Thread: Need help with E-Devlet

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Need help with E-Devlet

Hey!

So, I am sure you've all used e-devlet at some point to get an inside into your family tree.
    From what I have seen from friends of mine is that it tends to go back into the 19th century quite nicely. The oldest person in my friends family tree was born in 1830.
    Now, I was hoping to get at least a few generations back, but unfortunately it ended at my great-great-grandparents who were born around 1900. It did list their parents first names but not where or when they were born. I've asked other family members to look at their trees but it is the same for all of us.
    So, what could the reason be for this lack of information? Does anyone else have a similar problem? I would love to go back further in my family tree but have no idea where to find this information I do not live in Turkey either and my Turkish isn't the best.
    Any tips or experiences? I'd appreciate it.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Sephardi
    Nationality
    Turkish
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-M84
    mtDNA (M)
    H14b

Quote Originally Posted by Suri View Post
    Hey!

So, I am sure you've all used e-devlet at some point to get an inside into your family tree.
    From what I have seen from friends of mine is that it tends to go back into the 19th century quite nicely. The oldest person in my friends family tree was born in 1830.
    Now, I was hoping to get at least a few generations back, but unfortunately it ended at my great-great-grandparents who were born around 1900. It did list their parents first names but not where or when they were born. I've asked other family members to look at their trees but it is the same for all of us.
    So, what could the reason be for this lack of information? Does anyone else have a similar problem? I would love to go back further in my family tree but have no idea where to find this information I do not live in Turkey either and my Turkish isn't the best.
    Any tips or experiences? I'd appreciate it.
    I think you are expecting more from the e-devlet tree than what it can give to you. Not every region was recorded with the same detail. The official recordings started 1890s some say 1905/6. So the reason older people appear in this state records is that they were alive when the records started at that date. If your family migrated from outside present Anatolia or if the records were burnt or flooded, you simply have no records. Moreover these records do not say where the people were born but only when they were born, married and died. Everyone in the same list belong to that ancestral location, some due to paternal links, some due to marriage (married women from their father's record to their husband's). I hope I am clear.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to eolien For This Useful Post:

Anabasis (08-08-2022)