Thread: 23andMe "Relative Finder" Results

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    CEU
    mtDNA
    J1c3i

United States of America
    I think that the RF map clustering tool works pretty good for us. My mom has one Irish grandparent (N Ireland); one German grandparent; one English grandparent; and one American colonial grandparent. Here are her results:

Compare those results to those of my Polish Mother-in-law:

Even my grandfather, with the English mother and American colonial father works out: all English, no Irish which is correct:

Yes, there are issues:
    -Why does my Polish mother-in-law have so many Irish matches? 3 are her son, and 2 grandkids...but what about the 8 others? I've been reading about a large influx of Eastern European immigrants to Ireland during the boom - is this evidence of that?
    -Where are all the UK matches for my mom? Seemingly none. They're there but you have to turn the clustering off.
    -And what about me...why not show my results? Well, turns out I hit the 1000 mark quite some time ago and so I've been steadily losing all my smaller matches that I'm not sharing with. It does skew the results: I used to have markedly more L mtdna's than anyone in my group, which I attributed to my father's large colonial American who were slave owners. His surname is Curry and there were many documented Curry/Currie slave-owners. But now my L's are down to almost the same as everyone else's. I wish I could have seen my results prior to losing my small matches! Here's my results, truncated:
    Last edited by Little bit; 10-03-2012 at 02:09 PM.
    My Gedmatch kits: M102536 (v3 upgrade); M054852 (v2); A449981 (Ancestry v1)
    Known: 87.5% UK/Ireland American Colonial; 12.5% PA Dutch Mennonites from Germany & Switzerland
    J1c3i mitochondrial ancestress was Swiss Mennonite from Conestoga, Lancaster PA

Administrator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Euro/Near East
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    R1a-YP4516/YP4807*
    mtDNA
    H11a2a3

Canada Franco-Manitoban European Union Ottoman Empire Russia Imperial United States Grand Union
    Quote Originally Posted by Little bit View Post
    -Why does my Polish mother-in-law have so many Irish matches? 3 are her son, and 2 grandkids...but what about the 8 others? I've been reading about a large influx of Eastern European immigrants to Ireland during the boom - is this evidence of that?
    It could simply be a case of New World demographics (certain US cities being more likely to have Polish and Irish in combination).

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Other ancestral Y lines:

E1b-M81 Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    E1b-V13 England
    I1-M253 Ireland
    I2-M423 Ukraine
    R1a-L176.1 Scotland
    R1b-L584 Syria/Turkey (Sephardi)
    R1b-L20 Ireland
    R1b-L21 (1)England; (2)Wales?>Connecticut
    R1b-L48 England
    R1b-P312 Scotland
    R1b-FGC32576 Ireland

Other ancestral mtDNA lines:

H1b2a Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    H6a1a3 Ukraine
    K1a9 Belarus (Ashkenazi)
    K1c2 Ireland
    V7a Ukraine

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Finnish
    Y-DNA
    I1a3a1*
    mtDNA
    U5b2a1a1b

Finland Sami
    I think we all need to remember that certain groups have tested at a much higher rate.

My Norwegian friends get frustrated by all of their Finnish matches because they are unaware that the Finns are tested at a much higher percentage.
    Genographic Project: N52850
    GenBank: EU784076
    Z62+ Z60+ Z59+ Z58+ P38+ P30+ P19+ M307+ M258+ M253+ M170+ Z73- Z140- P37.2- P259- P109- M72- M26- M227- M223- M21- M161- L803- L573- L338- L22- L211- L1248- L1247-

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ilmari For This Useful Post:

Whatever (01-08-2018)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ger.-Brit.-Catalan-more
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA
    R-YP619*
    mtDNA
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland
    Just to show that Relative Finder can work, just this past week I found someone who turns out to be a third cousin, once removed. She'd shown up as a public match, with a predicted relationship of 3rd to 5th cousin, with 0.84% shared in three segments. By a stroke of luck, I recognized one of her listed surnames.

Anyway, I sent her a message and we compared notes. She didn't have a lot of info, but with her father's name, his place and date of birth, and his father's name, I was able to find enough additional info at Ancestry.com to pinpoint point the relationship. She's the 3rd great granddaughter of a pair of my 2nd great grandparents -- or as I said, a 3rd cousin, once removed.

We'd never met or known anything about each other, but we'd both tested at 23andMe. So, again, RF can work. Of course, I have about a thousand RF cousins and only a handful of confirmed relationships. Still, it's always nice to uncover one! (And as it turns out in this case, she is not likely to be able to provide much new info to me, but it looks like I've been able to give a fair amount to her. Which is nice to be able to do -- even if it is really nice to get new info myself. )

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geebee For This Useful Post:

Scarlet Ibis (01-14-2013),  Whatever (01-08-2018)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ger.-Brit.-Catalan-more
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA
    R-YP619*
    mtDNA
    H1bg

That's pretty common in Pennsylvania, for example. Maybe not quite as common a combination as German and Scots-Irish, but still not at all unusual.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ger.-Brit.-Catalan-more
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA
    R-YP619*
    mtDNA
    H1bg

Wow! I hadn't used the map clustering yet, but I can see it should prove useful. In a few seconds I found a relative of my "not father's side" -- unfortunately my mother is deceased as was never tested -- who just happens to be from her hometown of Biloxi, Mississippi. Since my maternal grandfather was from Ohio but my maternal grandmother's family was in Biloxi for generations, that narrows things down quite a bit.

Now, it further happens that three of my grandmother's grandparents were immigrants, but this cousin is predicted as 5th. So generally I should be related to almost anyone on her side of the family as a 3rd cousin or closer, unless they're either on that 4th grandparent's side, or they're "Old World" matches. Point is, even before I've sent a contact request, I have a pretty good idea of which one of my sixteen 2nd great grandparents to begin with.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to geebee For This Useful Post:

Scarlet Ibis (01-14-2013)

Administrator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American & Korean
    Y-DNA
    Dad: U-152
    mtDNA
    B4a

United States Gadsden South Korea United Kingdom Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by geebee View Post
    Just to show that Relative Finder can work, just this past week I found someone who turns out to be a third cousin, once removed. She'd shown up as a public match, with a predicted relationship of 3rd to 5th cousin, with 0.84% shared in three segments. By a stroke of luck, I recognized one of her listed surnames.

Anyway, I sent her a message and we compared notes. She didn't have a lot of info, but with her father's name, his place and date of birth, and his father's name, I was able to find enough additional info at Ancestry.com to pinpoint point the relationship. She's the 3rd great granddaughter of a pair of my 2nd great grandparents -- or as I said, a 3rd cousin, once removed.

We'd never met or known anything about each other, but we'd both tested at 23andMe. So, again, RF can work. Of course, I have about a thousand RF cousins and only a handful of confirmed relationships. Still, it's always nice to uncover one! (And as it turns out in this case, she is not likely to be able to provide much new info to me, but it looks like I've been able to give a fair amount to her. Which is nice to be able to do -- even if it is really nice to get new info myself. )

I don't have anyone marked as "3rd cousin" on 23andme, but the ones I've seen on other people's accounts have always been real.

One of my ex-boyfriends took the test once, and got a 3rd cousin on there. It was real, as it was from his Italian grandparent, who had the same surname as the 3rd cousin (also from Italy).

He wasn't interested in DNA or genealogy, though, so he never really got in contact with his 3rd cousin.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Scarlet Ibis For This Useful Post:

Whatever (01-08-2018)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ger.-Brit.-Catalan-more
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA
    R-YP619*
    mtDNA
    H1bg

I actually have someone identified as a potential 2nd cousin. I thought I'd established the likely connection, but was informed that the couple I mentioned as a possibility had never had any children. However, I compared my potential cousin to another cousin on the same side of my family -- and lo and behold, the two of them had their own shared segment. So even if I identified the wrong couple as a link, it is nevertheless somewhere among their near relatives.

(The level of sharing between me and the potential 2nd cousin is 2.07%, in 9 segments. That has got to be real, even if the person does not turn out to be exactly a 2nd cousin.)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to geebee For This Useful Post:

Whatever (01-08-2018)

Administrator
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    G1a1b1 (GG167/GG200)
    mtDNA
    HV4a2a

Likely at least part Assyrian.

Match with my maternal grandmother.
    3rd to 5th Cousin
    0.33% shared, 3 segments
    mtDNA: U5a1
    Y-DNA: T

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian/Iraqi Bedouin
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    T
    mtDNA
    J1b

Jordan Jabal Shammar Yemen Adygea Iraq
    I am related to ZephMandru lol.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alanson For This Useful Post:

FaerieQueene (06-25-2014),  ZephyrousMandaru (02-16-2013)

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast