HV4a2a

Quote Originally Posted by Humanist View Post
    Likely at least part Assyrian.

Match with my maternal grandmother.
    3rd to 5th Cousin
    0.33% shared, 3 segments
    mtDNA: U5a1
    Y-DNA: T
    I believe this individual may be Chaldean Catholic.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Humanist For This Useful Post:

NK19191 (03-13-2013),  ZephyrousMandaru (02-16-2013)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Ethnicity
    Turkish
    Y-DNA
    J2a4h2f* (J-L192)
    mtDNA
    H, U3b

Turkey Ottoman Empire Ottoman Empire 2
    I got a new cousin but hidden profile:

3rd to 5th Cousin
    0.34% shared, 2 segments

mtDNA: T2a
    y-dna: G2a3a1

I wonder where the person is from at least judging by haplogroups?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hanna For This Useful Post:

Humanist (02-16-2013),  ZephyrousMandaru (02-16-2013)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    G1a1b1 (GG167/GG200)
    mtDNA
    HV4a2a

Two new matches! They are related to both sides of my family. So, at least part Assyrian ancestry is near certain. The second of the two, given the Y-DNA, suggests to me a possible mixed Assyrian-European union. Hopefully they will reply to my attempts at contact.

Female
    3rd to 6th Cousin
    0.24% shared, 2 segments
    J1b3

Male
    3rd to 6th Cousin
    0.27% shared, 2 segments
    T1 R1b1b2a1a2f*

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Humanist For This Useful Post:

NK19191 (03-13-2013)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    J-CTS1460
    mtDNA
    U1a1c4

Humanist, I wanted to inform you that I have a Mexican woman that matched with me on my Relative Finder. If it helps, she does have some Sephardic Jewish ancestry. I share about 0.08% with her, on one segment. There is also an Algerian man who appeared on my Relative Finder, who I share 0.07% on one segment.
    Last edited by ZephyrousMandaru; 02-16-2013 at 12:54 AM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZephyrousMandaru For This Useful Post:

FaerieQueene (06-25-2014),  Humanist (02-16-2013),  NK19191 (03-13-2013)

Indefinite Hiatus
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    R2a*-M124 (L295-)
    mtDNA
    D4j5*

England
    I've had several new matches in the past few months;

Code:
    Female
    3rd to Distant Cousin
    0.15% shared, 1 segment
    mtDNA U4a2b

Male
    3rd to Distant Cousin
    0.14% shared, 1 segment
    mtDNA HV2 
    Y-DNA R1a1a

Male
    3rd to Distant Cousin
    0.13% shared, 1 segment
    mtDNA T2g 
    Y-DNA J2a1e

Male
    3rd to Distant Cousin
    0.12% shared, 1 segment
    Azerbaijani (judging by the surname from the Republic)
    mtDNA R30a
    Y-DNA R1b1b2a

Male
    3rd to Distant Cousin
    0.11% shared, 1 segment
    mtDNA I
    Y-DNA R1a1a

2 Males
    3rd to Distant Cousins (both)
    0.11% shared, 1 segment (both)
    mtDNA's V7 and H1
    Y-DNA E1b1b1a2* (both)

Female
    4th to Distant Cousin
    0.10% shared, 1 segment
    Iran
    mtDNA J1b1a

Male
    4th to Distant Cousin
    0.10% shared, 1 segment
    Eastern Europe
    mtDNA H1
    Y-DNA E1b1b1a2*

Female
    4th to Distant Cousin
    0.10% shared, 1 segment
    Russian
    mtDNA U4a1a

Male
    4th to Distant Cousin
    0.09% shared, 1 segment
    Iraqi? (Iranian maternally confirmed)
    mtDNA L1c1'2'4'6
    Y-DNA G1*

Male (I believe he goes by the username Anghrals elsewhere?)
    4th to Distant Cousin
    0.09% shared, 1 segment
    Feyli Kurd (SW Iran)
    mtDNA T1
    Y-DNA J1
    Below, the mtDNA and Y-DNA results in alphabetical order.

Of the Y-DNA's, people with R seem to make up the largest chunk (9/20, 45%). Those bearing R2a-M124 specifically are of unknown backgrounds unfortunately as they're of the most interest with regard to my paternal origins. There's also a surprising number of E1b1b1a's (4/20, 20%).

On the maternal side of things, the majority of my results are H, U or T (25/38, ~65%). Interestingly, I am yet to have an mtDNA U3 match, despite this being more common in the Middle-East than the others if I recall correctly.

Code:
    C4	E1b1b1a
    F1a	E1b1b1a2*
    H	E1b1b1a2*
    H	E1b1b1a2*
    H1	E1b1b1a2*
    H1	G1
    H10	G2a
    H2a2a	J1
    H4	J1
    H5a	J1
    H5a	J2a1e
    H6a1	R1a1a
    HV	R1a1a
    HV1b2	R1b1b2a
    HV2	R1b1b2a
    I	R1b1b2a1a
    I1a1	R2
    J1b1a	R2
    L1c1'2'4'6	R2
    M54a	R2
    N1a'c'd'e'l	
    R30a	
    R31a1	
    T1	
    T2b	
    T2e	
    T2g	
    T2g	
    T2g	
    U1a1	
    U1a3	
    U2e1	
    U4a1a	
    U4a2b	
    U5b2a	
    V7	
    X1a1	
    X1a1

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DMXX For This Useful Post:

Humanist (02-18-2013),  NK19191 (03-13-2013)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    L3e4

Cape Verde Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Ibis View Post
    I've been checking out the map feature, and I feel torn about its usefulness. On one hand, the US locations seem to be pretty decent at indicating regional ancestry. On the other hand, though, the Europe and Asia features are useless. For example, I have a huge chunk of Iberian results all from 1 single relative, who has a ton of family locations listed in his profile.
    ^^ I have the same thing with one Portuguese relative who listed like 14 separate locations within a very restricted subregion of Portugal even . I mean it's nice of him to provide that much detail about his ancestry but it can be misleading when used in the map feature. I wish there was some optional feature by which you could influence the counter and set it at 1 family location per country per unique relative or something without impacting the locations shown in the map.

Quote Originally Posted by AJL View Post
    This is a good point and it even has me thinking that regional ancestry in the US can be a good indicator of Old World ancestry, if you look at settlement patterns, because there are so many more Americans testing.
    Yes, i think so too. Most of my US relatives have locations in the North East, specifically New England and NY state. Which corresponds very well with known migration patterns of Cape Verdean Americans, who tend to concentrate around Boston and surroundings. I suspect my shared ancestry with Dutch American relatives might date both from recent Dutch migration, concentrating mostly in the Mid West, and perhaps also some from the very first colonial settlers in former New Nederland, NY State. Actually both New York and Albany are listed as locations, but by relatives who are actually Latino

In Europe not surprisingly Netherlands shows up with the most locations. The number for Portugal is inflated although I do have several other Portuguese RF cousins but they didn't list their family locations sofar.

In Africa, Cape Verde is mentioned only twice, but in fact among my top 25 of closest related RF cousins i suspect more of them are through my Cape Verde side than via my Dutch side. Kind of unexpected, too bad most of them are not sharing with me I also have two Afrikaaner cousins in South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by ilmari View Post
    I think we all need to remember that certain groups have tested at a much higher rate.
    True, obviously this goes to explain the many US relatives most 23&me customers irrespective of background will find. Although i do actually have some genuine (first) cousins living in the US.

I'm wondering if the frequency of my Latino (mostly Carribean & Mexican) RF cousins and just 1 Brazilian relative can also be explained by sampling bias, or if maybe there's some underlying migration pattern which caused it. I've seen the same frequencies among my Cape Verdean relatives who usually have Mexico or some other Hispanic American country in their top 5 with AF, but rarely Brazil. It might hint at high circulation and mobility of Iberian settlers/traders (incl. those of Sephardic, Canarian and Morisco background) in the early Atlantic world especially when the Portuguese and Spanish empires were formally united under Habsburg rule (1580-1640). Despite close early colonial links with especially North-East Brazil, it seems that during its shortlived days of regional trading hub (1500's mostly) Cape Verde had more extensive connections with the Spanish Carribean.

Several cousins in Australia and also New Zealand (not shown in the map) through recent Dutch migration over there. But also very surprisingly a Fillipino cousin! I actually have a Macau cousin as well but he's not sharing with me. I figure if it's really an IBD match for both we would have some shared Iberian ancestry. I checked the AF results for the Fillipino cousin and she has 1 Mexican cousin listed plus she's also not 100% Asian in AC.

Last edited by Don Felipe; 02-17-2013 at 02:35 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Don Felipe For This Useful Post:

Humanist (02-18-2013)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    L3e4

Cape Verde Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Oditous View Post
    I wish there was some optional feature by which you could influence the counter and set it at 1 family location per country per unique relative or something without impacting the locations shown in the map.
    ^Just noticed this list of top locations...

New Bedford, MA, USA (3)
    The Netherlands (3)
    Cape Verde (2)
    Tennessee, USA (2)
    Ireland (2)
    England, UK (2)
    Cuba (2)
    Michigan, USA (2)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ger.-Brit.-Catalan-more
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA
    R-YP619*
    mtDNA
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by geebee View Post
    I actually have someone identified as a potential 2nd cousin. I thought I'd established the likely connection, but was informed that the couple I mentioned as a possibility had never had any children. However, I compared my potential cousin to another cousin on the same side of my family -- and lo and behold, the two of them had their own shared segment. So even if I identified the wrong couple as a link, it is nevertheless somewhere among their near relatives.

(The level of sharing between me and the potential 2nd cousin is 2.07%, in 9 segments. That has got to be real, even if the person does not turn out to be exactly a 2nd cousin.)
    It seems strange to quote myself, but I wanted to post a follow up.

My cousin's father has now gotten his test results in, and he shares enough DNA with me that Relative Finder doesn't even both with a range -- it just says "2nd cousin". Sharing is 2.84%, 11 segments. Actually, with my sister it's even more: 3.22% in 9 segments. That's two fewer segments that I share with him, but one of the segments shared between my sister and our purported 2nd cousin spans more than half the length of one chromosome. In fact, coupled with another smaller segment on that chromosome, they probably have half identical sharing of nearly 3/4 of the chromosome. The total amount reported in Family Inheritance is 0.21 Gb, or about 210 Mb. (Sharing with me is 0.17 Gb.)

My brother's sharing is a bit less -- 2.18% in 10 segments. That's actually only a hair more than I share with the daughter, 2.07% in 11 segments. Funny how recombination works.

We still can't find a direct connection. I know (or, I should say I think I know) all of my ancestors up through the 2nd great grandparent level, and most of the 3rd great grandparents. Yet, if the cousin's father -- who is obviously also my cousin -- is a 2nd cousin to me, then we should have great grandparents in common. And, in fact, my grandfather's sister was married to brother of the older cousin's grandfather.

In other words, as far as either of us knows, we should only have mutual cousins, but not be cousins ourselves. Yet, we clearly are. Either the relationship is more distant than it looks ... or something is not the way it was always claimed to be.
    Besides British-German-Catalan, ancestry includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw & possibly Catawba. Avatar picture is: my father, his father, & his father's father; baby is my eldest brother.

GB

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    G1a1b1 (GG167/GG200)
    mtDNA
    HV4a2a

New match. One of several in the last week or two.

N European/Assyrian

N European mtDNA : X2b

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    J-CTS1460
    mtDNA
    U1a1c4

Quote Originally Posted by Humanist View Post
    New match. One of several in the last week or two.

N European/Assyrian

N European mtDNA : X2b
    Hey, just thought you should know, she sent me a Sharing Invitation. Her mother is of Northwestern European descent, Scottish to be precise.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ZephyrousMandaru For This Useful Post:

Humanist (02-22-2013)

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast