Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does blonde hair and blue eyes go together in europeans?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Russo-Moksha-Mari-Ukr
    Nationality
    Russian/Murican

Russia Imperial Ukraine Finland

Does blonde hair and blue eyes go together in europeans?

I can't speak for western europeans, because I oftensee western europeans with blue eyes and dark hair - but in regards to eastern europeans this seems to be true.
    If an eastern european has blue eyes, it is most likely he/she has some degree of blondism. If an eastern european has blonde hair, it is most likely he/she has blue eyes as well. However if an eastern european is brown haired, then the likelyhood of blue eyes is close to none. I almost never see eastern europeans with the classical "North atlantid" combo of blue eyes + black hair. In my family, i cannot think of a single instance where eyecolor was not directly correlated to haircolor.
    The blue eyed family members I have are all blonde. The brown eyed family members I have are all brown haired. There is not a single exception.
    What are your thoughts?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to al.Krivich For This Useful Post:

ceribell (12-03-2021),  Finn (11-29-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italian Alpine
    Nationality
    Australian and Italian
    Y-DNA (P)
    T1a2b- SK1480
    mtDNA (M)
    H95a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-S8172
    mtDNA (P)
    T2b17

Australia Italy Veneto Friuli Italy Trentino Alto Adige Italy Ladinia Austria Tirol
    Quote Originally Posted by al.Krivich View Post
    I can't speak for western europeans, because I oftensee western europeans with blue eyes and dark hair - but in regards to eastern europeans this seems to be true.
    If an eastern european has blue eyes, it is most likely he/she has some degree of blondism. If an eastern european has blonde hair, it is most likely he/she has blue eyes as well. However if an eastern european is brown haired, then the likelyhood of blue eyes is close to none. I almost never see eastern europeans with the classical "North atlantid" combo of blue eyes + black hair. In my family, i cannot think of a single instance where eyecolor was not directly correlated to haircolor.
    The blue eyed family members I have are all blonde. The brown eyed family members I have are all brown haired. There is not a single exception.
    What are your thoughts?
    I tried to figure out hair colour and eye colour in family members and there is no trend in most parts ...especially hair colour

my great grandfather ............eye and hair
    Green and Blonde

Grandfather
    Green and chestnut ( red -brown )

Father
    Green and Black

me
    Green and born blond , then mid brown

sons
    both Blue eyes ......oldest has blond hair and other black

grandsons
    both born blue eyes, both changed eye colour at 2yo...now ........ Green and Black hair for youngest..... and older one, Grey and Blond hair

no brown eyes in my family except my sister ..................my mother hazel eyes

my wife
    Blue eyes and blond hair

My Path = ( K-M9+, LT-P326+, T-M184+, L490+, M70+, PF5664+, L131+, L446+, CTS933+, CTS3767+, CTS8862+, Z19945+, BY143483+ )

Grandfather via paternal grandmother = I1-CTS6397 yDna
    Great grandmother paternal side = T1a1e mtDna
    Son's mtDna = K1a4p

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Russo-Moksha-Mari-Ukr
    Nationality
    Russian/Murican

Quote Originally Posted by vettor View Post
    I tried to figure out hair colour and eye colour in family members and there is no trend in most parts ...especially hair colour

my great grandfather ............eye and hair
    Green and Blonde

Grandfather
    Green and chestnut ( red -brown )

Father
    Green and Black

me
    Green and born blond , then mid brown

sons
    both Blue eyes ......oldest has blond hair and other black

grandsons
    both born blue eyes, both changed eye colour at 2yo...now ........ Green and Black hair for youngest..... and older one, Grey and Blond hair

no brown eyes in my family except my sister ..................my mother hazel eyes

my wife
    Blue eyes and blond hair
    Green is an intermediate color between blue and brown. I dont count it as a light color.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-YP445
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c2b

England Germany Palatinate Italy Sicily Ireland Munster Acadia Mercia
    I am 88% Northwest European (English, Irish, north French, west German) and while I have brown hair and eyes, genotyping indicates I have the recessive genes for both blond hair and blue eyes. I can also tell my brother does as well, although as he has not been tested, he was blond as a youth and both his children have blue eyes. Our maternal grandmother has blue eyes, and a maternal uncle has both blue eyes and blond hair. Both parents have brown hair and eyes as I do.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Polish/British Isles
    Nationality
    U.S.
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y154732
    mtDNA (M)
    H1
    mtDNA (P)
    J1c2

Poland England Ireland Munster

Correlations between pigmentation phenotypes

The impact of correlations between pigmentation phenotypes and underlying genotypes on genetic prediction of pigmentation traits.
    doi:10.1016/j.fsigen.2020.102395

2.1 Phenotype and genotype data
    The data used here were all from the previous IrisPlex, HIrisPlex and HIrisPlex-S projects (https://hirisplex.erasmusmc.nl/) as described elsewhere [[19],[22],[26]] and represent a subset of 762 individual datasets of different populations from Europe and the US for which a complete pigmentation phenotype profile (i.e., categorical eye, hair, and skin colour) and a complete genotype profile (i.e., all 41 HIrisPlex-S DNA markers) were jointly available (Table 1).

3.2 Phenotype correlations and genetic contributions
    A high correlation between eye, hair and skin colour is generally expected in human populations. In our dataset, all three pigmentation traits showed mid-range but highly statistically significant phenotype correlations with each other, namely Pearson correlation coefficients of 0.47 (p = 5.19 10−43) for eye versus hair colour, 0.41 (p = 1.64 10−32) for hair versus skin colour, and 0.36 (p = 9.42 10−25) for eye versus skin colour (Table 3). That we did not obtain higher phenotype correlations may be explained by sampling errors due to the medium sample size and due to phenotype categorization from underlying quantitative variables in combination with imperfect phenotype quality based on the phenotyping methods applied.
    Last edited by pmokeefe; 10-06-2021 at 04:16 PM.
    YFull: YF14620 (Dante Labs 2018)

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pmokeefe For This Useful Post:

JMcB (10-06-2021),  parasar (10-07-2021),  vettor (10-06-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Y-DNA (P)
    L21
    mtDNA (M)
    H

Not in all populations. In ireland and western Scotland the light eyes and very fair skin plus dark hair combo isnt just common, its dominant. In general its fairly common throughout much of the British Isles and ive seen it many times in other west European populations though its not nearly as common. Also of course depends on age. The vast majority of Celtic fringe children are initially (often very) blond but lose it young - like when they are 5 or 6. I know this because of runs with my own kids to nursery and school in Ireland. It also perfectly describes almost all the children in my extended family - blond infants turning light then mid-dark brown in steps between age 5 and teens.

One this is clear, red hair and blond hair have overlapping but different distributions. Red hair or carrying the relevant genes is much higher among the Celtic fringe where adult blondness is not very common than it is in the more Germanic areas where blond hair is common.

One observation I would make from personal experience is skin tone and eye colour seem to correlate. Darker eyes almost always seen to go with a slightly more olive complexion but its extremely rare to see blue eyes and olive skin together. Certainly in my part of the world. This seems much stronger than correlations between eyes and hair.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alan For This Useful Post:

Cascio (10-06-2021),  JonikW (10-06-2021),  parasar (10-07-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    NW Bulgarian
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-Y151633
    mtDNA (M)
    H4d

Bulgaria North Macedonia Greek Macedonia European Union
    In the region where my father is from(Western Teteven) and also from the Serbs I know the Black hair + Blue eyes combo is very common. In my family specifically blue eyes come with dirty blonde or chestnut brown hair. I am a chestnut brown + green/gray eyes combo I suspect I carry the red hair gene because when I was a child I had freckles and now I have some red hairs in my beard.
    Last edited by vasil; 10-06-2021 at 05:24 PM.
    Distance: 6.5138% / 0.06513835
    56.4 TUR_Pinarbasi_HG
    17.8 GEO_CHG
    13.4 RUS_AfontovaGora3
    7.6 LUX_Loschbour
    3.4 IRN_Ganj_Dareh_N
    1.4 MNG_Late_Med

11. The Following User Says Thank You to vasil For This Useful Post:

parasar (10-07-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Russo-Moksha-Mari-Ukr
    Nationality
    Russian/Murican

Quote Originally Posted by vasil View Post
    In the region where my father is from(Western Teteven) and also from the Serbs I know the Black hair + Blue eyes combo is very common. In my family specifically blue eyes come with dirty blonde or chestnut brown hair. I am a chestnut brown + green/gray eyes combo I suspect I carry the red hair gene because when I was a child I had freckles and now I have some red hairs in my beard.
    By grey-green, do you mean grey with a green ring like pic related:
    rare-eye-colors.png

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Macedonian
    Nationality
    Macedonian
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-M67

North Macedonia
    My parents and my grandparents all have blue/green eyes with Blonde/dark blonde hair, only I have black hair and dark hazel eyes, no logic for me, also two of my cousins have black hair and green eyes but their parents are blonde/brunette with blue eyes.

Target: Me
    Distance: 1.4303% / 0.01430250
    70.4 Albanian
    11.0 Slavic
    10.8 Greek
    7.8 Celtic
    Target: Me
    Distance: 2.1519% / 0.02151936
    76.0 __IllyricRoman
    21.8 __Slavic
    1.8 __Alanic
    0.4 __Levantine

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vasile For This Useful Post:

hel (12-04-2021),  parasar (10-07-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    NW Bulgarian
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-Y151633
    mtDNA (M)
    H4d

Bulgaria North Macedonia Greek Macedonia European Union
    Quote Originally Posted by al.Krivich View Post
    By grey-green, do you mean grey with a green ring like pic related:
    rare-eye-colors.png
    They were blue when I was a child which from what I read is very common. Now they are a solid colour(no ring) depending on the light they either appear dark green or gray something like the outer ring in the picture but a bit darker. From what I have read Green coloured eyes are blue eyes + lipochrome a yellow pigment and grey eyes have a coarser collagen structure.
    Last edited by vasil; 10-06-2021 at 05:59 PM.
    Distance: 6.5138% / 0.06513835
    56.4 TUR_Pinarbasi_HG
    17.8 GEO_CHG
    13.4 RUS_AfontovaGora3
    7.6 LUX_Loschbour
    3.4 IRN_Ganj_Dareh_N
    1.4 MNG_Late_Med

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast