Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is 23andme a waste of money for full British isles people?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    1/2 Hun, 1/2 DE(minor UK)
    Y-DNA (P)
    N-Y17696 YSEQ
    mtDNA (M)
    H1e1a

United States of America
    I would say go for it if you want to get another group of relative matches, that could be reason enough for some. And the excitement of waiting for the results is always fun.

As far as the recent ancestor locations that they provide, here is my 2 cents on that issue:

Regardless of the methodology used, 23andMe is the only one of the big three (23andMe, AncestryDNA, MH) that assigned me the proper and obvious recent ancestor locations - Germany and Hungary.

I only get Cornwall, England from AncestryDNA. I have a great-great grandparent from England, so that's good. But I have a bazillion ancestors from Germany - but I get NO genetic community. Oh and a bazillion ancestors from Hungary, no genetic community. Just England, that's it.

MH is even worse, no Germany, nothing close to Hungary.. I do get Lithuania, Norway, Canada, and the Carolinas in the USA. Gee, thanks. Canada and the Carolinas is fine, they represent mixed British Isles/French/German heritage folks, but the Lithuania and Norway are strange nothing even close in my family tree.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.G For This Useful Post:

Riverman (09-21-2021)

Silver Class Member
    Sex
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA (M)
    T2B-T152C

England Scotland Austrian Empire Canada Quebec Netherlands
    You know you can’t resist. Besides, how often does it go half off?
    Flags represent known or paper trail ancestry from greatest to least:
    England, Scotland, Austro-Hungarian Empire, (Galicia Poland) French-Canadian, and Dutch American settlers.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sktibo For This Useful Post:

aafusc2988 (09-27-2021),  Robert1 (10-15-2021)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Australian & Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    M222 (S588)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c3f

Ireland Australia Ireland County Tipperary Ireland Munster Ireland County Roscommon Ireland Connacht
    Because I have tested with a few companies I'd most probably say Ancestry is the best for someone who is Irish because of the GCs. Most companies will give an Irish person nearly 100% so unless they can add something like GCs they aren't very interesting or informative.

My ancestry is from Sligo/Roscommon and North Tipperary. 23&Me didn't give me Sligo or Roscommon in my Top 10 Irish matches.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jessie For This Useful Post:

aafusc2988 (09-27-2021),  Bog Body (09-21-2021),  FionnSneachta (09-21-2021),  JMcB (09-21-2021),  MacEochaidh (09-25-2021),  MitchellSince1893 (09-21-2021),  Riverman (09-21-2021),  Robert1 (10-15-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English and Irish
    Nationality
    British

England Ireland Connacht East Anglia England North of England United Kingdom Ireland
    Come to think of it, my maps kind of match up with population density maps. Not so for Ireland. Although being fair, the population density of County Mayo was higher in the past.

Although it also happens to kind of match up with my ancestry as well. I just have ancestry from really common places.

https://www.campop.geog.cam.ac.uk/re...9c/population/

Last edited by lana6765; 09-21-2021 at 03:41 AM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lana6765 For This Useful Post:

jadegreg (09-21-2021),  MitchellSince1893 (09-21-2021),  Robert1 (10-15-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northwest European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-Z58
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c

United States Grand Union Denmark Ireland Germany Imperial
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessie View Post
    Because I have tested with a few companies I'd most probably say Ancestry is the best for someone who is Irish because of the GCs. Most companies will give an Irish person nearly 100% so unless they can add something like GCs they aren't very interesting or informative.

My ancestry is from Sligo/Roscommon and North Tipperary. 23&Me didn't give me Sligo or Roscommon in my Top 10 Irish matches.
    My strongest paper trail is to Laois, which was not on my top 10 Irish counties list from 23andMe. My second strongest paper trail is to Clare which showed up as fifth on the top 10 list (which AncestryDNA GCs nailed with gnats-ass precision to Loophead Peninsula in West Clare.)
    Last edited by Bog Body; 09-21-2021 at 04:44 AM.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bog Body For This Useful Post:

FionnSneachta (09-21-2021),  Jessie (09-21-2021),  MacEochaidh (09-25-2021),  MitchellSince1893 (09-21-2021)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M222

Northern Ireland Ireland Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    I would say go for it if you want to get another group of relative matches, that could be reason enough for some. And the excitement of waiting for the results is always fun.

As far as the recent ancestor locations that they provide, here is my 2 cents on that issue:

Regardless of the methodology used, 23andMe is the only one of the big three (23andMe, AncestryDNA, MH) that assigned me the proper and obvious recent ancestor locations - Germany and Hungary.

I only get Cornwall, England from AncestryDNA. I have a great-great grandparent from England, so that's good. But I have a bazillion ancestors from Germany - but I get NO genetic community. Oh and a bazillion ancestors from Hungary, no genetic community. Just England, that's it.

MH is even worse, no Germany, nothing close to Hungary.. I do get Lithuania, Norway, Canada, and the Carolinas in the USA. Gee, thanks. Canada and the Carolinas is fine, they represent mixed British Isles/French/German heritage folks, but the Lithuania and Norway are strange nothing even close in my family tree.
    Thanks Iíll wait and see what their results say. I suppose they may update their regions in the future.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Nqp15hhu For This Useful Post:

Mr.G (09-21-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English
    Nationality
    English
    Y-DNA (P)
    FT389203
    mtDNA (M)
    H1c3
    Y-DNA (M)
    I1a1b1a1~ L22, P109.

England
    In my opinion I think it is 23 & Me guesswork and therefore I do not trust the results they give. They base their results on other peoples DNA, locations, and not your own. Their migrations etc are also a joke, and they seem only to want more health information etc from you.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V13
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c
    mtDNA (P)
    I1a1

Germany Italy Sweden Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul333 View Post
    In my opinion I think it is 23 & Me guesswork and therefore I do not trust the results they give. They base their results on other peoples DNA, locations, and not your own. Their migrations etc are also a joke, and they seem only to want more health information etc from you.
    not correct. They assign your autosomal results based on your own dna, its the regional breakdowns within each category that they crowd source from your matches.

By migrations are you talking about the ancestry timeline? If yes, I agree its a bit of a gimmick but its clear how they arrive at the results. They also have a whitye paper explaining it, but its last update was 2017...
    E-V13 -> E-PH1246 -> E-BY14160*
    distance%=4.6465"
    Barcin_N,47.2
    Yamnaya_Samara,41.4
    WHG,10.6
    Ethiopia_4500BP,0.8

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to digital_noise For This Useful Post:

boilermeschew827 (09-23-2021),  Robert1 (10-15-2021),  sktibo (09-22-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English
    Nationality
    English
    Y-DNA (P)
    FT389203
    mtDNA (M)
    H1c3
    Y-DNA (M)
    I1a1b1a1~ L22, P109.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by digital_noise View Post
    not correct. They assign your autosomal results based on your own dna, its the regional breakdowns within each category that they crowd source from your matches.

By migrations are you talking about the ancestry timeline? If yes, I agree its a bit of a gimmick but its clear how they arrive at the results. They also have a whitye paper explaining it, but its last update was 2017...
    No Im actually talking about the Y, & Mtdna map migrations of your paternal Line, and your maternal line.

My Paternal Y H P96, map is showing only two branches to India and Eastern India ?, which is completely confusing and wrong, I dont believe my journey came from India whatsoever.

My Maternal H Map splits into Four groups, one heading to the far reaches of Siberia it seems, another into Saudia Arabia, one to Northern Europe, and one to Western Europe,then crossing from Southern Europe back into to Africa. Which one or route is the actual route for H1c3?

I think the information they rely on is way out of Date, and totally confusing today
    Last edited by Paul333; 09-23-2021 at 04:19 PM.

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M222

Northern Ireland Ireland Scotland
    23andMe are very slow. Iíve been waiting 9 days since the parcel was posted to my house! Itís still not here!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast