Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R Z253 (L 1066+)
    mtDNA
    V8

United States of America United Kingdom

Any V8's out there?

My MtDNA results are back and I am V8. Anyone else out there? My mom was born in Scotland in 1895 and her mom was from Ireland.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mcg11 For This Useful Post:

Humanist (07-11-2014)

Administrator
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    G-V2154
    mtDNA
    HV4a2a

Quote Originally Posted by mcg11 View Post
    My MtDNA results are back and I am V8. Anyone else out there? My mom was born in Scotland in 1895 and her mom was from Ireland.
    I did a search on Ian Logan's GenBank page for V8. It appears that many of the V8 samples that are listed there are of Finnish origin. I did not check the origin of the three Behar samples.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Humanist For This Useful Post:

mcg11 (07-12-2014)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    native briton
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R Z253 (L 1066+)
    mtDNA
    V8

Thanks Humanist. It looks like my Moms matrilineal ancestor must have been Finn! She has many of the same mutations as the Soini and Moilanen's have in the table you referenced. Her mothers maiden name was Mains and she was born in Ireland. Note: My mom was born in Scotland. What is different is that I Have a Heteroplasmy at T16298Y and T16298C is missing?

edit: what makes this result "unusual" to me is that my wife is 100% Finn. All four of her grandparents were born in Finland!
    Last edited by mcg11; 07-12-2014 at 03:27 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mcg11 For This Useful Post:

Humanist (07-12-2014)

Administrator
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    G-V2154
    mtDNA
    HV4a2a

Thanks Humanist. It looks like my Moms matrilineal ancestor must have been Finn! She has many of the same mutations as the Soini and Moilanen's have in the table you referenced. Her mothers maiden name was Mains and she was born in Ireland. Note: My mom was born in Scotland. What is different is that I Have a Heteroplasmy at T16298Y and T16298C is missing?
    I did a search for Finns in Scotland and I came across this old bit. I wonder if there is a possible connection?

Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, Volume 24

edit: what makes this result "unusual" to me is that my wife is 100% Finn. All four of her grandparents were born in Finland!
    That is neat.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Humanist For This Useful Post:

mcg11 (07-14-2014)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    native briton
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R Z253 (L 1066+)
    mtDNA
    V8

I had trouble finding vol.24. But thanks for your input. It now turns out that my Scottish mother (at least born in Scotland) and my wifes finnish grandmother may be related! For a Finn, she had a funny middle name; "Bridget", which sounds Irish? It's a funny world out there; thanks so much for your help.