England
    Y-DNA
    R1a Z284 YP398*
    mtDNA
    W1g

England Poland Norway

BritainsDNA Chromo2 opinions?

Evening all,

( I was originally on here as Wulf Talented but left for a while, forgot my password and I'm not receiving the email to change it at my Email address? )

Anyhow,
    I'm creating a portfolio of my DNA and ancestry. I have already tested with 23andMe, FTDNA and Nat Geno, as well as put my genome results through the likes of Gedmatch tools etc.

I'm wanting to test with another company, I sound addicted ( well I am ). DNAtribes seems to have bad press but BritainsDNA looks promising, what are your opinions/thoughts on them, has anyone tested with them and been pleased with their results?

I'm looking to order the chromo2 >268k, as it's reduced in price.

Many thanks,
    Wulf
    Last edited by Wulf Warrior; 06-17-2014 at 06:28 PM.

Sex
    Ethnicity
    English
    Nationality
    England
    Y-DNA
    R1a Z284 YP398*
    mtDNA
    W1g

England Poland Norway
    Anyone, an opinion on them at least?
    Ancestry - 7/8ths English 1/8th Polish.

An anaylysis by Davidski
    "You fit into what I call the North Sea cluster, which includes people who live around the North Sea, like those from eastern England and Scotland, the northern Netherlands, northwest Germany, and western Scandinavia."

"On my system your best population fit is:
    East English, Norwegian, North Dutch
    "57% indigenous European hunter-gatherer and 42% Neolithic farmer"

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1b-FGC36981
    mtDNA
    U5a2c3a

Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    I did the Chromo2 Complete and am very pleased with the results. I did not really learn anything new on the y-dna side, but it was nice to have my FTDNA SNP test results confirmed by a second, independent source. Chromo2's mtDNA testing was more extensive than what I had had before, so I did learn a lot on the distaff side, although that is not my main interest (in fact, I really don't bother with the mtDNA side of things much at all).

Chromo2 Complete includes autosomal testing, which was interesting. I also got the Red Head Test from BDNA, and found out I am a carrier of the red hair variant Arg160Tryp.

Hidden Content

Y-DNA: R1b-FGC36981 (L21> DF13> Z39589> CTS2501> Z43690> Y8426> BY160> FGC36974>FGC36982 >FGC36981)

Additional Data:
    Lactase Persistent:
    rs4988235 AA (13910 TT)
    rs182549 TT (22018 AA)

Red Hair Carrier:
    Arg160Trp+ (rs1805008 T) aka R160W

Dad's mtDNA: K1a1

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English, Irish, German
    Nationality
    US
    Y-DNA
    L21>L226>FGC5639

England Germany Netherlands France Ireland Switzerland
    I would save for a Full Y test (either FGC or Big Y). Both the Nat Geo and BritainDNA have at most 10 % chance of discovering a new terminal YSNP. However, Big Y will discover 10 to 20 and FGC probably 20 to 30 new YSNPs of interest to research. $500 and $1,000 (sales prices) are much steeper but will contribute much more. It would also help to know what you have already tested positive for. BritainDNA does very well on specific parts of the haplotree (like under L21). Look for "S" YSNPs under your terminal YSNP for BritainDNA unique YSNPs.

Sex
    Ethnicity
    English
    Nationality
    England
    Y-DNA
    R1a Z284 YP398*
    mtDNA
    W1g

England Poland Norway
    Quote Originally Posted by rms2 View Post
    I did the Chromo2 Complete and am very pleased with the results. I did not really learn anything new on the y-dna side, but it was nice to have my FTDNA SNP test results confirmed by a second, independent source. Chromo2's mtDNA testing was more extensive than what I had had before, so I did learn a lot on the distaff side, although that is not my main interest (in fact, I really don't bother with the mtDNA side of things much at all).

Chromo2 Complete includes autosomal testing, which was interesting. I also got the Red Head Test from BDNA, and found out I am a carrier of the red hair variant Arg160Tryp.

Morning,

Thanks for replying.
    did you at all receive a printable pack of your results? I'm not sure what new stuff Chromo2 could tell me, but I'd still like to take it. MtDNA I'm a little sceptical, due to the lack of research on it, but because I'm collecting and gathering research, the Chromo 2 sounds a real good test with the prinatable information.

I'm glad you was pleased with it!

An anaylysis by Davidski
    "You fit into what I call the North Sea cluster, which includes people who live around the North Sea, like those from eastern England and Scotland, the northern Netherlands, northwest Germany, and western Scandinavia."

Sex
    Ethnicity
    English
    Nationality
    England
    Y-DNA
    R1a Z284 YP398*
    mtDNA
    W1g

England Poland Norway
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertCasey View Post
    I would save for a Full Y test (either FGC or Big Y). Both the Nat Geo and BritainDNA have at most 10 % chance of discovering a new terminal YSNP. However, Big Y will discover 10 to 20 and FGC probably 20 to 30 new YSNPs of interest to research. $500 and $1,000 (sales prices) are much steeper but will contribute much more. It would also help to know what you have already tested positive for. BritainDNA does very well on specific parts of the haplotree (like under L21). Look for "S" YSNPs under your terminal YSNP for BritainDNA unique YSNPs.

I will be buying the Big Y aswell! Can't miss out on that, I'm just gutted I hesitated to buy it at the discounted price, but I was still receiving my 67 marker Y Test results. How deep does the Big Y go, how far back?

Thanks!

An anaylysis by Davidski

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    Irish
    Y-DNA
    R1b-L21-DF21-S5456
    mtDNA
    H1C1

Ireland European Union
    Wulf,

I did the Chromo2 test and was impressed with the printed package.
    The advantages are their coverage of the Isles, Cultural and Historical interpretation.
    Their disadvantages are different naming conventions and lack of matching capability.
    However I agree with Charles that you have a better chance of SNP discovery with Big Y or FGC.
    Here are sample results.
    http://www.pinterest.com/gerardcorcoran/britains-dna/
    Gerard Corcoran
    R1b-DF21-S5456-S6166, H1C1

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1b-FGC36981
    mtDNA
    U5a2c3a

I agree that Big Y and FGC are more comprehensive than Chromo2, but I was still pleased with the results. I'm pretty sure BDNA will be coming out soon with its own big-gun y-dna test to rival the Big Y.

While I am a huge fan of FTDNA and of Bennett Greenspan, I think it is important and valuable, if one can swing it, to get independent confirmation of one's test results. I feel better knowing that a second, independent testing company has confirmed the SNP, mtDNA, and autosomal (including the red hair variant) test results I got from FTDNA.

Hidden Content

Y-DNA: R1b-FGC36981 (L21> DF13> Z39589> CTS2501> Z43690> Y8426> BY160> FGC36974>FGC36982 >FGC36981)

Additional Data:
    Lactase Persistent:
    rs4988235 AA (13910 TT)
    rs182549 TT (22018 AA)

Red Hair Carrier:

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1b-FGC36981
    mtDNA
    U5a2c3a

Quote Originally Posted by rms2 View Post
    I agree that Big Y and FGC are more comprehensive than Chromo2, but I was still pleased with the results. I'm pretty sure BDNA will be coming out soon with its own big-gun y-dna test to rival the Big Y.

While I am a huge fan of FTDNA and of Bennett Greenspan, I think it is important and valuable, if one can swing it, to get independent confirmation of one's test results. I feel better knowing that a second, independent testing company has confirmed the SNP, mtDNA, and autosomal (including the red hair variant) test results I got from FTDNA.
    I guess it wouldn't hurt to mention that I ordered a Geno 2.0 for my dad and the Chromo2 Complete for myself before FTDNA came out with the Big Y. Thus I have not been able to purchase a Big Y test yet, and the FGC is just out of the question.

On the subject of having independent confirmation of one's test results, I have seen reports over the years of a number of pretty spectacular FTDNA lab errors. They are, thankfully, relatively rare, but they do occur. People occasionally get bogus results assigning them to the wrong y haplogroup, and I have even seen instances of lab mix-ups, in which one gets assigned someone else's results and vice versa. That has never happened to me - thank God! - but it does happen. It's good to get an independent second opinion, if you can afford it.

Hidden Content

Additional Data:
    Lactase Persistent:
    rs4988235 AA (13910 TT)
    rs182549 TT (22018 AA)

Red Hair Carrier:

Sex
    Ethnicity
    English
    Nationality
    England
    Y-DNA
    R1a Z284 YP398*
    mtDNA
    W1g

England Poland Norway
    After I have paid my braces of this month, I'll see what money I have left. I have the Chromo2 in the checkout bag ready to order, I just need to pay of my braces and then I'll go ahead if I can afford it. If not, then It'll definitely be next pay day which is only two weeks away.

FTDNA have so far, for me been accurate. Well, partially... It correlates well with my 23andMe results if you accept the population reference descriptions.

Thanks chaps

An anaylysis by Davidski

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Wulf Warrior For This Useful Post:

rms2 (06-29-2014)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast