Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: 23andMe "Relative Finder" Results

I am from Punjab, Pakistan and I received 116 relative matches. Most of them are from India/Pakistan and are under 0.2 percent. The top match is a peculiar one, it's a 0.36 percent shared with a girl of Cuban/Spanish and Colombian ancestry.

This is what the result says:

0.36 percent (3rd cousin)
    Half identical
    27 cM
    1 segment

I'm confused about the possibility of this, can someone explain how many years back this could be?

Thanks

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H24a1

Ireland Germany Cornwall Scotland Switzerland Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by sarmadmalik88 View Post
    I am from Punjab, Pakistan and I received 116 relative matches. Most of them are from India/Pakistan and are under 0.2 percent. The top match is a peculiar one, it's a 0.36 percent shared with a girl of Cuban/Spanish and Colombian ancestry.

This is what the result says:

0.36 percent (3rd cousin)
    Half identical
    27 cM
    1 segment

I'm confused about the possibility of this, can someone explain how many years back this could be?

Thanks
    It's really hard to say one way or another--DNA inheritance is a tricky thing. Typically we predict two individuals with 53 half identical cMs are 3rd cousins or 2nd cousins once removed. 27 half identical cMs would indicate a likely 3rd cousin, once removed. However, since we inherit 50% of our each parent's DNA the same 50% could technically be passed down for generations. More likely, 27 cM can survive beyond a great great grandchild. I would start investigating by asking do you have European admix? Based on her background and your background, I'd guess British genes may be a bridge. If not, what European populations (or any) do you overlap on?

The fact that it is only 1 segment also leads us to believe this is a fairly recent connection rather than, say every one of your grandparents or great grandparents being very distant relatives.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greerpalmer For This Useful Post:

JMcB (02-14-2018),  tomz (03-24-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by greerpalmer View Post
    It's really hard to say one way or another--DNA inheritance is a tricky thing. Typically we predict two individuals with 53 half identical cMs are 3rd cousins or 2nd cousins once removed. 27 half identical cMs would indicate a likely 3rd cousin, once removed. However, since we inherit 50% of our each parent's DNA the same 50% could technically be passed down for generations. More likely, 27 cM can survive beyond a great great grandchild. I would start investigating by asking do you have European admix? Based on her background and your background, I'd guess British genes may be a bridge. If not, what European populations (or any) do you overlap on?

The fact that it is only 1 segment also leads us to believe this is a fairly recent connection rather than, say every one of your grandparents or great grandparents being very distant relatives.
    Thanks for the elaborate reply. 0.36 and 27 cM is apparently unlikely to be a false match. To my best knowledge, no one in my family has married outside the country/south asia . Intriguing...

Thanks

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Bengali
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    H-L901/M2939
    mtDNA
    C4a1a

Finland Mongolia Bangladesh Japan Thailand Uzbekistan
    A big discovery I made was a Sarkar with Brahmin lineage. Coming from a Muslim background, that's more shocking than British/East Asian relatives.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    Brazil, Italy
    mtDNA
    H3g

Brazil Italy Italy Veneto Spain Portugal Switzerland
    I am actually looking for distante relatives, 3C or 4C, trying to fill in a gap in my family tree. Problem is, whenever I contact those matches, people are not interested in get in touch because they are looking for closer matches. It's being a slow process... And on 23andMe I only have 800 matches, and those matches from Genesis don't answer their emails...
    Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, Swiss, all mixed together to make a real Brazilian. Trying to find the history of my Spanish side for decades, now on DNA as a last resource. I think my grandfather's family changed names when they immigrated. Hidden Content I accept help. Anyone from Málaga over here? Hidden Content Tested on 23andMe, v.5 chip not compatible anywhere else yet.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R-U152
    mtDNA
    H2a2a1

Canada Quebec United Kingdom Ireland Finland
    I'm sure the answer to this question is "it depends", but it was still a little surprising to find. On 23andMe, you can look at relatives based on country of origin for grandparents. I went through the list looking for anyone that reported all four grandparents from the same place. Most were as expected, but I found one person who had listed all four of her grandparents as coming from Poland. It's a distant match, only 0.3% is shared. I know of no Polish ancestry but also can't rule it out either. What is the likelihood that it is from someone that immigrated to Poland maybe 200 years ago?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Breton & Maineau
    Nationality
    French
    Y-DNA
    R-L21 (DF13*)
    mtDNA
    U4c1a

France France Bretagne
    I wanted to make diagrams from the telecable csv file on the 23andMe website.
    With open office Calc.
    If you have other ideas for diagrams, do not hesitate to propose it.

To obtain the two following diagrams, you first need to sort the columns "Chromosome number", then "chromosome start point", and finally, "chromosome end point".

Diagram 1:
    It makes it possible to distinguish the segments that are rarely shared in the population (and therefore instructive, because they can be family or local) with the enormously common segments (and therefore not very instructive, because probably coming from a common background at the continental level) .
    The width of the "blocks" is proportional to the number of people, and the height is the length of the shared segment.

Select the two columns, chromosome start and end point, click on diagrams and then choose "Stock charts".

cours.png

Diagram 2:
    It allows to easily distinguish your longest matches in centimorgan and classified by segment.
    To make the diagram more readable, I inserted in the spreadsheet, two lines between each identified segment.
    Select "genetic distance". I chose Area charts for chart selection.
    segmentsantho.png
    Last edited by Tolan; 01-30-2019 at 08:19 PM.
    Y haplogroup: R1b: L21+ DF13+ (L1335- DF21- DF49- FGC11134- L513- Z251- Z253- CTS1751- CTS3386- DF41- FGC5496- L371- MC14- S1026- S1051- S16264- Z16500- Z16502- Z255-)
    For my autosomal analyses, see Hidden Content

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tolan For This Useful Post:

PoxVoldius (01-30-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Irish
    Y-DNA
    R-L21
    mtDNA
    V

Ireland Ireland Munster
    Quote Originally Posted by Tolan View Post
    I wanted to make diagrams from the telecable csv file on the 23andMe website.
    <snip>
    Diagram 1:
    It makes it possible to distinguish the segments that are rarely shared in the population (and therefore instructive, because they can be family or local) with the enormously common segments (and therefore not very instructive, because probably coming from a common background at the continental level) .
    </snip>
    I did not know this. Do you have some reference to say these common segments are likely to be false positives? I suspect I do not have the same pattern as you. I will try to reproduce your graph with my data.

Thanks, interesting idea.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Irish
    Y-DNA
    R-L21
    mtDNA
    V

Ireland Ireland Munster
    Diagram 1
    Untitled.png

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Garvan For This Useful Post:

Tolan (01-30-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Breton & Maineau
    Nationality
    French
    Y-DNA
    R-L21 (DF13*)
    mtDNA
    U4c1a

France France Bretagne
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvan View Post
    I did not know this. Do you have some reference to say these common segments are likely to be false positives? I suspect I do not have the same pattern as you. I will try to reproduce your graph with my data.

Thanks, interesting idea.
    I have a segment with 229 matches and another with 176!
    Between them, they represent almost half of my matches!
    Countries seem to be diverse, but all Europeans.
    Segment length does not exceed 13 cM
    I conclude that these are two segments that millions of Europeans must have ...
    Y haplogroup: R1b: L21+ DF13+ (L1335- DF21- DF49- FGC11134- L513- Z251- Z253- CTS1751- CTS3386- DF41- FGC5496- L371- MC14- S1026- S1051- S16264- Z16500- Z16502- Z255-)
    For my autosomal analyses, see Hidden Content

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Tolan For This Useful Post:

Illyro-Vlach (01-31-2019)

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617