Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-Z279(xM153)
    mtDNA (M)
    L2a1a3c

United States of America Spain Basque Galicia Portugal Cuba

Help solving family mystery!

The vast majority of the 3.6% East Asian and Native American I carry on my DNA was inherited directly from my Paternal Grandmother. I have 3.4% Native American and 0.2% Broadly East Asian & Native American, I inherited 3.2 of my East Asian & Native American from my dad, and 3.0% of my Native American. My dad in turn inherited 3.6 of his East Asian and Native American from my grandmother, out of which 3.3 was Native American, <0.1% was East Asian, and 0.2% Broadly East Asian & Native American. My grandmother was 5.2% East Asian and Native American on 23andme, out of which 4.5% is Native American, and 0.7% is Broadly East Asian & Native American. This is a clear example DNA recombination and selection causing certain regions of the DNA to get passed down generations almost intact. Ideally using the 50% rule, I should have gotten only 25% of my grandmother's Native American or 1.125%, instead I inherited 3.0% of my Native American directly from her. This is what her chromosome painting looks like with the Native American segments highlighted:

Grandma Native.jpg

Here is a picture of my Chromosome Painting with the Native American segments highlighted:

Me-Native.jpg

As you can see a lot of my Native American segments come directly from my paternal grandmother. Before my grandmother took a DNA test, I knew that Genealogically 7/16 Great-Great grandparents were born in the Canary Islands, so I expected some North African, and a small percentage of Sub-Saharan African based on the results of other Canary Islanders, she did get 2.6% North African and Middle Eastern out of which 2.2% is North African, and 1.6% Sub-Saharan African, all West African. Dr.McDonald gave her the following fit with no SSA instead:

Most likely fit is 80.4% (+- 3.1%) Europe (all Western Europe)

and 3.9% (+- 0.5%) America (various subcontinents)

and 15.7% (+- 3.5%) Mideast (all North Africa)

What was a surprise was the “big” (relatively speaking) amount of Native American. Why was it a surprise, because logically speaking using the doubling rule, this would translate into one of her great-great grandparents being roughly almost fully (83.2%=5.2%/6.25%) Native American, yet given that these segments got passed down to me almost intact, I wonder if one could use the doubling rule. Given that her maternal grandmother was born to parents from the Canary Islands(Santa Cruz de Tenerife), and her mt-DNA is H1e1a, she is not likely to be the source of the Native American. Her Paternal Grandmother was born to a Canary Islander mother from Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, and a father of Canary Islander/Cuban/Spanish Floridian descent. Her Maternal grandfather had his maternal grandfather born in the Canary Islands too, the other were Spanish Floridian/Cuban descent. So she has 9 great-grandparents that could have potentially given the Native American to her, yet all of them are listed as being “White” on the Census, and Church Baptismal records. While looks could be deceiving, no one in her family looks Native American, and some of them had a very “isleño”, that is southern Mediterranean with some North African influence. Other’s look plainly Spanish, I have pictures of her grandmothers and her parents if you guys want to see them. Anyhow, assuming that the small percentages came equally from the 9 great-great grandparents, then how far back is the Native American ancestor really? Any suggestions, would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by jeanL; 07-10-2014 at 06:14 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeanL For This Useful Post:

rms2 (08-14-2014),  Tomenable (08-23-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-Z2961>ZZ30>ZP106
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a4a1c1

United States of America United States Tree Flag Bermuda United Kingdom France Italy
    Dear Jean,
    read you interesting post. My great-great grandmother was supposed to have been 1/2 to a full native american. Thus at least my great-gma 25%, my gdad 12%, my mom 6%, and I should show a trace. My FTDNA test showed none. My mom's test showed none. A picture of my great-great gma is in my album Mom's pictures. Check it out. How'd we lose our aDNA signatures. GEDMATCH (Eurogenes K13) kicks out maybe 1% Siberian for her, and maybe .25% Amerindian. When I run it on my kit, I come out .69% Siberian, 1.23% Amerindian. I don't know if these percentages are high enough to indicate ANY Native American ancestry but in any case there << 6%.
    PS: on World9 I get 1.06% Amerindian, but my mom only gets 0.12%. Have you used GEDMATCH, and if so what's a valid minimum threshold to ascertain an ethnicity?
    Thanks,
    dp :-)

Quote Originally Posted by jeanL View Post
    The vast majority of the 3.6% East Asian and Native American I carry on my DNA was inherited directly from my Paternal Grandmother. I have 3.4% Native American and 0.2% Broadly East Asian & Native American, I inherited 3.2 of my East Asian & Native American from my dad, and 3.0% of my Native American. My dad in turn inherited 3.6 of his East Asian and Native American from my grandmother, out of which 3.3 was Native American, <0.1% was East Asian, and 0.2% Broadly East Asian & Native American. My grandmother was 5.2% East Asian and Native American on 23andme, out of which 4.5% is Native American, and 0.7% is Broadly East Asian & Native American. This is a clear example DNA recombination and selection causing certain regions of the DNA to get passed down generations almost intact. Ideally using the 50% rule, I should have gotten only 25% of my grandmother's Native American or 1.125%, instead I inherited 3.0% of my Native American directly from her. This is what her chromosome painting looks like with the Native American segments highlighted:

Grandma Native.jpg

Here is a picture of my Chromosome Painting with the Native American segments highlighted:

Me-Native.jpg

As you can see a lot of my Native American segments come directly from my paternal grandmother. Before my grandmother took a DNA test, I knew that Genealogically 7/16 Great-Great grandparents were born in the Canary Islands, so I expected some North African, and a small percentage of Sub-Saharan African based on the results of other Canary Islanders, she did get 2.6% North African and Middle Eastern out of which 2.2% is North African, and 1.6% Sub-Saharan African, all West African. Dr.McDonald gave her the following fit with no SSA instead:

Most likely fit is 80.4% (+- 3.1%) Europe (all Western Europe)

and 3.9% (+- 0.5%) America (various subcontinents)

and 15.7% (+- 3.5%) Mideast (all North Africa)

What was a surprise was the “big” (relatively speaking) amount of Native American. Why was it a surprise, because logically speaking using the doubling rule, this would translate into one of her great-great grandparents being roughly almost fully (83.2%=5.2%/6.25%) Native American, yet given that these segments got passed down to me almost intact, I wonder if one could use the doubling rule. Given that her maternal grandmother was born to parents from the Canary Islands(Santa Cruz de Tenerife), and her mt-DNA is H1e1a, she is not likely to be the source of the Native American. Her Paternal Grandmother was born to a Canary Islander mother from Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, and a father of Canary Islander/Cuban/Spanish Floridian descent. Her Maternal grandfather had his maternal grandfather born in the Canary Islands too, the other were Spanish Floridian/Cuban descent. So she has 9 great-grandparents that could have potentially given the Native American to her, yet all of them are listed as being “White” on the Census, and Church Baptismal records. While looks could be deceiving, no one in her family looks Native American, and some of them had a very “isleño”, that is southern Mediterranean with some North African influence. Other’s look plainly Spanish, I have pictures of her grandmothers and her parents if you guys want to see them. Anyhow, assuming that the small percentages came equally from the 9 great-great grandparents, then how far back is the Native American ancestor really? Any suggestions, would be greatly appreciated!
    Grace and good eure and long prosperitee. [Lydg. Mum. Goldsmiths]

ysearch/mitosearch id: atr94 GENBANK/ENA mtDNA id: KF703542 member ISOGG

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dp For This Useful Post:

jeanL (08-13-2014),  rms2 (08-14-2014)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Iberian+Canary Islander
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-Z279(xM153)
    mtDNA (M)
    L2a1a3c

United States of America Spain Basque Galicia Portugal Cuba
    Quote Originally Posted by David Powell View Post
    Dear Jean,
    read you interesting post. My great-great grandmother was supposed to have been 1/2 to a full native american. Thus at least my great-gma 25%, my gdad 12%, my mom 6%, and I should show a trace. My FTDNA test showed none. My mom's test showed none. A picture of my great-great gma is in my album Mom's pictures. Check it out. How'd we lose our aDNA signatures. GEDMATCH (Eurogenes K13) kicks out maybe 1% Siberian for her, and maybe .25% Amerindian. When I run it on my kit, I come out .69% Siberian, 1.23% Amerindian. I don't know if these percentages are high enough to indicate ANY Native American ancestry but in any case there << 6%.
    PS: on World9 I get 1.06% Amerindian, but my mom only gets 0.12%. Have you used GEDMATCH, and if so what's a valid minimum threshold to ascertain an ethnicity?
    Thanks,
    I think people of North American Indian ancestry(Minus Florida Native) and some Canadian Tribes are getting lower than expected Native because of lack of references. I notice one of my friends who tested with 23andme and he came out 99.9% European, mostly German, he is of Pennsylvania German Ancestry, but has family history of Native American, almost all GEDMATCH calculators pick up Native American consistently in his chromosome 11, 14, and some other ones(I forgot), yet 23andme fails to pick up anything. Have you tried emailing Dr.McDonald, he might be able to tell you more details about it.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeanL For This Useful Post:

rms2 (08-14-2014),  Tomenable (08-23-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-Z2961>ZZ30>ZP106
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a4a1c1

United States of America United States Tree Flag Bermuda United Kingdom France Italy
    Dear Jean,
    I've been looking at the dataset populations of the World9 admixture program. I noticed that the Siberian admixture is a feature of Russians, Fins, Swedes, Lithuanians, Ukrainans, Poles, even Hungarians. My admixture seems to center on Germany, but Hungary isn't that far away. IOW I think Siberian came from east Europe, not Native American ancestors.
    Grace and good eure and long prosperitee. [Lydg. Mum. Goldsmiths]

ysearch/mitosearch id: atr94 GENBANK/ENA mtDNA id: KF703542 member ISOGG