Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Exhumation of remains of a Galician nobleman to check if he was related to C. Columbu

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    German

Personally I hope the Pedro Scotto theory of a Genoese of Scottish descent moving to Portugal and then to Spain is correct. Simply to rile everyone up.

Anyway, I do not know why it matters that much if Columbus was Italian or Spanish. Without his captains and his crews, who were almost entirely Spaniards, and the Spanish crown, none of “his” accomplishments would have been possible.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chnodomar For This Useful Post:

Cascio (11-24-2022),  DNHey (11-26-2022),  Neoroad (11-26-2022)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italian Alpine
    Nationality
    Australian and Italian
    Y-DNA (P)
    T1a2 - SK1480
    mtDNA (M)
    H95a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-S8172
    mtDNA (P)
    T2b17

Australia Italy Veneto Friuli Italy Trentino Alto Adige Germany Palatinate Republic of Venice
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajeje Brazorf View Post
    Both Ligurian and Catalan are Gallo-Romance languages: Ligurian being Gallo-Italic and Catalan being Occitano-Romance. The funny thing is that Columbus originally would have understood a Catalan better than a Florentine or a Portuguese.

But anyway, Columbus almost always wrote in Castilian mixing it a bit with Portuguese.
    what are you trying to say

L'Oc ( Occitan ) stretches from Italy to Spain in southern France .........it is a gallic-latin based language.............northern france has L'Oil , a gallic-frankish based language.

ligurian and florentine or lucchese or even pisan are different from each other.

Catalan with Aragonese where a trading empire , ruling southern Italy Sardinia and even having footholds in Greece under the Navarre banner ..............the Catalan/Aragon kingdom was always aligned with Venice.....having formed an alliance from 1398.

Columbus being catalan or genovese , would have understood both languages .............less so, castilian, leonese, galician or Portuguese

his parents where genovese ........Domenico Colombo, a Genoese wool worker and merchant, and Susanna Fontanarossa

My Path = ( K-M9+, LT-P326+, T-M184+, L490+, M70+, PF5664+, L131+, L446+, CTS933+, CTS3767+, CTS8862+, Z19945+, BY143483+, Y349970+, Y79536+ )

Grandfather via paternal grandmother = I1-CTS6397 yDna
    Great grandmother paternal side = T1a1e mtDna

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    aDNA Match (1st)
    Muslim Sharqi Andalusi Iberia_Southeast_c.10-16CE:I12514 0.03148322

Quote Originally Posted by vettor View Post
    what are you trying to say

L'Oc ( Occitan ) stretches from Italy to Spain in southern France .........it is a gallic-latin based language.............northern france has L'Oil , a gallic-frankish based language.

ligurian and florentine or lucchese or even pisan are different from each other.

Catalan with Aragonese where a trading empire , ruling southern Italy Sardinia and even having footholds in Greece under the Navarre banner ..............the Catalan/Aragon kingdom was always aligned with Venice.....having formed an alliance from 1398.

Columbus being catalan or genovese , would have understood both languages .............less so, castilian, leonese, galician or Portuguese

his parents where genovese ........Domenico Colombo, a Genoese wool worker and merchant, and Susanna Fontanarossa
    L'Oil is also from latin
    Distance: 0.0083% / 0.00831528 | R5P
    31.3 French_Bigorre
    28.5 BelgianA
    16.3 Saharawi
    15.8 Czech
    8.1 Greek_Crete

Distance: 0.0078% / 0.00780947 | R7P
    25.5 BelgianA
    17.2 Czech
    16.7 Saharawi
    12.7 French_Brittany
    11.0 Sardinian
    10.5 French_Bigorre
    6.4 Italian_Basilicata

Distance: 0.0108% / 0.01075681 | ADC: 0.25x RC
    20.2 French_Nord
    18.6 French_Bigorre
    14.2 BelgianB
    13.6 Czech
    12.7 Mozabite
    9.0 BelgianC
    8.7 Saharawi
    3.0 Italian_Lazio

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italian Alpine
    Nationality
    Australian and Italian
    Y-DNA (P)
    T1a2 - SK1480
    mtDNA (M)
    H95a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-S8172
    mtDNA (P)
    T2b17

Australia Italy Veneto Friuli Italy Trentino Alto Adige Germany Palatinate Republic of Venice
    where ever christoforo was born .............he would have been taught and spoke his mother tongue ..............his mother below was genovese

When Susanna Fontanarossa was born from 10 January 1422 to 9 January 1423, in Quezzi, Genoa, Genova, Liguria, Italy, her father, Giacomo Fontanarossa, was 24 and her mother, Èpouse de Lacobi, was 19. She had at least 4 sons and 1 daughter with Domenico Colombo. She died in 1489, in Genova, Liguria, Italy, at the age of 67, and was buried in Genova, Liguria, Italy.

My Path = ( K-M9+, LT-P326+, T-M184+, L490+, M70+, PF5664+, L131+, L446+, CTS933+, CTS3767+, CTS8862+, Z19945+, BY143483+, Y349970+, Y79536+ )

Grandfather via paternal grandmother = I1-CTS6397 yDna
    Great grandmother paternal side = T1a1e mtDna

6. The Following User Says Thank You to vettor For This Useful Post:

Cascio (11-25-2022)

Banned
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF27

Castile and León Spanish Empire (1506-1701)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chnodomar View Post
    Personally I hope the Pedro Scotto theory of a Genoese of Scottish descent moving to Portugal and then to Spain is correct. Simply to rile everyone up.

Anyway, I do not know why it matters that much if Columbus was Italian or Spanish. Without his captains and his crews, who were almost entirely Spaniards, and the Spanish crown, none of “his” accomplishments would have been possible.
    Yeah, a lot is said about Colón and nothing about his crew, but we know the names of 87 people who accompanied him including the 39 who died at Fort Navidad in Hispaniola.

Banned
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF27

Quote Originally Posted by Billyh View Post
    Some people think he's Jewish.

I think he is italian though. Are we getting the DNA of Columbus himself?
    Yes Columbus himself and his two sons Diego and Hernando.

Most people think he was italian, but I think there are going to be surprises. Jewish? No way

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Andalusian (Spain)
    Nationality
    Española
    aDNA Match (1st)
    Iron Age Smiljan Croatia I23911
    aDNA Match (2nd)
    Late Roman Period Tes Mlynany Slovakia R2206
    aDNA Match (3rd)
    Middle Bronze Age Musego Croatia I26774
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V22--E-BY7449
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c5c1
    mtDNA (P)
    U6a3b1

Spain Andalucia European Union

In Spain, the origin of Columbus has never been a preferential topic regarding the discovery and conquest of America, since Isabella put Columbus aside at the right time, which was right away.

It is rather a modern issue that it has been questioned that he might not be Genoese which is the version we had always known, it is that we have been put the honey on our lips and now we must get the information however we can, because the delay in giving the information is very suspicious because the character of Columbus as I said before for us in spite of his feat does not have the transcendence that Isabel and Fernando and other Spanish conquerors and discoverers have but nevertheless Columbus in the United States due to the reference that he is for the ethnic minority of Italian origin that I believe is fully integrated in the United States and it should be something big for them as a minority of Italian origin that I believe is fully integrated in the United States. It must have been a great thing for them as a minority to be able to say to the majority that one of them had discovered America, so they would even have influenced the idea that Columbus is held in the United States, so how to tell all these people now that Columbus was not Italian, and for that reason I think they have stopped the publication of the results, making excuses until the public forgets, because really for us Spaniards the origin of Columbus has not been something transcendent but it is for other communities.
    Last edited by hantrolugharsts; 11-25-2022 at 08:35 AM.
    E-BY7449 E-BY7566 E-FT155550 YF87731 YF66572
    According to oral family tradition E-FT155550 comes from a deserter of Napoleon's troops (1808-1813) who stayed in Spain and changed his surname.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to hantrolugharsts For This Useful Post:

Cascio (11-25-2022)

Registered Users
    Sex

It reminds me of what happens with the first trip around the world where everyone mentions Magellan but they always skip over Elcano.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italo-Iberian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U152>L2>FGC10543
    mtDNA (M)
    H4a1-T152C!

United States of America Italy 1861-1946 Italy Sicily Spain
    Quote Originally Posted by hantrolugharsts View Post
    In Spain, the origin of Columbus has never been a preferential topic regarding the discovery and conquest of America, since Isabella put Columbus aside at the right time, which was right away.

It is rather a modern issue that it has been questioned that he might not be Genoese which is the version we had always known, it is that we have been put the honey on our lips and now we must get the information however we can, because the delay in giving the information is very suspicious because the character of Columbus as I said before for us in spite of his feat does not have the transcendence that Isabel and Fernando and other Spanish conquerors and discoverers have but nevertheless Columbus in the United States due to the reference that he is for the ethnic minority of Italian origin that I believe is fully integrated in the United States and it should be something big for them as a minority of Italian origin that I believe is fully integrated in the United States. It must have been a great thing for them as a minority to be able to say to the majority that one of them had discovered America, so they would even have influenced the idea that Columbus is held in the United States, so how to tell all these people now that Columbus was not Italian, and for that reason I think they have stopped the publication of the results, making excuses until the public forgets, because really for us Spaniards the origin of Columbus has not been something transcendent but it is for other communities.
    I can guarantee you that the Columbus Day parade would be renamed to something like "Italian Heritage Day Parade" and life will go on. The mentions of Columbus by Italian Americans, outside of the name of the parade, are close to nil.
    Paternal: R1b-U152 >> L2 >> FGC10543 >> PR5365, Pietro Rocca, b. 1559, Agira, Sicily, Italy
    Maternal: H4a1-T152C!, Maria Coto, b. ~1864, Galicia, Spain
    Mother's Paternal: J1+ FGC4745/FGC4766+ PF5019+, Gerardo Caprio, b. 1879, Caposele, Avellino, Campania, Italy
    Father's Maternal: T2b-C150T, Francisca Santa Cruz, b.1916, Garganchon, Burgos, Spain
    Paternal Great (x3) Grandfather: R1b-U106 >> L48 >> CTS2509, Filippo Ensabella, b.~1836, Agira, Sicily, Italy

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to R.Rocca For This Useful Post:

alchemist223 (11-25-2022),  Cascio (11-25-2022),  JoeyP37 (11-25-2022)

Banned
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF27

The same for us, the day of the Hispanidad, october 12, will continue to be celebrated, regardless of where Colon was born. It is not a subject that worries us but we are intrigued to know the truth. If i had to bet i would say he was italian, but who knows?

If Colón finally turns out to be Galician, the Genoese will deny it and will continue to show Colombo's birthplace to tourists, while in Pontevedra they will promote Colon's tourism.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast