Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reason behind high rate of Blondism among Sintashta-Andronvo and their descendants ?

Reason behind high rate of Blondism among Sintashta-Andronvo and their descendants ?

I have noticed that most of the research suggest that people of the Sintashta-Andronovo had a high rate of Blondism and even higher rate of frequency of light eyes. if i recall correctly the rate of Blondism was near 35 to 55% among Sintastha and near 90% frequency of light eyes, that is a very high frequency even by modern standards and only few countries in North Europe such as Sweden, Norway, Netherlands, Germany etc match these frequencies today, that too after positive selection process so what caused this selection among Indo-Iraninans during bronze age itself ?

even their descendants in central asia such as Tajiks(Iranic), Pashayi(Indo-Aryan) today have very high rate of Blondism and North Europid Facial structure despite have <50% original Sintashta Ancestry suggesting that the source population had these features in very high frequencies.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dynamicguy For This Useful Post:

vettor (01-18-2022),  xerxez (01-18-2022)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Anglo
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    I2-S2361 < L801
    mtDNA (M)
    H2a2b(1)
    mtDNA (P)
    H3

Canada
    I don't know much about this but IIRC when we got larger samples of Sintashta etc they turned out to be not that light coloured really. Razib Khan ran the Sintashta samples from Narasimhan et al through Hirisplex and they turn out more South European-ish. The frequency of the common blond hair and blue eye associated SNPs were considerably lower than in present day North Europeans. See https://www.brownpundits.com/2019/09...-were-swarthy/

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Megalophias For This Useful Post:

Michalis Moriopoulos (01-19-2022),  pegasus (01-25-2022),  peloponnesian (01-17-2022)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Asian American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y7 > R-Y2568
    mtDNA (M)
    R30b
    mtDNA (P)
    U9b1

United States of America Pakistan Jammu and Kashmir
    Just to add on to what's already been said, minor allele frequency in ancient populations does not necessarily translate to allele frequencies in modern central Asian populations and South Asians because alleles are also inherited from BMAC, IMAC related populations and south Asian bronze age/farmer populations, with negative selection for the depigementation allele in the later for a simple reason that populations that live close to the equator have higher chance of skin cancer and other harmful effects of sun radiation that can effect fitness.
    Its possible Steppe populations using alot of dairy products already fulfilled daily Vitamin D requirement which did not effect fitness hence it did not drive selection for depigenntation. Although I am not quite sure how accurate the allele frequency predictions are given these are ancient genomes and hence not diploid. I don't know what the general understanding on the population size for these populations since that also need to be taken into account. Not to mention there are other sites in the Andronovo horizon.
    Last edited by Kapisa; 01-17-2022 at 08:14 PM.

Sample Fit CG IVCp IRN Shahr I Sokhta BA2 I8728 Bustan BA Average Aktogai MLBA Average Upper Yellow River LN Average
    Kapisa scaled (Kapisa) 1.99 43 37 17 3
    Kapisa dad scaled (Kapisa) 2.19 40.5 39 17.5 3

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kapisa For This Useful Post:

altvred (01-18-2022),  Coldmountains (01-17-2022),  ESPLover4 (01-18-2022),  Michalis Moriopoulos (01-19-2022)

So were they dark haired people?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Asian American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y7 > R-Y2568
    mtDNA (M)
    R30b
    mtDNA (P)
    U9b1

United States of America Pakistan Jammu and Kashmir
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamicguy View Post
    So were they dark haired people?
    No, because of reasons pointed out in my post above.

Sample Fit CG IVCp IRN Shahr I Sokhta BA2 I8728 Bustan BA Average Aktogai MLBA Average Upper Yellow River LN Average
    Kapisa scaled (Kapisa) 1.99 43 37 17 3
    Kapisa dad scaled (Kapisa) 2.19 40.5 39 17.5 3

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Polish/British Isles
    Nationality
    U.S.
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y154732
    mtDNA (M)
    H1
    mtDNA (P)
    J1c2

Poland England Ireland Munster
    I have noticed that most of the research suggest that people of the Sintashta-Andronovo had a high rate of Blondism and even higher rate of frequency of light eyes. if i recall correctly the rate of Blondism was near 35 to 55% among Sintastha and near 90% frequency of light eyes, that is a very high frequency even by modern standards and only few countries in North Europe such as Sweden, Norway, Netherlands, Germany etc match these frequencies today, that too after positive selection process so what caused this selection among Indo-Iraninans during bronze age itself ?

even their descendants in central asia such as Tajiks(Iranic), Pashayi(Indo-Aryan) today have very high rate of Blondism and North Europid Facial structure despite have <50% original Sintashta Ancestry suggesting that the source population had these features in very high frequencies.
    Links to the published evidence for the Sintashta and other numbers you stated would be most appreciated!
    YFull: YF14620 (Dante Labs 2018)

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pmokeefe For This Useful Post:

ESPLover4 (01-18-2022),  JMcB (01-18-2022),  Kapisa (01-18-2022),  Mithra 𐎷𐎰𐎼 (01-18-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by pmokeefe View Post
    Links to the published evidence for the Sintashta and other numbers you stated would be most appreciated!
    Eurogenes

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Polish/British Isles
    Nationality
    U.S.
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y154732
    mtDNA (M)
    H1
    mtDNA (P)
    J1c2

Eurogenes
    Thanks but when I searched google for:
    sintashta site:eurogenes.blogspot.com
    there were 364 hits. A direct link (URL) to the page with the Eurogenes posts/comments that support your remarks would be nice!
    Many of the posters here are kind enough to provide direct links to the source publications which support their posts, which is very helpful for non-experts like myself to get up to speed.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pmokeefe For This Useful Post:

JMcB (01-18-2022),  Kapisa (01-18-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by pmokeefe View Post
    Thanks but when I searched google for:
    sintashta site:eurogenes.blogspot.com
    there were 364 hits. A direct link (URL) to the page with the Eurogenes posts/comments that support your remarks would be nice!
    Many of the posters here are kind enough to provide direct links to the source publications which support their posts, which is very helpful for non-experts like myself to get up to speed.
    http://eurogenes.blogspot.com/2018/0...netic.html?m=1

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Dynamicguy For This Useful Post:

xerxez (01-19-2022)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Polish/British Isles
    Nationality
    U.S.
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y154732
    mtDNA (M)
    H1
    mtDNA (P)
    J1c2

Thanks for the link. That post mentions three variants which are correlated with pigmentation, but there are many other factors.
    Genome-wide study of hair colour in UK Biobank explains most of the SNP heritability (2018)
    "Blonde hair is associated with over 200 genetic variants and we find a continuum from black through dark and light brown to blonde and account for 73% of the SNP heritability of blonde hair."

The HIrisPlex-S system for eye, hair and skin colour prediction from DNA: Introduction and forensic developmental validation (2018)

There are issues in predicting phenotypes even in modern forensic samples:
    The challenge of predicting human pigmentation traits in degraded bone samples with the MPS-based HIrisPlex-S system (2020)

Pigmentation phenotypes are fairly complex. Inferring the population statistics of ancient populations for such complex phenotypes based on the small number of samples and low coverage typical of ancient DNA seems rather problematic, no?
    Last edited by pmokeefe; 01-19-2022 at 07:36 PM.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pmokeefe For This Useful Post:

al.Krivich (01-20-2022),  Kapisa (01-19-2022),  peloponnesian (01-19-2022),  xerxez (01-19-2022)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast