Ethnicity
    Gujarati Brahmin
    Nationality
    India
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-L26

India
    Quote Originally Posted by Rahuls77 View Post
    The abstention from garlic and onion has its root in the belief that they are aphrodisiacs. And Jains, along with some Hindu sects strongly abhor consuming anything of that sort. This is an extreme kind of self-abnegation.
    I am not aware if they are considered aphrodisiacs. I've rather heard the term "sedative", as in something that leads to a lesser refined state of consciousness. This is in line with the third category Tāmsik within the ancient Indian dietary classification, the other two being Sāttvik ("wholesome") and Rājasik ("stimulant").
    No, a true seeker, one who truly wished to find, could accept no doctrine. But the man who has found what he sought, such a man could approve of every doctrine, each and every one, every path, every goal; nothing separated him any longer from all those thousands of others who lived in the eternal, who breathed the Divine.

- Siddhartha, Hermann Hesse

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kirtan24 For This Useful Post:

Riverman (12-06-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Brahmin Mixed S India
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1b2a1a (Y7+)
    mtDNA (M)
    M5a2a

United States of America India Myanmar
    Quote Originally Posted by passenger View Post
    Respect to those who abstain, but I wouldn't even know how to begin cooking without onion and garlic. I got through bags of the stuff every month!
    Hing (Asafoetida) is traditionally used as a substitute for onion. I feel like any S Indian dish I cook is naked without putting hing in the tarka...

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Varun R For This Useful Post:

MonkeyDLuffy (12-06-2021),  passenger (12-06-2021)

Gold Class Member
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Varun R View Post
    Hing (Asafoetida) is traditionally used as a substitute for onion. I feel like any S Indian dish I cook is naked without putting hing in the tarka...
    That's how I usually distinguish South Indian food from other cuisines, the strong smell of hing.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a

Pakistan Azad Kashmir India
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirtan24 View Post
    I am not aware if they are considered aphrodisiacs. I've rather heard the term "sedative", as in something that leads to a lesser refined state of consciousness. This is in line with the third category Tāmsik within the ancient Indian dietary classification, the other two being Sāttvik ("wholesome") and Rājasik ("stimulant").
    What else is Tamsik? The word I was looking for just that. Much of the South Asian religious philosophy seeks to demonise sexual urge and negate it, subdue it. And Garlic and Onion, besides their several other benefits, are also aphrodisiacs.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Gujarati Brahmin
    Nationality
    India
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-L26

India
    What else is Tamsik? The word I was looking for just that. Much of the South Asian religious philosophy seeks to demonise sexual urge and negate it, subdue it. And Garlic and Onion, besides their several other benefits, are also aphrodisiacs.
    Meat, fish, fertilized eggs, alcohol, opium, white flour, etc. Note that in classical Ayurveda Tāmsik foods are not "forbidden" per se, but only recommended in extreme moderation and in certain situations.

I would say that originally sexuality was not demonised, as evident in the many sculptures depicting sexuality in Indian temples. One is also reminded of one of the central concepts of Hindu philisophy, namely Purushārtha ("object of human pursuit") with its four pillars, of which Kāma ("pleasure, love") is one.

Those philosophies that do have the negation of sexual desires inherent to them, e.g. much of the Śramaṇa traditions, tend to reject everything that might cause desire and hence suffering or pain.
    Last edited by Kirtan24; 12-06-2021 at 04:28 AM.
    No, a true seeker, one who truly wished to find, could accept no doctrine. But the man who has found what he sought, such a man could approve of every doctrine, each and every one, every path, every goal; nothing separated him any longer from all those thousands of others who lived in the eternal, who breathed the Divine.

- Siddhartha, Hermann Hesse

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kirtan24 For This Useful Post:

Path2light21 (12-06-2021),  Rahuls77 (12-06-2021),  Riverman (12-06-2021),  Varun R (12-07-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a

Pakistan Azad Kashmir India
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirtan24 View Post
    Meat, fish, fertilized eggs, alcohol, opium, white flour, etc. Note that in classical Ayurveda Tāmsik foods are not "forbidden" per se, but only recommended in extreme moderation and in certain situations.

I would say that originally sexuality was not demonised, as evident in the many sculptures depicting sexuality in Indian temples. One is also reminded of one of the central concepts of Hindu philisophy, namely Purushārtha ("object of human pursuit") with its four pillars, of which Kāma ("pleasure, love") is one.

Those philosophies that do have the negation of sexual desires inherent to them, e.g. much of the Śramaṇa traditions, tend to reject everything that might cause desire and hence suffering or pain.
    My point is that there are some Hindu sects, and the Jains, who observe such extremities of abstinence. However within the Jains there are now many exceptions to these dietary taboos, as the demographics change and families turn increasingly nuclear and far-flung. The Buddhists, who were far more numerous, never had such taboos.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rahuls77 For This Useful Post:

Kirtan24 (12-06-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y7
    mtDNA (M)
    R30a1c
    Y-DNA (M)
    L-M357
    mtDNA (P)
    J1b1a1

The abstention from garlic and onion has its root in the belief that they are aphrodisiacs. And Jains, along with some Hindu sects strongly abhor consuming anything of that sort. This is an extreme kind of self-abnegation.
    One of my jain friend had told me that their family do not eat any kind of root vegetables including potatoes. The reason he told was harvest of root vegetables will result in the death of the plant. Also they do not eat vegetables and fruits with lots of seeds like pomegranates since they are potentially destroying many future lives.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BMG For This Useful Post:

parasar (12-06-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y7
    mtDNA (M)
    R30a1c
    Y-DNA (M)
    L-M357
    mtDNA (P)
    J1b1a1

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyDLuffy View Post
    That's how I usually distinguish South Indian food from other cuisines, the strong smell of hing.
    Hing is used mostly in Brahmin cuisine which I think they use as a replacement for garlic. Non brahmins use it very sparingly except may be in Sambhar. I have never seen it used in my house but I have seen my relatives using in either Sambhar or rasam.

Gold Class Member
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by BMG View Post
    Hing is used mostly in Brahmin cuisine which I think they use as a replacement for garlic. Non brahmins use it very sparingly except may be in Sambhar. I have never seen it used in my house but I have seen my relatives using in either Sambhar or rasam.
    There is a Sri lankan tamil food takeout I go to, you can smell hing throughout the restaurant.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MonkeyDLuffy For This Useful Post:

desi (12-06-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y6
    mtDNA (M)
    W

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyDLuffy View Post
    There is a Sri lankan tamil food takeout I go to, you can smell hing throughout the restaurant.
    We use hing too, don't we? I know my family uses it in many dishes though sparingly.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to desi For This Useful Post:

Rahuls77 (12-06-2021)

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast