Page 71 of 133 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121 ... LastLast

Thread: Upcoming paper on Anglo-Saxon migration period??

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA (M)
    T2B-T152C

England Scotland Austrian Empire Canada Quebec Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by codom View Post
    I don't know if this picture from the presentation has been posted before. It shows likely locations for the French_IA component.
    Attachment 50300
    Looks like a mix of continental Germanic and Southern European samples, perhaps with the Southern European being the focus. Is that why they named this component "France" IA? I can more easily understand why they are linking it to the Franks seeing this though.
    Flags represent known or paper trail ancestry from greatest to least:
    England, Scotland, Austro-Hungarian Empire, (Galicia Poland) French-Canadian, and Dutch American settlers.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sktibo For This Useful Post:

jadegreg (07-01-2022),  W‚ldpykjong (07-01-2022),  Webb (07-01-2022)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b>DF27
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c5

United States of America England Northern Ireland Scotland Normandie
    Quote Originally Posted by sktibo View Post
    Looks like a mix of continental Germanic and Southern European samples, perhaps with the Southern European being the focus. Is that why they named this component "France" IA? I can more easily understand why they are linking it to the Franks seeing this though.
    I’m trying to understand this. I don’t know much about Frankish France. Is this because of it highlighting Burgundy? A quick google search on early Burgundy: “Burgundy remained as one of the three main polities that together defined the core Frankish realm, together with Austrasia and Neustria.”
    AncestryDNA(Aug 2022): England & NW Europe 45%, Scotland 22%, Ireland 19%, Wales 9%, Sweden & Denmark 2%, Germanic Europe 2%, Cameron, Congo 1%

Living DNA:
    Great Britain and Ireland 100%
    N. Ireland and SW Scotland 26.2%, SC England 17.7%, Central England 17.3%, S Wales Border 8%, East Anglia 7.6%, NW Scotland 6%, Ireland 5.8%, NW England 5%, N Wales 3.2%, Aberdeenshire 1.8%, SE England 1.3%

G25 Iron Age
    42.4 Northern_Britannia_IA
    37.0 Gallic_LaTene_IA
    20.6 Dane_Sjaelland_Skane_IA

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garimund For This Useful Post:

sktibo (07-01-2022),  Webb (07-01-2022)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA (M)
    T2B-T152C

Quote Originally Posted by Garimund View Post
    I’m trying to understand this. I don’t know much about Frankish France. Is this because of it highlighting Burgundy? A quick google search on early Burgundy: “Burgundy remained as one of the three main polities that together defined the core Frankish realm, together with Austrasia and Neustria.”
    im confused by it. these red dots are the samples that make up component France IA but most aren't from France?
    England, Scotland, Austro-Hungarian Empire, (Galicia Poland) French-Canadian, and Dutch American settlers.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sktibo For This Useful Post:

Garimund (07-01-2022)

Registered Users
    Sex

Wales Ireland Munster England Cornwall Devon
    Quote Originally Posted by codom View Post
    I don't know if this picture from the presentation has been posted before. It shows likely locations for the French_IA component.
    Attachment 50300
    Thanks for sharing that. I find it incredibly hard to believe that such a large proportion of ancestry in modern English people came from southern France, even if these were elite nobles with a reproductive advantage. Most of the noble Norman-era families were not from that region, so something that was already hard to comprehend is now even harder. Mmm.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b>DF27
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c5

United States of America England Northern Ireland Scotland Normandie
    im confused by it. these red dots are the samples that make up component France IA but most aren't from France?
    The red dot trail looks like it heads down SW Rhine towards Pannonia, which would be more fitting. I could understand red dots in southern France via the Kingdom of Burgundy, but the yellow glowing zone is pretty confusing.
    AncestryDNA(Aug 2022): England & NW Europe 45%, Scotland 22%, Ireland 19%, Wales 9%, Sweden & Denmark 2%, Germanic Europe 2%, Cameron, Congo 1%

Living DNA:
    Great Britain and Ireland 100%
    N. Ireland and SW Scotland 26.2%, SC England 17.7%, Central England 17.3%, S Wales Border 8%, East Anglia 7.6%, NW Scotland 6%, Ireland 5.8%, NW England 5%, N Wales 3.2%, Aberdeenshire 1.8%, SE England 1.3%

G25 Iron Age
    42.4 Northern_Britannia_IA
    37.0 Gallic_LaTene_IA
    20.6 Dane_Sjaelland_Skane_IA

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Garimund For This Useful Post:

sktibo (07-01-2022)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA (M)
    T2B-T152C

Quote Originally Posted by Garimund View Post
    The red dot trail looks like it heads down SW Rhine towards Pannonia, which would be more fitting. I could understand red dots in southern France via the Kingdom of Burgundy, but the yellow glowing zone is pretty confusing.
    Yellow glow is just highlighting (way too obnoxiously) the highest concentration of those samples I'd say. I guess it's to illustrate the southern character of the France IA component or something. I'd like more information on it because it ranges from Iberia to Sardinia to the Balkans to Germany.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sktibo For This Useful Post:

Brittunculi (07-01-2022),  jadegreg (07-01-2022)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF27 FGC17112
    mtDNA (M)
    H5a1

Were the dates for the admixture put between 600-1100CE? Earliest could be Gauls moving north, up until 34 years after the Normans. It's probably several things. Definitely not really Franks though. We already know that IA Netherlands went through a huge genetic shift to be close to Scandinavians. The area highlighted in red is more like the Gaulish homeland. It'll probably more reflect La Tene migration too.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Chad Rohlfsen For This Useful Post:

jadegreg (07-01-2022)

Registered Users
    Sex

Wales Ireland Munster England Cornwall Devon
    Yellow glow is just highlighting (way too obnoxiously) the highest concentration of those samples I'd say. I guess it's to illustrate the southern character of the France IA component or something. I'd like more information on it because it ranges from Iberia to Sardinia to the Balkans to Germany.
    My cynical self is assuming they did this because they knew it would cause quite a stir (and gather attention). I can almost see the headlines in The Daily Mail about Brits and the south of France when their paper is released.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Friso-Saxon
    Nationality
    NL
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V22
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1bU106/ DF96

Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellSince1893 View Post
    I’m trying to force myself to think outside my box.

My box/bias is thinking U152 In Britain primarily arrived in Middle/Late Iron Age and Roman Era.

Putting that aside, the highest present day U152 percentage north of the Alps is in Leige Belgium at 32%

Here is Leige province

And here are the Salian Franks in 358 AD.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Foederatus.png

I’ve mentally noted this overlap before, but it didn’t fit my narrative so I didn’t pursue it further.
    Difficult to say Mitch. Their supposed departure point Salland is blanc. Just like their headquarter Doornik.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA (M)
    T2B-T152C

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellSince1893 View Post
    I’m trying to force myself to think outside my box.

My box/bias is thinking U152 In Britain primarily arrived in Middle/Late Iron Age and Roman Era.

Putting that aside, the highest present day U152 percentage north of the Alps is in Leige Belgium at 32%

Here is Leige province

And here are the Salian Franks in 358 AD.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Foederatus.png

I’ve mentally noted this overlap before, but it didn’t fit my narrative so I didn’t pursue it further.
    I admire your commitment to wanting to find out the origin or source of your Y-DNA line. In Britain, it seems that U-152 is perhaps the most open or ambiguous of all the common Y-lines?... it could be native British, it could be Roman, it could be Germanic, Norman or medieval. It's not like an L-21 or U106 where it's fairly straightforward.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to sktibo For This Useful Post:

MitchellSince1893 (07-01-2022)

Page 71 of 133 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121 ... LastLast