Page 43 of 47 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: Lexical Comparison of vernacular Syriac ("Sureth"), Akkadian, and other languages

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian
    Y-DNA
    G1a
    mtDNA
    I5b1

Quote Originally Posted by Tomasso29 View Post
    Though most Eastern Assyrians use Qeena (Green), Meela (Blue), and Zarda (Yellow), the original words are Yaroqa (Green), Zarqa (Blue), and Sha'uta (Yellow).

Not sure where Meela and Qeena came from but they don't sound foreign to me. Zarda on the other hand is Iranian in origin.
    This one is fun to compare I guess. We say

Green - Yaroqa
    Red - Smoqa
    Blue - Mila
    Yellow - Kurqmana
    Purple - Banafsagi
    Orange - Portoqali
    Pink - Wardi(we use the word warda for flower nowadays and not habawa)
    Black - Koma/Kuma
    White - Khwara

I'm guessing most of these are from Arabic or Kurdish.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Helves For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (04-30-2018), Humanist (04-30-2018), Targum (05-16-2018)

Administrator
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    G1a1b1 (GG167/GG200)
    mtDNA
    HV4a2a

Quote Originally Posted by Helves View Post
    This one is fun to compare I guess. We say

Green - Yaroqa
    Red - Smoqa
    Blue - Mila
    Yellow - Kurqmana
    Purple - Banafsagi
    Orange - Portoqali
    Pink - Wardi(we use the word warda for flower nowadays and not habawa)
    Black - Koma/Kuma
    White - Khwara

I'm guessing most of these are from Arabic or Kurdish.
    The words for white, black, green, yellow and red are from Aramaic. I reckon that orange, purple and pink are from, as you surmised, an Indo-Iranian language or Arabic.

Not sure where blue comes from. The word for "ink" in Greek, meláni, made its way into Christian Palestinian Aramaic as "myln," and derived from that was a term attested in Galilean Aramaic, "mylny," meaning "black." Perhaps there was a similar evolution for "mila"?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Humanist For This Useful Post:

Helves (04-30-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian
    Y-DNA
    G1a
    mtDNA
    I5b1

Quote Originally Posted by Humanist View Post
    The words for white, black, green, yellow and red are from Aramaic. I reckon that orange, purple and pink are from, as you surmised, an Indo-Iranian language or Arabic.

Not sure where blue comes from. The word for "ink" in Greek, meláni, made its way into Christian Palestinian Aramaic as "myln," and derived from that was a term attested in Galilean Aramaic, "mylny," meaning "black." Perhaps there was a similar evolution for "mila"?
    You use the same words in Urmian or Hakkari? Also I forgot grey - rasasi and brown - qahwayi
    Last edited by Helves; 04-30-2018 at 04:11 AM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Noahche (Chechen)
    Y-DNA
    J1-CTS1460

European Union
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanist View Post
    From all of the words I have come across, I believe this is the only instance where an Akkadian intermediary is not apparent between Sumerian and Semitic. Or, at least Sumerian and Aramaic. Whether they are related, of course, I do not know.

SUMERIAN
    šir [SING] (150x: ED IIIb, Ur III, Old Babylonian) wr. šir3 "a song; to sing" Akk. zamāru *

LEVANTINE ARAMAIC (JLAtg, Gal, PTA, CPA, LJLA)
    šyr, šyrˀ n.m. song

HEBREW (JLAtg, Gal, PTA, CPA, LJLA)
    Hebrew: שיר (he) m (shír) music with words

On a related note:
    Interesting. In Chechen yiš is a song, éšarš - songs (in archaic Chechen - aširaš)
    Last edited by Tag Heuer; 05-15-2018 at 04:26 PM.

Banned
    Ethnicity
    NorthWestern Asian
    Y-DNA
    proto-R1a*
    mtDNA
    Ubaidian HV1b2

Rojavaya Kurdistane Uruguay
    I still don't understand the division os Assyrian languages. Can somebody make a scheme or a tree chart for illustration?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian
    Y-DNA
    R2a2
    mtDNA
    T1

You use the same words in Urmian or Hakkari? Also I forgot grey - rasasi and brown - qahwayi
    "Rass-sasi" and "qahwa'i" are Arabic, and technically speaking these are not the official Arabic words for these two colors. Brown would be "buun-ni" and gray is "ramadi". Rass-sasi means lead and qahwa'i I think comes from coffee.

As for the Assyrian words for these? No idea.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tomasso29 For This Useful Post:

Helves (05-16-2018), ms85 (05-16-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian
    Y-DNA
    G1a
    mtDNA
    I5b1

"Rass-sasi" and "qahwa'i" are Arabic, and technically speaking these are not the official Arabic words for these two colors. Brown would be "buun-ni" and gray is "ramadi". Rass-sasi means lead and qahwa'i I think comes from coffee.

As for the Assyrian words for these? No idea.
    I was more thinking of what are the names of the common colors in your dialect? Or maybe you speak standard Iraqi Koine? I've noticed some Assyrians say "qeena" for green as an example

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian
    Y-DNA
    R2a2
    mtDNA
    T1

I was more thinking of what are the names of the common colors in your dialect? Or maybe you speak standard Iraqi Koine? I've noticed some Assyrians say "qeena" for green as an example
    My dad's dialect is Iraqi-Koine (They're Nochiya Assyrians), and my mom's dialect is the one spoken in the Nineveh plains (Alqosh). Here's what they say for colors (Dad's on the left and mom's on the right):

Green: Qeena - Yarooqa
    Red - Smooqa - Smoqa
    Blue - Mila - Zarqa (Though Mila is used sometimes)
    Yellow - Zarda (Iranian) - Sha'ootha
    Purple - Banafsagi for both (Arabic)
    Orange - Portoqali for both (Arabic)
    Pink - Wardi for both (Arabic)
    Black - Kooma - Koma
    White - Khwara for both.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tomasso29 For This Useful Post:

Helves (05-16-2018), ms85 (05-16-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian
    Y-DNA
    G1a
    mtDNA
    I5b1

My dad's dialect is Iraqi-Koine (They're Nochiya Assyrians), and my mom's dialect is the one spoken in the Nineveh plains (Alqosh). Here's what they say for colors (Dad's on the left and mom's on the right):

Green: Qeena - Yarooqa
    Red - Smooqa - Smoqa
    Blue - Mila - Zarqa (Though Mila is used sometimes)
    Yellow - Zarda (Iranian) - Sha'ootha
    Purple - Banafsagi for both (Arabic)
    Orange - Portoqali for both (Arabic)
    Pink - Wardi for both (Arabic)
    Black - Kooma - Koma
    White - Khwara for both.
    Thanks! My parents are from Ankawa btw, which is quite similar to Alqosh but I often find similarities to Nochiya Assyrians, especially those from Northeastern Iraq. We have very few guttural [ħ] sounds(basically only loanwords), unlike most dialects around Mosul.
    Maybe you've seen this site before, but Cambridge got most of our dialects(North Eastern Aramaic that is) recorded, from many villages. I don't have a lot of contact with Assyrians apart from other Ankawaye so these audio files are like extremely interesting to me. I'm surprised by how well I can understand Ashetnaye and even certain Urmian speakers(like the one from Darband).

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Helves For This Useful Post:

ms85 (05-16-2018), Tomasso29 (05-16-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian
    Y-DNA
    R2a2
    mtDNA
    T1

Thanks! My parents are from Ankawa btw, which is quite similar to Alqosh but I often find similarities to Nochiya Assyrians, especially those from Northeastern Iraq. We have very few guttural [ħ] sounds(basically only loanwords), unlike most dialects around Mosul.
    Maybe you've seen this site before, but Cambridge got most of our dialects(North Eastern Aramaic that is) recorded, from many villages. I don't have a lot of contact with Assyrians apart from other Ankawaye so these audio files are like extremely interesting to me. I'm surprised by how well I can understand Ashetnaye and even certain Urmian speakers(like the one from Darband).
    Interesting link, I've seen a similar site with more dialects. The thing is a lot of these that are labeled as SE Turkey, but they are being spoken by Assyrians from Iraq or Syria, so they're not exactly like the ancestral dialects.

My dad's family is a mix of Gargarnaye, Darband, Diyana, and Halana in that link.

Page 43 of 47 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast