Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Y-DNA
    R1b-L21>DF63>CTS6919
    mtDNA
    I1a1

Have got 2% Native American but according to them anything under 3% is likely just noise. I'd contact them though, as they are apparently able to tell 'significant' pieces of DNA from others, don't know how.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    R1b-U106+ Z12+ (Dad)
    mtDNA
    U4c1a

England
    Wulf

If you've already done the Geno 2.0 test you're not going to get much more out of the BritainsDNA test as the Y-SNP part is very similar to Geno 2.0. Both tests only report on known Y-SNPs. Your best option would be to pay a little more for a Y-chromosome sequencing test. These are SNP discovery tests that are helping to refine the Y-SNP tree and will give you your precise placement on the tree. There are currently two options: the Y Elite from Full Genomes Corporation and the Big Y from Family Tree DNA. See the ISOGG SNP testing comparison chart:

http://www.isogg.org/wiki/Y-DNA_SNP_testing_chart

It would also be a good idea to seek advice from the admins of the haplogroup R1a project:

https://www.familytreedna.com/groups...out/background
    Last edited by DebbieK; 11-05-2015 at 04:19 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pictland/Deira
    Y-DNA
    R1b-M222-FGC5864
    mtDNA
    H5r*

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieK View Post
    Wulf

If you've already done the Geno 2.0 test you're not going to get much more out of the BritainsDNA test as the Y-SNP part is very similar to Geno 2.0. Both tests only report on known Y-SNPs. Your best option would be to pay a little more for a Y-chromosome sequencing test. These are SNP discovery tests that are helping to refine the Y-SNP tree and will give you your precise placement on the tree. There are currently two options: the Y Elite from Full Genomes Corporation and the Big Y from Family Tree DNA. See the ISOGG SNP testing comparison chart:

http://www.isogg.org/wiki/Y-DNA_SNP_testing_chart
    I wouldn't call the Y portion of Chromo2 'very similar to Geno 2.0' at all. There was significant SNP discovery between the two, including some in-house research by Dr. James Wilson. And not just M222 either. I am sure we've been over all this many times before.

The comparison chart has no column for YSEQ which launched at the end of 2013 (!).

Also for completeness some mention should be made of the Y SNPs on the AncestryDNA chip even if they don't merit a column. They are reported by Promethease or can be viewed in the raw data file.
    Last edited by MacUalraig; 11-05-2015 at 04:19 PM. Reason: turned down the volume a bit
    YSEQ:#37; YFull: YF01405 (Y Elite 2013)
    WGS (Full Genomes Nov 2015, YSEQ Feb 2019, Dante Mar 2019, FGC-10X Linked Reads Apr 2019, Dante-Nanopore May 2019) - further WGS tests pending ;-)
    Ancestry GCs: Scots in central Scotland & Ulster, Ireland; English in Yorkshire & Pennines
    Hidden Content
    FBIMatch: A828783 (autosomal DNA) for segment matching DO NOT POST ADMIXTURE REPORTS USING MY KIT

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    R1b-U106+ Z12+ (Dad)
    mtDNA
    U4c1a

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUalraig View Post
    I wouldn't call the Y portion of Chromo2 'very similar to Geno 2.0' at all. There was significant SNP discovery between the two, including some in-house research by Dr. James Wilson. And not just M222 either. I am sure we've been over all this many times before.

The comparison chart has no column for YSEQ which launched at the end of 2013 (!).

Also for completeness some mention should be made of the Y SNPs on the AncestryDNA chip even if they don't merit a column. They are reported by Promethease or can be viewed in the raw data file.
    The original enquiry, which I can't seem to find any more, was for an R1a man. Geno 2.0 and Chromo 2 are both chip tests so they are very similar. Chromo 2 is more focused on SNPs of interest to people from the UK and Ireland. A Chromo 2 test is not going to be of good value for anyone who's already done the Geno 2.0 test.

I should have mentioned that there are also the new SNP packs from FTDNA. I don't know offhand which ones are available at present. I note too that YSEQ have a new R1a SNP panel test that's just come out:

http://www.yseq.net/product_info.php?products_id=21318

The ISOGG Wiki can be edited by all ISOGG members. Perhaps you might like to update the appropriate pages. Chris R was planning to re-organise the SNP testing chart and add YSEQ but he hasn't yet got round to it so you might like to check with him first or add a note on the talk page. I'm not sure quite what he had in mind.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456