the are where most of our ancestry is from. One of my parents came from a village where the family had lived since at least the 1500s to today and it didnt really pick up on it or the area even though they were notorious for only marrying among themselves for centuries.
    You deliver the explanation yourself: Small group and endogamous. 23andMe has a fairly simple but effective algorithm, since they just count your matches from a region.
    Since a lot of Irish moved to Britain, you just see that. Its like me having Berlin. Sure I have some sort of distant relative in Berlin, but that's because some of them moved there.
    Same for Irish getting London.
    They can just use what's there, not what being hidden in small groups which don’t test.
    I should get other regions on 23andMe as well, but no company has them all and that of 23andMe is good.
    It's more useful for British with non-British, non-Germanic ancestry.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Riverman For This Useful Post:

Aroon1916 (09-20-2021),  boilermeschew827 (09-20-2021),  Cascio (10-16-2021),  digital_noise (09-20-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North, West and East Euro
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-L365
    mtDNA (M)
    H1c3
    Y-DNA (M)
    I-CTS5966
    mtDNA (P)
    H2a3

United States of America Denmark France Prussia Russia Imperial Germany
    As Riverman said, the subregions are assigned based on your matches' locations or their grandparents , not necessarily where you have heritage. It might get close or exact in some cases, but it's likely by chance rather than the way Ancestry or MyHeritage assign groupings or GCs.

Examples of this would be my grandma for example - no regions or subregions assigned despite the laughably close connection to France. I also get Berlin, same as Riverman, but I have NW German ancestry - this is just a metropolitan area where distant relatives moved or their grandparents moved. My wife gets Germany every other update, despite the absence of German ancestry. Mom gets Italy every other update, despite the absence of Italian heritage and so on.
    Known Ancestry: NW Russian 25%, Central French 25%, North German 25%, Scandinavian (mostly Dane/Swede, distant Norwegian) 12.5%, Polish/Prussian 12.5%

AncestryDNA (2021 update): Eastern European and Russia 35%, Sweden and Denmark 23% Germanic Europe 22%, Baltics 10%, Ireland 5%, France 3%, Finland 1%, Malta 1%

23andMe (v5.9): French and German 41.1%, Eastern European 38%, Scandinavian 8%, Finnish 1.6%, British and Irish 0.8%, BNWE 10.2%, North African 0.2%, Broadly European 0.1%

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to boilermeschew827 For This Useful Post:

Aroon1916 (09-20-2021),  jstephan (09-21-2021),  Riverman (09-20-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English and Irish
    Nationality
    British

England Ireland Connacht East Anglia England North of England United Kingdom Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Nqp15hhu View Post
    AncestryDNA has pretty much answered my questions as to my origins. I do still have a fascination though with Dna testing so I bought a 23andme kit after the offer.

I have noticed that people from Ireland get regions in England where they have no ancestry. Do you think this is a waste of money for someone with relatively homogenous ancestry?
    Based on some of your results in the past I think it could be interesting to see whether you get 100% British and Irish or not. AncestryDNA can sometimes over smooth things.

Either way, you’ll have a bunch of new SNPs and matches to explore.

The regional breakdowns might not be all that interesting, but it might confirm some of the regions you got with AncestryDNA. For example, County Mayo, Merseyside/Liverpool and Essex were all in my top tens. And London, which is where a lot of my ancestors lived. But then everyone gets London because Londoners are very regionally mixed.
    Last edited by lana6765; 09-20-2021 at 08:45 PM.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lana6765 For This Useful Post:

Aroon1916 (09-20-2021),  jadegreg (09-21-2021),  lg16 (11-13-2021),  Robert1 (10-15-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    L21>BY3437>Y160102
    mtDNA (M)
    H6a1b2h
    mtDNA (P)
    H27e

Ireland Ireland Connacht Ireland County Roscommon Ireland County Galway Ireland County Mayo
    I tested with 23andMe mainly for the matches. I was also curious about their health & wellness as well as hoping that I'd have some male matches who would share my dad's Y-DNA line. I was curious about what 23andMe would give me as an ancestry composition but I wasn't expecting much either.

I get 99.9% British & Irish as well as 0.1% Peninsular Arab.

I get Ireland as a highly likely match. The strongest evidence of my ancestry was found in the following 10 regions:
    1. County Mayo
    2. County Galway
    3. County Dublin
    4. County Cork
    5. County Donegal
    6. County Roscommon
    7. County Kerry
    8. County Sligo
    9. County Leitrim
    10. County Tipperary
    Roscommon should be number 1 followed by Galway and then Mayo. There are only 26 counties so 38% of Irish counties were listed as strong matches. It would be bad if all 3 weren't listed somewhere in the top 10.

I also get United Kingdom as a highly likely match. The strongest evidence of my ancestry was found in the following 10 regions:
    1. Glasgow City
    2. Greater London
    3. Greater Manchester
    4. Merseyside
    5. West Midlands
    6. West Yorkshire
    7. Tyne and Wear
    8. Edinburgh
    9. Belfast
    10. Kent
    Last edited by FionnSneachta; 09-20-2021 at 08:31 PM.
    Ancestry: Ireland (Paper trail ≅ 81.25% Roscommon, 12.5% Galway, 6.25% Mayo)
    Y-DNA (P) ancestor (Y): Kelly b. c1830 in Co. Roscommon (UŪ Maine)
    mtDNA (P) ancestor: Fleming b. c1831 in Co. Roscommon
    mtDNA (M) ancestor: McDermott b. c1814 in Co. Roscommon
    mtDNA Great grandfather: Connella b. c1798 in Co. Roscommon (T2a1a8)
    Y-DNA 2x great grandfather: Higgins b. c1816 in Co. Roscommon (R-DF109)
    Y-DNA 3x great grandfather: Fleming b. c1829 in Co. Roscommon (R-Z23534)

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FionnSneachta For This Useful Post:

Aroon1916 (09-20-2021),  jadegreg (09-21-2021),  lg16 (11-13-2021),  MacEochaidh (09-23-2021),  Riverman (09-20-2021),  Robert1 (10-15-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V13
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c
    mtDNA (P)
    I1a1

Germany Italy Sweden Netherlands
    I dont think you'd get much out of it other than another genetic opinion to confuse things. Like mentioned, I think British, Irish and possibly even Scottish are all in the same category, and it relies on self reporting of your matches to further drill down within these regions. Larger cities tend to win out often, despite possibly not being 100% accurate. I mean, most English people have relatives from London so it gets sort of misrepresented.

Ive done all the available "commercial" DNA tests and all more or less tell the same picture, but 23 and me was the only one to easily pick out Swedish ancestry from what is usually a massive chunk of Germanic. Ancestry recently has managed to sort of do this, but to a much lesser degree of accuracy. I'd say go for it if you already have the kit or if this was the first test you were to take. Theres a sort of thrill, not unlike gambling, that I get when I am expecting results, even if I know deep down nothing is going to really change.
    E-V13 -> E-PH1246 -> E-BY14160*
    distance%=4.6465"
    Barcin_N,47.2
    Yamnaya_Samara,41.4
    WHG,10.6
    Ethiopia_4500BP,0.8

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to digital_noise For This Useful Post:

Aroon1916 (09-20-2021),  Bog Body (09-20-2021)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M222

Quote Originally Posted by lana6765 View Post
    Based on some of your results in the past I think it could be interesting to see whether you get 100% British and Irish or not. AncestryDNA can sometimes over smooth things.

Either way, youíll have a bunch of new SNPs and matches to explore.

The regional breakdowns might not be all that interesting, but it might confirm some of the regions you got with AncestryDNA. For example, County Mayo, Merseyside/Liverpool and Essex were all in my top tens. And London, which is where a lot of my ancestors lived. But then everyone gets London because Londoners are very regionally mixed.
    Maybe 95% I do have a small amount of Germanic Dna.

It showed up before ancestry formed the British isles ethnicities.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Nqp15hhu For This Useful Post:

Robert1 (10-15-2021)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M222

Quote Originally Posted by FionnSneachta View Post
    I tested with 23andMe mainly for the matches. I was also curious about their health & wellness as well as hoping that I'd have some male matches who would share my dad's Y-DNA line. I was curious about what 23andMe would give me as an ancestry composition but I wasn't expecting much either.

I get 99.9% British & Irish as well as 0.1% Peninsular Arab.

I get Ireland as a highly likely match. The strongest evidence of my ancestry was found in the following 10 regions:
    1. County Mayo
    2. County Galway
    3. County Dublin
    4. County Cork
    5. County Donegal
    6. County Roscommon
    7. County Kerry
    8. County Sligo
    9. County Leitrim
    10. County Tipperary
    Roscommon should be number 1 followed by Galway and then Mayo. There are only 26 counties so 38% of Irish counties were listed as strong matches. It would be bad if all 3 weren't listed somewhere in the top 10.

I also get United Kingdom as a highly likely match. The strongest evidence of my ancestry was found in the following 10 regions:
    1. Glasgow City
    2. Greater London
    3. Greater Manchester
    4. Merseyside
    5. West Midlands
    6. West Yorkshire
    7. Tyne and Wear
    8. Edinburgh
    9. Belfast
    10. Kent
    So is it like AncestryDNA? I tried to find Northern Irish regions and can only see Belfast which is useless for me. I would hope to find counties in NI.

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M222

Quote Originally Posted by digital_noise View Post
    I dont think you'd get much out of it other than another genetic opinion to confuse things. Like mentioned, I think British, Irish and possibly even Scottish are all in the same category, and it relies on self reporting of your matches to further drill down within these regions. Larger cities tend to win out often, despite possibly not being 100% accurate. I mean, most English people have relatives from London so it gets sort of misrepresented.

Ive done all the available "commercial" DNA tests and all more or less tell the same picture, but 23 and me was the only one to easily pick out Swedish ancestry from what is usually a massive chunk of Germanic. Ancestry recently has managed to sort of do this, but to a much lesser degree of accuracy. I'd say go for it if you already have the kit or if this was the first test you were to take. Theres a sort of thrill, not unlike gambling, that I get when I am expecting results, even if I know deep down nothing is going to really change.
    Oh I hope it wasnít a waste of money!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast