Welsh
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L21 DF13 (father)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c9

Wales England
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathlingram View Post
    Riverman and msmarjoribanks

I am glad I stopped in here..went and looked and WOW! "Common communities Wales These are the most common communities of your closest paternal matches."
    " Delaware Valley, Chesapeake & Midwest Settlers "
    So YES I think they are very close.. for ME.. Why? Well let me just say that my first "Family History" is at a printer BECAUSE My Welsh was almost non existant probably prior to 2015-16? And I tested all my people I could grab since 2005-6
    We knew Dad's early US ancestors were Welsh.. They essentially came with William Penn to the Delaware Valley and Chesapeake Welsh tracts ...
    So why didn't early tests show it? When did the Welsh DNA I have appear?

Almost all of my Welsh relatives are still in Wales.. A few are in the slate mine communities in Delaware and Maryland.. and a few more still in early Delaware ...
    That Wales ethnicity on Ancestry is quite recent. Welsh testers used to be shown as 50% English and 50% Irish so I guess it would have been difficult for a part Welsh tester to distinguish your Welsh ethnicity from English and Irish at that time.

Most Welsh results that I have seen have (or had?) Delaware Valley, Chesapeake, & Midwest Settlers as a common community. It looks as if this includes a few waves of emigration from various parts of Wales as well as other European countries.

There should be published information on emigration from Llŷn. Lots of people left the land in the 1800s, many going to Caernarfonshire granite quarries as well as slate quarries. Many of these families moved on to north America.It might be possible to search the list of matches for people born in the quarrying villages in Vermont, New York state etc.
    All 32 3xgreat grandparents were Welsh. Two 6xgreat grandparents from England and a few Irish or English surnames before 1800. Paper trail shows several C11th to C14th Anglo-Norman lines and C11th Norse-Irish lines.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phoebe Watts For This Useful Post:

Kathlingram (12-03-2022),  msmarjoribanks (12-19-2022)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ireland UK Sweden Germany
    Nationality
    US
    mtDNA (M)
    J2b1a1(a)

Northern Ireland Ireland Wales Sweden Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoebe Watts View Post
    That Wales ethnicity on Ancestry is quite recent. Welsh testers used to be shown as 50% English and 50% Irish so I guess it would have been difficult for a part Welsh tester to distinguish your Welsh ethnicity from English and Irish at that time.

Most Welsh results that I have seen have (or had?) Delaware Valley, Chesapeake, & Midwest Settlers as a common community. It looks as if this includes a few waves of emigration from various parts of Wales as well as other European countries.

There should be published information on emigration from Llŷn. Lots of people left the land in the 1800s, many going to Caernarfonshire granite quarries as well as slate quarries. Many of these families moved on to north America.It might be possible to search the list of matches for people born in the quarrying villages in Vermont, New York state etc.
    Well Today it's back to Dad (Parent #1) being almost the same as Mom (#2)
    Delaware Valley, Chesapeake & Midwest Settlers
    Delaware & Chesapeake Bay Settlers
    Ulster, Ireland Leinster, Ireland

But Phoebe Watts Thank You! I JUST sent to be printed a small Family History and I was struggling to understand how I was so LATE to realize that my grandfather who was Captain Robert Owen Jones in the Merchant Marine in Wales and US was who he was.. BUT several Welsh testers HAD pointed out his line to me.. sort of.. within the last 3-4 years.. There is one Jones line and one Morris/Owen/Thomas line that I connected to.. AND my first cousin once removed tested earlier this year ... and an important person in Wales (physician) connected to me also... But yes recently so My Irish must have overlapped

Although I WAS focusing on the Delaware Valley Slate mines community some of whom settled permantly in my small Southern New Jersey town
    Last edited by Kathlingram; 12-03-2022 at 03:07 PM.
    FTDNA- Group admin-FauntFant, LowerDelmarVa
    23andme,FTDNA,MyHeritage,LivingDNA
    3 Great GP 100% Ireland, 2 Great GP 100% Wales 7 GreatGreats 100% Ireland, 4 GreatGP 100% Wales ,3rdGreat GP Sweden,

Fantstown Castle 13C Limerick Ancestral

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    US
    mtDNA (M)
    J2b1a1(a)

Well Today it's back to Dad (Parent #1) being almost the same as Mom (#2)
    Delaware Valley, Chesapeake & Midwest Settlers
    Delaware & Chesapeake Bay Settlers
    Ulster, Ireland Leinster, Ireland

But Phoebe Watts Thank You! I JUST sent to be printed a small Family History and I was struggling to understand how I was so LATE to realize that my grandfather who was Captain Robert Owen Jones in the Merchant Marine in Wales and US was who he was.. BUT several Welsh testers HAD pointed out his line to me.. sort of.. within the last 3-4 years.. There is one Jones line and one Morris/Owen/Thomas line that I connected to.. AND my first cousin once removed tested earlier this year ... and an important person in Wales (physician) connected to me also... But yes recently so My Irish must have overlapped

Although I WAS focusing on the Delaware Valley Slate mines community some of whom settled permantly in my small Southern New Jersey town
    Now you all will think I am INSANE as My Welsh is BACK within the hour of when I posted..
    "Common communities
    These are the most common communities of your closest paternal matches.

Wales Delaware Valley, Chesapeake & Midwest Settlers "
    I do so appreciate everyone's attention to my Welsh especially Phoebe Watts, msmarjoribanks, and JonikW,.. for several years I've been asking for help with it. "That Wales ethnicity on Ancestry is quite recent. Welsh testers used to be shown as 50% English and 50% Irish so I guess it would have been difficult for a part Welsh tester to distinguish your Welsh ethnicity from English and Irish at that time."
    I just looked at 23andme and they are mum about Welsh( Except to break British down from Ireland)but I do have cousin matches from Wales maybe before 2019? not sure
    Last edited by Kathlingram; 12-03-2022 at 07:49 PM.
    3 Great GP 100% Ireland, 2 Great GP 100% Wales 7 GreatGreats 100% Ireland, 4 GreatGP 100% Wales ,3rdGreat GP Sweden,

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kathlingram For This Useful Post:

msmarjoribanks (12-19-2022)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    White British
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b (FGC5494)
    mtDNA (M)
    Not tested

Mine have changed. My grandmother who is Welsh didn't have Wales previously but does now:

Dad - Paternal - Wales, Devon, Central Southern England; Maternal - Wales, Devon
    Paternal grandfather's cousin - Paternal - Wales, Devon; Maternal - Wales, Devon, Central Southern England
    Paternal grandmother - Paternal - Wales, Devon, Central Southern England; Maternal - Wales, Devon
    Maternal aunt - Paternal - Wales, Devon; Maternal - Wales, Devon, Central Southern England

So all the US communities have disappeared even one that made sense (a fairly close relative went to Pennsylvania and had lots of descendants). Also all 4 kits now have the same communities, which is weird. My aunt shouldn't get Wales or Devon and previously had East and South East.

Would also be good if they showed common 2nd tier communities and not just the top tier.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Loderingo For This Useful Post:

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Nationality
    British

United Kingdom Netherlands Mauritius Madagascar India China
    Ours have changed again, they are different than they were last night All of our kits have Early New England Settlers and Early Connecticut & New York Settlers.
    Mine

Paternal - Early New England Settlers, Early Connecticut & New York Settlers, South East England, The Midlands England.
    Maternal - Early New England Settlers, Early Connecticut & New York Settlers, East of England, Central Southern England

Mum

Paternal - France, Southeastern Quebec French Settlers, Vietnam, Central Sweden (last night there was also Asians in South Africa which is one of my mum's communities, but that disappeared by this morning)
    Maternal - Early New England Settlers, Early Connecticut & New York Settlers, Virginia & Eastern Kentucky Settlers, West Virginia, Kentucky & Tennessee Settlers

EMW

Paternal - Southern Midwestern Settlers, Scottish Lowlands, Northern England & Northern Ireland, Early New England Settlers, West Virginia, Kentucky & Tennessee Settlers
    Maternal - Scottish Lowlands, Northern England & Northern Ireland, Early New England Settlers, Early Connecticut & New York Settlers, Early Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana & East Texas Settlers
    Ethnogene: 51.4% NW European, 21.6% W European, 10.1% Southeastern African, 9.5% Southeast Asian, 4.4% South Asian, 2% Scandinavian, 1% East African
    Papertrail @ 3xggrandparents: 31.25% London, 21.875% Dorset, 18.75% Mauritius, 6.25% Netherlands, 6.25% China 6.25% Hampshire 6.25% Buckinghamshire 3.125% Somerset

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    US
    mtDNA (M)
    J2b1a1(a)

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebe Watts View Post

Phoebe, Mrs Marjorie and others..especially those that answered my messages off line here.. The last several days I've been chatting with people here Gwynedd Family History Society.. Exciting stuff for me is that one person said this:"Found your tree on Ancestry. ��Now I see why you are over 50% Welsh" and several more said I match their mum Dad and shared all those and one person whose mum I share a 8th GF with on Gedmatch .. that takes me back hundreds of years before my Grandmother ever heard of a sailor or saw one..
    My Grandmother herself was a good 25+% percent Welsh in her background
    I am beyond thrilled.. even though I've been off Gedmatch for years
    Last edited by Kathlingram; 12-10-2022 at 08:19 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kathlingram For This Useful Post:

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Nationality
    British

United Kingdom Netherlands Mauritius Madagascar India China
    My DNA matches page is now all in Swedish
    Ethnogene: 51.4% NW European, 21.6% W European, 10.1% Southeastern African, 9.5% Southeast Asian, 4.4% South Asian, 2% Scandinavian, 1% East African
    Papertrail @ 3xggrandparents: 31.25% London, 21.875% Dorset, 18.75% Mauritius, 6.25% Netherlands, 6.25% China 6.25% Hampshire 6.25% Buckinghamshire 3.125% Somerset

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA (M)
    K2b2
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K2b1a1a

United States of America England Wales Sweden Germany
    Now you all will think I am INSANE as My Welsh is BACK within the hour of when I posted..
    "Common communities
    These are the most common communities of your closest paternal matches.

Wales Delaware Valley, Chesapeake & Midwest Settlers "
    I do so appreciate everyone's attention to my Welsh especially Phoebe Watts, msmarjoribanks, and JonikW,.. for several years I've been asking for help with it. "That Wales ethnicity on Ancestry is quite recent. Welsh testers used to be shown as 50% English and 50% Irish so I guess it would have been difficult for a part Welsh tester to distinguish your Welsh ethnicity from English and Irish at that time."
    I just looked at 23andme and they are mum about Welsh( Except to break British down from Ireland)but I do have cousin matches from Wales maybe before 2019? not sure
    I find 23andMe is bad with Welsh, at least for me, since I have lots of English too and they group England, Scotland, Wales, and NI all together. My UK results are dominated by more populous places (like London, Manchester), and those tend to be more in England. I don't get any Welsh or NI places, and yet I get various Irish places under my "likely Irish" event though my Irish all comes from what is now in NI. I think it's a population w/in the UK issue.

PA has a lot of Welsh -- my dad has the more recent Welsh (they went to Wisconsin and then west) and then some Ohio mine country from earlier, and a supposed (hasn't been proven but I have a couple of Welsh in Wales matches on the line) immigrant to Pennsylvania who moved to Virginia before the Revolution and then to North Carolina, but my mom actually has a lot too once I get to her colonial era ancestry, and it is largely in or from Pennsylvania.

I live in a part of Chicago that has streets named after places on the Philadelphia Main Line, and that includes names such as Berwyn and Bryn Mawr.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    US
    mtDNA (M)
    J2b1a1(a)

Quote Originally Posted by msmarjoribanks View Post
    I find 23andMe is bad with Welsh, at least for me, since I have lots of English too and they group England, Scotland, Wales, and NI all together. My UK results are dominated by more populous places (like London, Manchester), and those tend to be more in England. I don't get any Welsh or NI places, and yet I get various Irish places under my "likely Irish" event though my Irish all comes from what is now in NI. I think it's a population w/in the UK issue.

PA has a lot of Welsh -- my dad has the more recent Welsh (they went to Wisconsin and then west) and then some Ohio mine country from earlier, and a supposed (hasn't been proven but I have a couple of Welsh in Wales matches on the line) immigrant to Pennsylvania who moved to Virginia before the Revolution and then to North Carolina, but my mom actually has a lot too once I get to her colonial era ancestry, and it is largely in or from Pennsylvania.

I live in a part of Chicago that has streets named after places on the Philadelphia Main Line, and that includes names such as Berwyn and Bryn Mawr.
    I CAN use the 23andme dropdown "DNA Relatives" and type in "Wales and then "Sort By" for those 63 relatives my sons have more as their paternal Grandmother's father was from Wales

I AM working very hard to identify my Welsh including "Gasp" to get assistance to rejoin Gedmatch ...posting on this great place "Cymdeithas Hanes Teuluoedd Gwynedd /Gwynedd Family History Society" .. I find that Welsh are VERY interested in testing.. and we've exchanged kit names ..
    msmarjoriebanks and Phoebe Watts or anyone can give me some pointers on Gedmatch ( I was online there with John Olson when they picked up 23andme) but things have changed. Just not sure which programs are not a time waster..
    THIS group is immensely BiLingual and helpful
    Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    US
    mtDNA (M)
    J2b1a1(a)

Sorry duplicated
    Last edited by Kathlingram; 12-20-2022 at 02:04 PM. Reason: SORRY I duplicated the post

Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast