Ethnicity
    Bulgarian, Eastern Slavic
    Nationality
    Bulgarian
    mtDNA (M)
    U

Bulgaria

More about common communities

Hello everyone. Let’s talk more about the common communities on the New parental phasing feature on Ancestry. They are supposed to be the most common communities for your parent’s DNA matches- this means they may have nothing to do with you; but could have been from where your ancestors have settled; the places they had lived and left their DNA.
    However, many people say that in most of the cases some of the common communities overlap with their own genetic communities. In my case, there isn’t an overlap at all. What about you?
    Do your common communities somehow cover your own recent ancestry and genetic regions and to what extent?
    Thank you in advance!

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bul For This Useful Post:

Cascio (11-21-2022),  Mr.G (11-25-2022),  Riverman (11-21-2022),  rothaer (11-25-2022),  TOMESQ (11-21-2022)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    NW Tuscan/Italian
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U152+Z36+A7967
    mtDNA (M)
    U6a7a1c1

Scotland Italy Tuscany
    In my case the common communities are based on whoever my ancestors intermarried with in North America. There is no correspondence with my single genetic community, Northern Tuscany and Emilia-Romagna.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cascio For This Useful Post:

Bul (11-21-2022),  Riverman (11-21-2022),  TOMESQ (11-21-2022)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ger.-Brit.-Catalan-more
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-YP619*
    mtDNA (M)
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland
    My "Common communities" are all in the U.S., which is understandable considering how long ago my immigrant ancestors arrived here. And, yes, I would say that they fit the sides Ancestry has associated them with fairly well.

For example, the "most common communities of [my] closest paternal matches" are (1) Early Pennsylvania Settlers, and (2) Pennsylvania, Eastern Ohio, Northern West Virginia & Maryland Settlers. Given that my father's ancestry consists mainly of German and British immigrants who settled in Pennsylvania, and my father was born and raised in central Pennsylvania, as were his parents, their parents, etc., this makes sense.

On my mother's side, I have (1) "Virginia & Eastern Kentucky Settlers", (2) "Western Gulf States Settlers", (3) "Early Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana & East Texas Settlers", and (4) "Appalachian Settlers of Kentucky". (1) and (4) here include mostly matches on my maternal grandfather's side; while (2) and (3) are mostly associated with my maternal grandmother's side.

There is one interesting area of overlap on my maternal side, in that a 2nd cousin who is a fellow descendant of my grandfather's parents and is connected to my communities (1) and (4), also happens to be associated with my community (2) on my grandmother's side. As far as I've been able to tell, we don't share any DNA on my grandmother's side, but we might still be distantly related on that side.

On my side, both the 2nd cousin relationship and any possible more distant relationship go through my mother, one through each of her parents. But on my cousin's side, the 2nd cousin relationship is through his mother, while any more distant relationship would be through his father. But, because we're 2nd cousins, this match -- and his son -- show up as top matches for two different, and essentially unconnected, communities.
    Last edited by geebee; 11-21-2022 at 09:09 AM.
    Besides British-German-Catalan, ancestry includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw & another NA tribe, possibly Catawba. Avatar picture is: my father, his father, & his father's father; baby is my eldest brother.

GB

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geebee For This Useful Post:

Bul (11-21-2022),  Riverman (11-21-2022)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M222

Northern Ireland Ireland Scotland
    My communities do overlap, I have all of them in my own results.

However, for my father his father has two American GCs in the Appalachians that we have no connection to.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Nqp15hhu For This Useful Post:

Bul (11-21-2022)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English, German, Scottish
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U106-Z8-S1774
    mtDNA (M)
    T1a1p
    Y-DNA (M)
    R-U152

England Scotland Germany Netherlands
    Capture AncestryDNA Communities.PNG

Sure, mine overlap with my Colonial American ancestry, although its hit and miss. A genetic melange.

There does seem to be a warm spot for PA, which is my Colonial ancestry "Home". But North Carolina, my other ancestral "Home" is nearly blank.
    And I am a little surprised that I missed anything in New York, because I do have Dutch NY ancestry, which due to 2 centuries of intermarriage, should have caught the attention of a Dutch NY GC, assuming one exists.
    Last edited by MAbrams; 11-21-2022 at 08:29 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-FGC21735
    mtDNA (M)
    H1c3

England Ireland Wales Scotland England North of England European Union
    On Parent 1's side (I think this is my dad's side) -

Scottish Lowlands, Northern England & Northern Ireland - A large part of my ancestry on both sides is from the North West of England (from all of the modern counties of the region) with some from North Yorkshire.

Early Georgia Coastal Plain & Northern Florida Settlers - I do have distant links to early settlers in the US, but those are more Virginia and New England

North West England & the Isle of Man - My home region and where a lot of my ancestry is from

Yorkshire & East Midlands, England - I have some Yorkshire ancestry

On Parent 2's side -

Early Connecticut & New York Settlers - More links to American cousins

North West England & the Isle of Man

Yorkshire & East Midlands, England

Southern Ontario Settlers - On my mum's side, I have some relatives who emigrated to Southern Ontario with a common ancestor back in the 1700s. They intermarried a lot with Mennonites and many of them also moved to the US. Some other relatives on that branch went straight to the US, mainly Michigan.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephen1986 For This Useful Post:

Bul (11-21-2022),  Riverman (11-21-2022)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Bulgarian, Eastern Slavic
    Nationality
    Bulgarian
    mtDNA (M)
    U

Bulgaria
    So many helpful answers, thank you guys! It’s interesting I have some of the mentioned American common communities without having relatives; at least not closer ones, who had immigrated to the States. My parent 1’s communities and 1 from parent 2:

Early Pensilvania settlers
    Delaware Valley, Chesapeake& Midwest settlers
    Pennsylvania , Eastern Ohio, Northern West Virginia& Maryland settlers
    Munster, Ireland
    Early Connecticut & New York settlers
    Last edited by Bul; 11-22-2022 at 05:05 AM.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bul For This Useful Post:

Mr.G (11-25-2022),  Riverman (11-21-2022),  Stephen1986 (11-21-2022)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English, German, Scottish
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U106-Z8-S1774
    mtDNA (M)
    T1a1p
    Y-DNA (M)
    R-U152

England Scotland Germany Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Bul View Post
    Hello everyone. Let’s talk more about the common communities on the New parental phasing feature on Ancestry. They are supposed to be the most common communities for your parent’s DNA matches- this means they may have nothing to do with you; but could have been from where your ancestors have settled; the places they had lived and left their DNA.
    However, many people say that in most of the cases some of the common communities overlap with their own genetic communities. In my case, there isn’t an overlap at all. What about you?
    Do your common communities somehow cover your own recent ancestry and genetic regions and to what extent?
    Thank you in advance!

hmmm....I am just coming up to speed...Until 10 min ago, I didnt realize there was a difference between My GC and Common GC.

I will try to answer the actual question this time.

I have 8 Common GC. 4 are Maternal and 4 are Paternal. Only one appears on My GC list, "Delaware Valley, Chesapeake & Midwest Settlers" , which actually appears on both of my Maternal and Paternal lists.

That said, I am not sure who my Delaware and Chesapeake ancestors might be. I do have a bucket load of Midwest settlers, who came from other regions.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MAbrams For This Useful Post:

Bul (11-22-2022)

Registered Users
    Sex

My maternal ancestors lived all in Central Europe, being from different ethnicities, but all communities in common are American settler communities.

I got "Delaware Valley, Chesapeake & Midwest Settlers" for my maternal communities in common too by the way. Before the latest updates, I had a German dominated settler community in America and was assigned to Eastern (Central) Europe too. Both communities are gone now.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Riverman For This Useful Post:

Bul (11-22-2022),  capsian (11-21-2022)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA (M)
    K2b2
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K2b1a1a

United States of America England Wales Sweden Germany
    My only communities are Delaware Valley, Chesapeake & Midwest Settlers, with a subgroup Early Industrial Midwest Settlers and then Upper Midwest & Western U.S. Settlers.

All true, but incredibly generic and boring.

My communities on my dad's side are Southern Midwestern Settlers, Early Connecticut & New York Settlers, Delaware Valley, Chesapeake & Midwest Settlers, and West Virginia, Kentucky & Tennessee Settlers.

My communities on my mom's side are Early Connecticut & New York Settlers, Delaware Valley, Chesapeake & Midwest Settlers, St. Louis, Missouri & Western U.S. Settlers, and West Virginia, Kentucky & Tennessee Settlers.

So not wildly different.

My dad's actual communities are more interesting. He gets The Midlands, England, Upper Midwest & Western U.S. Settlers, Delaware Valley, Chesapeake & Midwest Settlers, and Early Upper South Settlers.

His mom's side gets Southern Midwestern Settlers, Arkansas, Oklahoma & Texas Settlers, West Virginia, Kentucky & Tennessee Settlers, and Delaware Valley, Chesapeake & Midwest Settlers.

His dad's side gets North Central Appalachia Settlers, Delaware Valley, Chesapeake & Midwest Settlers, Virginia & Eastern Kentucky Settlers, and West Virginia, Kentucky & Tennessee Settlers.

A lot of that is just due to cousins. Basically, my mom and dad both have ancestors from New England, the Mid Atlantic, and the South from Colonial times, all of whom went to the Midwest and some to the West in my direct line, but some collateral lines either stayed in the South or went west on a more Southern route. But my direct family (other than the few lines not in the US) was basically all in Ohio. Indiana, or Illinois by the early 1800s. My later immigrants all went to the midwest or west also.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

Bul (11-25-2022),  Cascio (11-25-2022)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast