Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U106-Z8-S1774
    mtDNA (M)
    T1a1p
    Y-DNA (M)
    R-U152

England Scotland Germany Netherlands

New Parental Phasing

Ancestry has started a new Beta feature.

Dividing your match list into Parent 1 and Parent 2. And six other associated groupings. You do not need a tested Parent. SideView applied to your Match List.

You can assign Maternal or Paternal to Parent 1 or 2. Click on the "By Parent Beta" to do this. For me, Parent 1 is Maternal. Which is interesting, because from the SideView, I could not tell (My parents had roughly similar ancestries).

My Maternal and Paternal came out almost exactly equal. About 25,800 each.

About 10% of my 55,000 matches are Unassigned. A lot of these have Common Ancestor hints and they may get phased at a later date. One is a 2nd 1r with over 100 cM so I find it hard to believe that they could not see him as Paternal.

As far as I can tell the phasing seems pretty accurate. I have seen a few matches that are weird but at times my maternal and paternal sides co-existed in the same geographical areas, so I get some matches that seem to straddle both sides of my ancestry. I have seen one match (who triangulates paternal via DNAPainter but phases maternal) that I strongly disagree with, but overall very accurate.

This phasing goes down to 8 cM. It is not applied to any archived matches from 6 to 8.

there is a feedback form and I gave Ancestry high marks. I would like to see the phasing as a separate button, as it is currently clobbering the Groups button.

~~~

I still want a chromosome browser
    Last edited by MAbrams; 10-05-2022 at 05:22 PM.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MAbrams For This Useful Post:

Iceni (10-07-2022),  jadegreg (10-07-2022),  laulei (10-05-2022),  lg16 (10-06-2022),  Mr.G (10-06-2022),  Rufus191 (10-08-2022),  timberwolf (10-05-2022),  Tolan (10-07-2022),  Wing Genealogist (10-05-2022)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    NorthEuro
    Nationality
    US
    mtDNA (M)
    J2b1a1(a)

Quote Originally Posted by MAbrams View Post

Dividing your match list into Parent 1 and Parent 2. And six other associated groupings. SideView applied to your Match List.

You can assign Maternal or Paternal to Parent 1 or 2. Click on the "Beta" to do this. For me, Parent 1 is Maternal. Which is interesting, because from the SideView, I could not tell (My parents had roughly similar ancestries).

About 10% of my 55,000 matches are Unassigned. A lot of these have Common Ancestor hints and they may get phased at a later date. One is a 2nd 1r with over 100 cM so I find it hard to believe that they could not see him as Paternal.

As far as I can tell the phasing seems pretty accurate. I have seen a few matches that are weird but at times my maternal and paternal sides co-existed in the same geographical areas, so I get some matches that seem to straddle both sides of my ancestry. I have seen one match (who triangulates paternal but phases maternal) that I strongly disagree with, but overall very accurate.

This phasing goes down to 8 cM. It is not applied to any archived matches from 6 to 8.
    Supposedly it WON'T be released until Tomorrow ( Thursday) but I got what seems to be parts of it 2 days ago.. I should explain that this is my up-to-now unknown Biological grandfather He was from Wales and the rest of the family was not..
    They gave me 6 new ancestors on my father's paternal line which extended it and several new matches on those 6.. actually a lot of new matches maybe 18 per ancestor . I believe they did this as my father's father is my only Welsh for me ( except for a few in early US(Delaware Welsh Tract.
    So I have 33% Welsh and my Sister has 40% The extra Delaware lines added maybe 10% to Dad..

I'm interested to know who else got it early?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KatieC For This Useful Post:

lg16 (10-06-2022),  MAbrams (10-05-2022)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ger.-Brit.-Catalan-more
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-YP619*
    mtDNA (M)
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by MAbrams View Post

Dividing your match list into Parent 1 and Parent 2. And six other associated groupings. You do not need a tested Parent. SideView applied to your Match List.

You can assign Maternal or Paternal to Parent 1 or 2. Click on the "By Parent Beta" to do this. For me, Parent 1 is Maternal. Which is interesting, because from the SideView, I could not tell (My parents had roughly similar ancestries).

As far as I can tell the phasing seems pretty accurate. I have seen a few matches that are weird but at times my maternal and paternal sides co-existed in the same geographical areas, so I get some matches that seem to straddle both sides of my ancestry. I have seen one match (who triangulates paternal via DNAPainter but phases maternal) that I strongly disagree with, but overall very accurate.

there is a feedback form and I gave Ancestry high marks. I would like to see the phasing as a separate button, as it is currently clobbering the Groups button.

~~~

I still want a chromosome browser
    Me, too!!!

What I've seen so far is that the matches marked as maternal seem to be just that, and the matches marked as paternal also seem to be that. But of the matches marked as "unassigned", in fact I can assign most of these. In part that's because my parents don't seem to have any ancestral overlap in the last 300+ years.

They do have some shared ancestries -- particularly British and German (including Swiss) -- but they're from completely different parts of the country: my father from Pennsylvania, with colonial-era German and British ancestry; and my mother from Biloxi, Mississippi, with British, Menorcan, Alsatian, French, Irish, Swiss, and Indigenous American ancestry.

On the other hand, my mother's hometown is the location of a major U.S. Air Force training facility (it's how my parents met), so any of my father's relatives in PA who also went into the Air Force would have had a possibility of encountering relatives of my mother.
    Besides British-German-Catalan, ancestry includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw & another NA tribe, possibly Catawba. Avatar picture is: my father, his father, & his father's father; baby is my eldest brother.

GB

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geebee For This Useful Post:

lg16 (10-06-2022),  timberwolf (10-06-2022)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Bulgarian, Eastern Slavic
    Nationality
    Bulgarian
    mtDNA (M)
    U

Bulgaria
    This one will be very cool and long-waited feature. I got it during midnight for a while; now it says error.
    My matches are mostly unassigned for now ( more than 1700)
    Parent one had 60 matches; Parent 2 - 147 matches. What is interesting is that they gave mutual communities which I don’t have yet; I’m posting a screenshot here of one example for Southwest Italy. Does anybody know if that community is new or it has been there? If it hasn’t ; then maybe new communities will be added?67C478E0-0DA3-4135-908B-BF4883C2C243.jpeg

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Arab
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2a-J-L210-J-y15222
    mtDNA (M)
    L1b2a

This feature doesn’t work for me, every time I try to check parents matches it just says something went wrong
    With high coverage Guanche sample 011
    SUCCESS p=.985
    55 Guanche.SG_11
    32 Canaanite_MLBA
    13 COG_MatangaiTuru_IA

SUCCESS p=.978
    50 Guanche.SG_11
    40 BedouinB.DG
    11 COG_MatangaiTuru_IA

G25 results

Target: Me
    Distance: 1.4691% / 0.01469064 | R5P
    52.8 Berber_MAR_TIZ
    21.2 Yemenite_Mahra
    17.8 Greek_Cyclades_Amorgos
    5.4 Yoruba
    2.8 Bulala

R11109 MALE 1 CE 1749.5 400 CE ARCHAEOLOGY Isola_Sacra Y-DNA: J-Y15222 mtDNA: X2m'n

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    Great Britain
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-Y45878
    mtDNA (M)
    H67

United Kingdom Scotland England Ireland
    My Mendenhall matches from Wiltshire

Parent 1-Thomas 1630 & Benjamin 1662,Mary 1670,Thomas 1630 & Mary 1670.
    Parent 2-Marjorie 1655,Mary 1660,Benjamin 1662, Thomas 1630 & Benjamin 1662.

Early days. Hopefully it will get better.
    Please support Mental health research and world community grid

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Registered Users
    Sex

I tried it this morning. When I click on the button it gives an error.

But when I look at matches it labels most and of those that indicate side, all I checked are
    correct, at least, they do match that side. A couple actually do match both sides.

I can assign many "unassigned" ones.

It found a very few ones that appear to in fact be both sides, which I have never noticed before

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dtvmcdonald For This Useful Post:

C J Wyatt III (10-06-2022)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-FT248579
    mtDNA (M)
    H5

United States of America Canada
    I am skeptical about what AncestryDNA is trying to do. With current testing we can't tell which side an allele comes from. I doubt if the assumptions used in computation hold up.
    Last edited by C J Wyatt III; 10-06-2022 at 05:48 PM. Reason: spelling
    Jack Wyatt

Hidden Content

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to C J Wyatt III For This Useful Post:

msmarjoribanks (10-20-2022),  Rufus191 (10-08-2022)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    BaltSlavCeltScandiGerm
    Nationality
    American
    aDNA Match (1st)
    CZE_IA_La_Tene:I16272
    aDNA Match (2nd)
    HUN_IA_La_Tene:I20752
    aDNA Match (3rd)
    Denmark_Zealand_Sct_Clements_Copenhagen:KPN012
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a>Z280>L365>FT2484
    mtDNA (M)
    H1c3b1*
    Y-DNA (M)
    I2a-CTS5966
    mtDNA (P)
    H2a3

France Germany Poland Pomerania Russia Imperial Denmark Sweden
    Dad - 3203 matches, common communities are NW Poland, Central and Northern Germany, Coastal NW Germany, and Wisconsin Settlers. Sounds about right, upper Midwest US cocktail of Polish, German and Scandinavian.

Mom - 785 matches, common communities are Russians in Eastern and Central Europe, Central and Southern Finland, and Ukrainians in Eastern Europe. All Russian/Finn matches (grandpa), I have 0 French matches so this misses at least 25% of my papertrail.
    Known Ancestry: NW Russian 25%, Central French 25%, North German 25%, Scandinavian 12.5%, mixed Polish/German (Pomerania) 12.5%

yDNA: 2x great grandfather, born 1854, Danzig (Prussia/Poland/Pomerania)
    mtDNA: 3x great grandmother, born 1863, Bagneux, Indre, Centre Val-de Loire, France

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M222

Northern Ireland Ireland Scotland
    Itís interesting! I wish that there was a way to filter out American matches though as I think that, that can skew the surnames.

Itís interesting though to see the difference in surnames on both sides, some of those surnames are in my ancestry, some not.

A good attempt!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Nqp15hhu For This Useful Post:

jadegreg (10-07-2022)

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast