Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pre arab languages in 2 Arab " peninsula

Registered Users
    Sex

Pre arab languages in 2 Arab " peninsula

Hello everyone , being the origin of the Arabs is in modern day South Syria , Jordan and North Saudia Arabia asks me what languages were spoken in the " Arab peninsula " before the expansion of Arabic language

Northwestern and Western Saudi Arabia : Central Semitic languages like Dadanitic , Taymanitic, and Thamudic were spoken here which could be Arab

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dadanitic

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taymanitic

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thamudic

South Saudi Arabia , Yemen and Oman : South Semitic Languages such as Minean , Sabaean and Harsusi languages were spoken here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Semitic_languages

Eastern Saudi Arabia,: United Arab Emirates , Kuwait , Qatar and Bahrain : Eastern Saudi Arabia , Kuwait , Qatar and Bahrain were part of Dilmun which is considered to be Eastern Semitic speaking with a language similar to Akkadian, while I did not find what language was spoken in Magan in the United Arab Emirates

Center Saudi Arabia : Being a mostly arid area, I did not find a language or kingdom that lasted long, except for one or another writing from Central Semitic Languages, mostly Arabic.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lorddraco14 For This Useful Post:

Gentica277282 (11-03-2022)

Registered Users
    Sex

One question, do the people who live in the mentioned countries know about these pre-Arab peoples? Is there an influence of these languages in the Arabic dialects of the area, as if there is, for example, in Egyptian Arabic with Coptic? I understand that there are still South Semitic languages in Yemen and Oman

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern...bian_languages
    Last edited by lorddraco14; 11-03-2022 at 10:09 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Quote Originally Posted by lorddraco14 View Post
    Hello everyone , being the origin of the Arabs is in modern day South Syria , Jordan and North Saudia Arabia asks me what languages were spoken in the " Arab peninsula " before the expansion of Arabic language

Northwestern and Western Saudi Arabia : Central Semitic languages like Dadanitic , Taymanitic, and Thamudic were spoken here which could be Arab

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dadanitic

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taymanitic

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thamudic

South Saudi Arabia , Yemen and Oman : South Semitic Languages such as Minean , Sabaean and Harsusi languages were spoken here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Semitic_languages

Eastern Saudi Arabia,: United Arab Emirates , Kuwait , Qatar and Bahrain : Eastern Saudi Arabia , Kuwait , Qatar and Bahrain were part of Dilmun which is considered to be Eastern Semitic speaking with a language similar to Akkadian, while I did not find what language was spoken in Magan in the United Arab Emirates

Center Saudi Arabia : Being a mostly arid area, I did not find a language or kingdom that lasted long, except for one or another writing from Central Semitic Languages, mostly Arabic.
    Taymanitic apparently shares a feature with Northwest Semitic languages but not with Arabic, so it could be more related to NW Semitic than the other Central Semitic branchoffs, but it is definitely not Arabic. I'm not sure about Thamudic, but Dadanitic is also distinct from the older Arabic inscriptions and thus is likely more divergent from proto-Arabic.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Qrts For This Useful Post:

Gentica277282 (11-22-2022)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Qrts View Post
    Taymanitic apparently shares a feature with Northwest Semitic languages but not with Arabic, so it could be more related to NW Semitic than the other Central Semitic branchoffs, but it is definitely not Arabic. I'm not sure about Thamudic, but Dadanitic is also distinct from the older Arabic inscriptions and thus is likely more divergent from proto-Arabic.
    About Taymanitic as Northwest Semitic language Wikipedia says it but it spoke of one or another language in the Thamudic inscriptions but ok Taymanitic would be closer to the Canaanite languages and one question if that's not a problem. Do you have something about the languages spoken in Eastern Arabian ? Culturally it is very close to Mesopotamia and there was a time when both Arabic and Syriac were spoken in Roman times but before that I did not find out which language was spoken

7. The Following User Says Thank You to lorddraco14 For This Useful Post:

Qrts (11-22-2022)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

About Taymanitic as Northwest Semitic language Wikipedia says it but it spoke of one or another language in the Thamudic inscriptions but ok Taymanitic would be closer to the Canaanite languages and one question if that's not a problem. Do you have something about the languages spoken in Eastern Arabian ? Culturally it is very close to Mesopotamia and there was a time when both Arabic and Syriac were spoken in Roman times but before that I did not find out which language was spoken
    Unfortunately we can't know all of the languages which were spoken in 'Eastern Arabia' before antiquity, but there are numerous inscriptions recorded in the area that record a distinct language that some call Hasaitic, which doesn't seem to be Arabic, and these inscriptions can be found as far as southern Iraq and Oman.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Qrts For This Useful Post:

Gentica277282 (11-22-2022)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Somali
    Y-DNA (P)
    E1b1b1a1a2

Unfortunately we can't know all of the languages which were spoken in 'Eastern Arabia' before antiquity, but there are numerous inscriptions recorded in the area that record a distinct language that some call Hasaitic, which doesn't seem to be Arabic, and these inscriptions can be found as far as southern Iraq and Oman.
    You know if an inscription in Old English was to be found and you read it, it would appear completely different than todays English. We only know it’s English because it was spoken relatively recent in the medieval period. This is why I am of the opinion that these languages are Arabic or can be Arabic if we draw the definition of Arabic a bit further back in time. This is precisely what my Kuwaiti friend believes. To him, all the languages like Sabean, Dadanic, Sayhatic, Thamudic B, C etc are all considered Arabic but they just diverged into their own evolutionary pathways. Also it’s well known that Arab poets during the pre Islamic era used to come from all four corners of the peninsula and the clash with each other using a more prestigious koine language.
    Last edited by Bulletproofpride; 11-22-2022 at 11:21 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Bulletproofpride View Post
    You know if an inscription in Old English was to be found and you read it, it would appear completely different than todays English. We only know it’s English because it was spoken relatively recent in the medieval period. This is why I am of the opinion that these languages are Arabic or can be Arabic if we draw the definition of Arabic a bit further back in time. This is precisely what my Kuwaiti friend believes. To him, all the languages like Sabean, Dadanic, Sayhatic, Thamudic B, C etc are all considered Arabic but they just diverged into their own evolutionary pathways. Also it’s well known that Arab poets during the pre Islamic era used to come from all four corners of the peninsula and the clash with each other using a more prestigious koine language.
    To this day, Southern Semitic Languages still exist and are not related to Arabic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern...bian_languages

Registered Users
    Sex

wikipedia says that it was a Central Semitic language Would you say that it would be closer to Aramaic or Arabic ?
    Last edited by lorddraco14; 11-23-2022 at 09:48 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Quote Originally Posted by Bulletproofpride View Post
    Sayhadic languages are definitely not Arabic dialects.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

ikipedia says that it was a Central Semitic language Would you say that it would be closer to Aramaic or Arabic ?
    It would have diverged closer to Arabic than Aramaic which is a Northwest Semitic language. Aramaic would have diverged later from a common ancestor with Amorite and Canaanite languages.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast