Thread: Bronze Age aDNA paper and L513

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Bronze Age aDNA paper and L513

Hi Guys,

Some of you may have seen Tiger's post about this on FB...and there's a separate thread here over on the Ancient DNA forum.

Apparently a paper is in publication on a massive number of Bronze Age arrivals in southern Britain. Word is there are some L513 skeletons in there. I looked at the raw data list over at the aDNA forum, and to my relatively untrained eye, I think I spotted an R-S5668 guy...

Either way, big news for L513. There are also DF49 guys, several DF21 and lots of DF13.

Perhaps this is finally some continental aDNA for L513?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b
    mtDNA (M)
    H

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Hi Guys,

Some of you may have seen Tiger's post about this on FB...and there's a separate thread here over on the Ancient DNA forum.

Apparently a paper is in publication on a massive number of Bronze Age arrivals in southern Britain. Word is there are some L513 skeletons in there. I looked at the raw data list over at the aDNA forum, and to my relatively untrained eye, I think I spotted an R-S5668 guy...

Either way, big news for L513. There are also DF49 guys, several DF21 and lots of DF13.

Perhaps this is finally some continental aDNA for L513?
    I am waiting for FTDNA’s analysis of these. I will see if I can get them published in one way or another.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TigerMW For This Useful Post:

Jon (11-09-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b
    mtDNA (M)
    H

I've been told there are two L513 people in this data set.

Right now I don't have any context as far as their location, burial artifacts, etc. Keep in mind the haplogroup assignments are best efforts only as far as the test coverage allowed given this is ancient DNA. In other words, their terminal haplogroup might be younger.

I13730 R-S5668
    I2982 R-Z16400

I'm in the general haplogroup of the second individual.

R-CTS11744/L705 is where our B2 STR cluster sits and that is just downstream of Z16400.

This ancient sample apparently broke the old R-CTS11744 SNP equivalent block. I will definitely want to know the location of this R-Z16400* individual.

I suspect he'll be in Southern England or Wales. If he is from Ireland or Scotland or France that changes my thinking. If they have a lot of good burial artifacts may be we are getting close to knowing a tribe!!!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TigerMW For This Useful Post:

Jon (11-25-2021),  Webb (11-21-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Quote Originally Posted by TigerMW View Post
    I've been told there are two L513 people in this data set.

Right now I don't have any context as far as their location, burial artifacts, etc. Keep in mind the haplogroup assignments are best efforts only as far as the test coverage allowed given this is ancient DNA. In other words, their terminal haplogroup might be younger.

I13730 R-S5668
    I2982 R-Z16400

I'm in the general haplogroup of the second individual.

R-CTS11744/L705 is where our B2 STR cluster sits and that is just downstream of Z16400.

This ancient sample apparently broke the old R-CTS11744 SNP equivalent block. I will definitely want to know the location of this R-Z16400* individual.

I suspect he'll be in Southern England or Wales. If he is from Ireland or Scotland or France that changes my thinking. If they have a lot of good burial artifacts may be we are getting close to knowing a tribe!!!
    Many thanks for this update Mike.

Were these remains found in one particular region, or all over UK/Ireland? Any idea where the additional context info (location, burial good etc) will be released?