Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Living DNA autosomal results question

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English and Irish
    Nationality
    British

England Ireland Connacht East Anglia England North of England United Kingdom Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by jadegreg View Post
    Thanks for that Lana. Doesn't look like any red blobs for Birmingham, though rather surprised by the sizable blob in Northampton. I know lots of Scottish came down for the steel industry, but I had no idea that the Irish headed over in any number..........
    It’s a shame they didn’t put in the town/city names! The boundaries don’t quite match up with modern county boundaries so it’s hard to locate them! Could that be Coventry?
    Last edited by lana6765; 09-30-2021 at 12:24 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lana6765 For This Useful Post:

jadegreg (09-30-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English, Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-DF98
    mtDNA (M)
    X2b4

United Kingdom England Wales Devon Cornwall
    Quote Originally Posted by lana6765 View Post
    Itís a shame they didnít put in the town/city names! The borders donít quite match up with modern borders so itís hard to locate them! Could that be Coventry?
    Could be, Certainly appears to be the western edge of Northamptonshire/Warwickshire Border. Just looked at a thesis on Geography of Northampton settlement 1851-1871. Tiny numbers of Irish! Coventry, and the extended area is certainly a better bet.....

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/...nalCode=rigy20

and for Jon

https://uptheossroad.wordpress.com/2...rhampton-1851/
    Last edited by jadegreg; 09-30-2021 at 12:59 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jadegreg For This Useful Post:

Aroon1916 (09-30-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Quote Originally Posted by jadegreg View Post
    While, I'm not a Wolverhampton native, my three neighbours are, and they both are of Irish descent. One from Donegal, and the other neighbours from Clare/Waterford. To say that they don't have an extended network of relatives, would do understatements a disservice.....And best of luck with Wolves, I think you may be needing it since Nuno departed......
    Thanks! They're a fighty little team, which suits me as a follower of the Scottish national team as well My grandmother used to regale me with tales of the glory days of Wolves...but in the 80's when I grew up, there was no way I was supporting them

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

jadegreg (10-04-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Quote Originally Posted by Nqp15hhu View Post
    Tbh Iím surprised your Irish is that low. There might be some Irish in your SW Scotland group as LivingDNA seems to interchange and mix that with Ireland.
    Honestly, I was also surprised it was that low. I mean almost half of my known ancestry, both sides, is from Ayrshire and Dumfreis/Galloway, right down there on the SW coast. There is no way that there wouldn't have been movement back and forth across between there and Ireland. But maybe it's just too far back for Living DNA to catch.

Another thing is the Y-DNA side, which I think you know is L193 for me. This really is a weird one. L513 is widespread, and as far as I know most represented in those with Scottish or Irish roots. But L193 specifically is really very Scottish - I think even when guys from Ireland pop up with it, they trace back to Scotland eventually. And with no discernible connection to northern England that I know of in L193, the only group/s left are the indigenous iron age Caledonians who 'became' the Picts. But I must say I'm just basing that on the patterns of frequency I've seen so far.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

jadegreg (10-04-2021),  JMcB (10-03-2021),  Nqp15hhu (10-03-2021)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M222

Northern Ireland Ireland Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Honestly, I was also surprised it was that low. I mean almost half of my known ancestry, both sides, is from Ayrshire and Dumfreis/Galloway, right down there on the SW coast. There is no way that there wouldn't have been movement back and forth across between there and Ireland. But maybe it's just too far back for Living DNA to catch.

Another thing is the Y-DNA side, which I think you know is L193 for me. This really is a weird one. L513 is widespread, and as far as I know most represented in those with Scottish or Irish roots. But L193 specifically is really very Scottish - I think even when guys from Ireland pop up with it, they trace back to Scotland eventually. And with no discernible connection to northern England that I know of in L193, the only group/s left are the indigenous iron age Caledonians who 'became' the Picts. But I must say I'm just basing that on the patterns of frequency I've seen so far.
    I donít think LivingDNA can separate Southern Scottish and Ulster Dna. My dad gets a tonne of SW Scotland whilst I am 85% Irish. I donít personally believe that to be true, nor does it add up.

Your results appear to be Germanic/northern British.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Nqp15hhu For This Useful Post:

Jon (10-05-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Quote Originally Posted by Nqp15hhu View Post
    I don’t think LivingDNA can separate Southern Scottish and Ulster Dna. My dad gets a tonne of SW Scotland whilst I am 85% Irish. I don’t personally believe that to be true, nor does it add up.

Your results appear to be Germanic/northern British.
    Actually in fairness to LivingDNA the results are exactly what my known ancestry would reflect. My father's line (both grandparents) from SW Scotland, with the L193 obviously on my grandad's side. My mother's father also from southern Scotland (a borders Maxwell); my mother's mother from Wolverhampton...but with a family history of coming from the Cotswolds area of Gloucestershire. The relatively high (9.5%) NW Scotland is probably my maternal g-grandmother's line which came down from Oban/the Isle of Kerrera to Glasgow in the 1800's during the clearances.

This seems to be precisely what the results say. I basically end up around 65% Scottish, 35% English, with very little from Ireland, and very little even from Wales (which also surprises me given how close my English ancestry is to the Welsh border).
    Last edited by Jon; 10-05-2021 at 10:48 AM.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Cunobelinus_T (10-06-2021),  FionnSneachta (10-07-2021),  jadegreg (10-06-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English, Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-DF98
    mtDNA (M)
    X2b4

United Kingdom England Wales Devon Cornwall
    ....... (which also surprises me given how close my English ancestry is to the Welsh border).[/QUOTE]

A number of testers that would expect Welsh Borders within the mix, have found that at least some of that has gone into the South Central England category. It all depends on whether they are using firm geographical borders for their 'new' reference sample inclusion....as opposed to where it groups' genetically speaking.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jadegreg For This Useful Post:

Jon (10-06-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English/Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2-L26(LivingDNA)
    mtDNA (M)
    K1c1(LivingDNA)

Wales England United Kingdom
    Despite my paternal family living on the Shropshire/Wales border for the last 220 years or so, I only show 2.4% North Wales and 2% South Wales Border. I'm guessing the sample size is small for this part of the country. My first LivingDNA data set in 2019 had no South Wales Border content at all!

I think the area around the Coventry had clusters of Irish immigrants working on the railways and canals from the 1800s onwards obviously peaking in the 1840s. Looking for my own ancestors in the area around the towns of Bedworth and Exhall, just NE of Coventry and close to where the M69 and M6 cross today, there was evidence of Irish workers who were not then employed in the coal mines or ribbon weaving industries which were the traditional occupations for that area.

SMJ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12