Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Living DNA autosomal results question

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Living DNA autosomal results question

Hi Guys,

Just got my Living DNA results (below). I wonder how this might help with a few genealogy questions:

1. How many generations does this deal with?

2. Regarding the Irish percentage - very low (1.4%); but I have no known Irish ancestry. How significant is this percentage in the number of generations that Living DNA cover?

Any advice welcome!

Great Britain and Ireland
    100%
    Northern Ireland and Southwest Scotland
    45%
    South Central England
    14.4%
    Northwest Scotland
    9.5%
    Northwest England
    7.2%
    Cornwall
    5.1%
    Aberdeenshire
    5.1%
    Northumbria
    2.8%
    South Wales
    1.8%
    Devon
    1.7%
    South Yorkshire
    1.7%
    Southeast England
    1.5%
    North Wales
    1.5%
    Ireland
    1.4%
    South England
    1.2%

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M222

Northern Ireland Ireland Scotland
    LivingDNA Irish is not accurate

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Nqp15hhu For This Useful Post:

Bog Body (09-29-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Quote Originally Posted by Nqp15hhu View Post
    LivingDNA Irish is not accurate
    I guess if there's some signal there must be something to it, even if it's very little. I'm just trying to work out where, and how far back, I may have a link to Ireland. So far the only hint is on a line which is in Birmingham in the mid 1800's. There's a Joseph Boucher in that line, so far we can't trace a birth in the UK. But I read that Birmingham has the highest Irish ancestry per capita in the UK, and the time would be right for mass immigration. I read that Boucher does come up in Ireland, especially Leinster and in the north. Probably Anglo-Norman surname ultimately; but there are still Bouchers in Ireland (more than Butcher, for example).

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English, Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-DF98
    mtDNA (M)
    X2b4

United Kingdom England Wales Devon Cornwall
    Hi Jon, there may well be something to it, though as Owen says, LivingDNA, particularly for the smaller %, is a 'crapshoot'. I think LivingDNA is supposed to cover some 5 or 6 generations according to their blurb, though we don't know really. No White paper! I can't verify whether Birmingham has the highest density of Irish in the UK, I would have thought that Liverpool, and obviously London and Glasgow, were fair shouts, though I can verify they are certainly not thin on the ground...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jadegreg For This Useful Post:

Jon (09-29-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Quote Originally Posted by jadegreg View Post
    Hi Jon, there may well be something to it, though as Owen says, LivingDNA, particularly for the smaller %, is a 'crapshoot'. I think LivingDNA is supposed to cover some 5 or 6 generations according to their blurb, though we don't know really. No White paper! I can't verify whether Birmingham has the highest density of Irish in the UK, I would have thought that Liverpool, and obviously London and Glasgow, were fair shouts, though I can verify they are certainly not thin on the ground...
    Hi jadegreg, and thanks!

Actually, most of my midlands ancestry is from...Wolverhampton (!). Maybe we're related at some stage. At any rate, I'm following Wolves' fortunes in the Premier League with interest

Best,

Jon

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M222

Northern Ireland Ireland Scotland
    Tbh Iím surprised your Irish is that low. There might be some Irish in your SW Scotland group as LivingDNA seems to interchange and mix that with Ireland.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Nqp15hhu For This Useful Post:

Jon (10-03-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English and Irish
    Nationality
    British

England Ireland Connacht East Anglia England North of England United Kingdom Ireland
    I’ve heard of Irish immigration to Birmingham before, so there could be something to it! But honestly I’m not sure how good Living DNA are at separating it.

Liverpool is probably one of the most famous Irish destinations in England. I think that’s because it was a popular port for Irish migrants to land at in the mid 1800s. A lot also moved on to other cities or to America from Liverpool. I’m a descendent of an Irish guy who settled in Liverpool though!
    Last edited by lana6765; 09-29-2021 at 09:34 PM.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lana6765 For This Useful Post:

Aroon1916 (09-30-2021),  jadegreg (09-30-2021),  Jon (10-03-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English and Irish
    Nationality
    British

England Ireland Connacht East Anglia England North of England United Kingdom Ireland
    Apparently this shows Irish born people as a percentage of total population in England in 1851. I think part of Birmingham is red:

https://www.populationspast.org/reso..._born_1851.pdf

1851 is near the end of the Great Famine, though I’ve heard many Irish people migrated after this period.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lana6765 For This Useful Post:

Aroon1916 (09-30-2021),  Cunobelinus_T (09-30-2021),  jadegreg (09-30-2021),  Jon (10-03-2021),  MitchellSince1893 (09-30-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English, Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-DF98
    mtDNA (M)
    X2b4

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Hi jadegreg, and thanks!

Actually, most of my midlands ancestry is from...Wolverhampton (!). Maybe we're related at some stage. At any rate, I'm following Wolves' fortunes in the Premier League with interest

Best,

Jon
    While, I'm not a Wolverhampton native, my three neighbours are, and they both are of Irish descent. One from Donegal, and the other neighbours from Clare/Waterford. To say that they don't have an extended network of relatives, would do understatements a disservice.....And best of luck with Wolves, I think you may be needing it since Nuno departed......
    Last edited by jadegreg; 09-30-2021 at 01:01 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jadegreg For This Useful Post:

Jon (10-03-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English, Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-DF98
    mtDNA (M)
    X2b4

Quote Originally Posted by lana6765 View Post
    Apparently this shows Irish born people as a percentage of total population in England in 1851. I think part of Birmingham is red:

https://www.populationspast.org/reso..._born_1851.pdf

1851 is near the end of the Great Famine, though I’ve heard many Irish people migrated after this period.
    Thanks for that Lana. Doesn't look like any red blobs for Birmingham, though rather surprised by the sizable blob in Northampton. I know lots of Scottish came down for the steel industry, but I had no idea that the Irish headed over in any number..........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast