Page 70 of 143 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280120 ... LastLast
Results 691 to 700 of 1426

Thread: Slavic Chronology

  1. #691
    Registered Users
    Posts
    401
    Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    The best archaeology on Chernyakhov is by Mahomedov.
    Huge study. Case closed.
    The "ukrainian" populations your quotes refer to are those of the steppes. They are not the populations from which modern Ukrainians stem. You cant DNA cremation practisers. And why shouldnt Chernyakhovites resemble Europeans? That doesnt make them Slavs. Just because some Polish scientists are desperately trying to find in loco continuity for their people while historical documentation denies it is no reason to go along with them. Genetically possible, but genes are not culture or language. People assimilated into Slavdom are not originators but recipients.
    So I’m a bit unfamiliar with the archeological studies here… what makes mahomedov the best study in this regard?

    If I’m following Ambron’s argument correctly (?), there appears to be some researchers with data (?) that indicates population preceding Chernyakhov culture in Ukraine exhibit elevated levels of Steppe ancestry. This steppe ancestry appears to be missing from Slavs, so contribution from pre-chernyakhov culture populations of Ukraine to the Slavic expansions must be minimal(?).

    On the other hand, as you point out, Slavs practiced cremation. So the samples with higher levels of steppe ancestry might be indicative of “non-locals”, while the “locals” are hard to see because of said cremations?

    Does this sun up argument well? Trying to follow on my end!

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brent.B For This Useful Post:

     ambron (06-16-2022),  JoeyP37 (06-16-2022)

  3. #692
    Registered Users
    Posts
    724
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Balkan Slav
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-FT407280
    mtDNA (M)
    H4d

    @George What culture are you proposing for the Proto-Slavs? Please dont say Kiev.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to vasil For This Useful Post:

     ambron (06-16-2022)

  5. #693
    Registered Users
    Posts
    785
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    I2a1b2a1b (A6105)
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a1b3

    Canada Ukraine
    Quote Originally Posted by vasil View Post
    @George What culture are you proposing for the Proto-Slavs? Please dont say Kiev.
    What is your view of the transition timeline from Proto-Slav to Slav? Mine is involved with the emergence of the word "Bog" instead of "Dievas"" "Dievs" or something close to this for the Deity.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to George For This Useful Post:

     mha (06-17-2022)

  7. #694
    Registered Users
    Posts
    724
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Balkan Slav
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-FT407280
    mtDNA (M)
    H4d

    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    What is your view of the transition timeline from Proto-Slav to Slav? Mine is involved with the emergence of the word "Bog" instead of "Dievas"" "Dievs" or something close to this for the Deity.
    So you are proposing an eastern origin because of couple of Iranian related words? We have talked about this before and West Slavs are Slavs as well and whatever theory we come up with needs to take them into acount as well West Slavic Y-DNA being what it is any origin too the east would require women to Slavize West Slavic lands.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to vasil For This Useful Post:

     leonardo (06-16-2022)

  9. #695
    Registered Users
    Posts
    910

    George, if we question the usefulness of genetics as a tool for verifying archaeological concepts, why are we talking in the genetic forum? Let's move the discussion to the archaeological forum.

  10. #696
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    1,272
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y20359
    mtDNA (M)
    H1c9a1

    What is considered the time frame for the transition from Proto-Slavic to Slavic? The 4th - 6th or 7th century? One of my biggest challenges is understanding how the Slavs, as numerous as they were in the 6th century, just appeared. I do say 6th because we know of Samo and Dervan, and of all the raids into the Byzantine Empire. Coming out of the Priypat marshes, all of them - CTS1211, M458, Y3120, and possibly others? I think not. Many of the IA/ late antiquity cultures in central and eastern Europe were multi ethnic. In fact most were. Certainly borders for these cultures were fluid and there was interaction among them in many instances. Kiev may have been one, but not the only.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to leonardo For This Useful Post:

     ambron (06-16-2022)

  12. #697
    Registered Users
    Posts
    950

    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    What is your view of the transition timeline from Proto-Slav to Slav? Mine is involved with the emergence of the word "Bog" instead of "Dievas"" "Dievs" or something close to this for the Deity.
    So you are actually thinking that the Iranian influence on proto-Slavs is what made the transition to Slavs?

  13. #698
    Registered Users
    Posts
    910

    The source of Iranian borrowings to the Proto-Slavic language were most likely the Central European Scythians, living, among others, in Hungary and Poland (Chotyniec). This is all the more likely as the genetics of many of these Scythians were Slavic. For example:

    DA197 R1a-Z280>CTS1211>YP343>YP340 (xYP371,P278.2)
    Target: Scythian_HUNA197
    Distance: 1.3804% / 0.01380425
    38.8 HUN_Baden_LCA
    33.2 Baltic_EST_BA
    25.6 Corded_Ware_DEU
    2.0 POL_Globular_Amphora
    0.4 SWE_Motala_HG

    Distance to: Scythian_HUNA197
    0.03088295 Slovenian
    0.03146443 Croatian
    0.03146927 Austrian
    0.03281915 Hungarian
    0.03707968 Bosnian
    0.03772270 German_East
    0.03780998 Czech
    0.03819415 German
    0.04016662 Slovakian
    0.04123845 Montenegrin

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to ambron For This Useful Post:

     leonardo (06-16-2022)

  15. #699
    Registered Users
    Posts
    785
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    I2a1b2a1b (A6105)
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a1b3

    Canada Ukraine
    Quote Originally Posted by vasil View Post
    So you are proposing an eastern origin because of couple of Iranian related words? We have talked about this before and West Slavs are Slavs as well and whatever theory we come up with needs to take them into acount as well West Slavic Y-DNA being what it is any origin too the east would require women to Slavize West Slavic lands.
    Your question answered my question.
    West Slavs have the word, and it's not just any word. It tells you a lot, like the Russian "dienga" for money
    Did Hungarian women hungarize Hungary? (:=) Dont tell me (:=)))

  16. #700
    Registered Users
    Posts
    950

    Quote Originally Posted by ambron View Post
    The source of Iranian borrowings to the Proto-Slavic language were most likely the Central European Scythians, living, among others, in Hungary and Poland (Chotyniec). This is all the more likely as the genetics of many of these Scythians were Slavic. For example:

    DA197 R1a-Z280>CTS1211>YP343>YP340 (xYP371,P278.2)
    Target: Scythian_HUNA197
    Distance: 1.3804% / 0.01380425
    38.8 HUN_Baden_LCA
    33.2 Baltic_EST_BA
    25.6 Corded_Ware_DEU
    2.0 POL_Globular_Amphora
    0.4 SWE_Motala_HG

    Distance to: Scythian_HUNA197
    0.03088295 Slovenian
    0.03146443 Croatian
    0.03146927 Austrian
    0.03281915 Hungarian
    0.03707968 Bosnian
    0.03772270 German_East
    0.03780998 Czech
    0.03819415 German
    0.04016662 Slovakian
    0.04123845 Montenegrin
    What are the chances these Hungarian Scythians mediated the marker I-Y3120 to Slavs?
    It seems to me these Central European Scythians were largely Scythianized Celts and Lusatians?

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aspar For This Useful Post:

     leonardo (06-16-2022),  parastais (06-16-2022)

Page 70 of 143 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280120 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-20-2020, 08:12 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-06-2019, 10:00 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-05-2017, 01:42 PM
  4. Poll: Pan-Slavic or individual Slavic language sections?
    By Administrator in forum Forum Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-25-2015, 04:07 PM
  5. Chronology of European mtDNA
    By Fire Haired in forum Other
    Replies: 94
    Last Post: 10-16-2013, 03:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •