Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Do You Know Any Native American (First Nations) People?

Registered Users
    Sex

United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by vintage_sky View Post
    Lol I find this with SOME americans. They're all out to find native American dna. I always wondered and started a massive debate once under the title. Why do so many Americans claim Native American DNA - is it because they want benefits, is it because it makes them feel like the belong in America after the almost complete annihilation of the First People or is it simply because it's trendy and relevant?

Needless to say, I never asked the question again lol
    I'm skeptical as well but honestly, much of the talk is hearsay from a person's family. I'm skeptical of that hearsay, particularly - not so much in whether that person is telling the truth. I think many actually believe it to be the truth. Based on what few studies and stats I've seen regarding the subject, most Americans have slim to nil detectible Amerindian. There's a chance that, in many cases, Amerindian admixture could've been "bred out" - so to speak, so I'm always on the fence about what I believe when I'm told a person has NA ancestry.

One interesting example in regards to Black Americans with NA ancestry, is that sometimes people say certain lighter skinned ancestors were Native American or partly so. In most cases, I believe the person is primarily or mostly Afro/Euro as they look that way. I think Amerindian ancestry is welcomed to many black and white Americans' family line whereas there's a stigma associated with African ancestry in White Americans or European ancestry in Black Americans besides more obvious, recent admixture. History influences the perception, surely.
    Defeat is a state of mind; no one is ever defeated until defeat has been accepted as a reality. ~ Bruce Lee

Registered Users
    Sex
    Los Angeles, California; Grand River, Ontario
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    R1b>U152>L2>L20
    mtDNA
    K1b2b

Canada California Republic United Kingdom Germany
    When in Canada I reside in my home on the Grand River where my ancestors have resided since 1783 (an ancestor, an officer in the Six Nations Indian Department, was sent there to help regulate the new Delaware settlements there . A mile away from me today is the consolidated Six Nations Reserve - with 23,000 residents. Look up "Caledonia" and "land claim" and you will soon realize why it is challenging to be so close to this community (frequent road blockades for this or that cause - in the past lack of police willing to serve and protect - better now). All residents at SN are admixed - both in terms of tribe / band, and in terms of ancestry. Many are biologically more European than SN but with a "status card" you are an Indian however loose your affiliation to the community. Many or most of us in the area have well known (to them and us) connections to the Rez, and many of us are well versed in the culture (alas only 1% are fluent in any Six Nations language - I know a few words, mostly nouns). I totally identify as an English Canadian, but I have written a book on how to trace Six Nations ancestry, and other published works - but having a few ancestors who were Indian or African generations ago is nothing more than "interesting".

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to falconson1 For This Useful Post:

Grossvater (02-01-2018), MonkeyDLuffy (01-04-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex

yes, few

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    French Canadian
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    R-M269 cousin test
    mtDNA
    H3a

Canada Acadia Canada Quebec Franco-Ontarian Wallonia Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by falconson1 View Post
    When in Canada I reside in my home on the Grand River where my ancestors have resided since 1783 (an ancestor, an officer in the Six Nations Indian Department, was sent there to help regulate the new Delaware settlements there . A mile away from me today is the consolidated Six Nations Reserve - with 23,000 residents. Look up "Caledonia" and "land claim" and you will soon realize why it is challenging to be so close to this community (frequent road blockades for this or that cause - in the past lack of police willing to serve and protect - better now). All residents at SN are admixed - both in terms of tribe / band, and in terms of ancestry. Many are biologically more European than SN but with a "status card" you are an Indian however loose your affiliation to the community. Many or most of us in the area have well known (to them and us) connections to the Rez, and many of us are well versed in the culture (alas only 1% are fluent in any Six Nations language - I know a few words, mostly nouns). I totally identify as an English Canadian, but I have written a book on how to trace Six Nations ancestry, and other published works - but having a few ancestors who were Indian or African generations ago is nothing more than "interesting".
    Indeed, but a few years back, a distant cousin who does a lot of genealogy saw an obituary for someone with our family name in North West Ontario and wondered if they were related. A quick search of name and location brought me to a website where I could see Jean Baptiste MYNAME first generation Ojibway married to a Madeline OTHERFRENCHSURNAME, and a whole lot of descendants. His occupation was fur trader early 1800’s. I have since discovered that it is most likely the same individual who had another First Nation wife in Quebec. He seemed to have a summer and a winter family...
    The Ontario descendants were very much mixed in the Native community and are likely to have status. We have no picture of the individual, but was likely blond with blue eyes, as is the case for a large proportion of the males in the family (weird really). A yDNA test would most likely confirm R-M269.
    I do have a whif of First Nation DNA, 0,2% according to 23andMe - her name was Euphrosine Madeleine Nicolet, her mother Nippissing nation, born around 1630 and father explorer Jean Nicolet. As you say “just interesting”. Of course I only found out after I had done the DNA test. I look at First Nation people differently now. I have thoughts for this orphaned girl who was pulled out of her community to become part of her father’s, married twice and had many children. She is my native grandmother at the 10th generation!
    K13 : 55.7% North_Dutch + 44.3% Spanish_Andalucia @ 1,7
    K15 : 79.6% Orcadian + 20.4% Sardinian @ 3,27
    Of course one population is French... @ 4,09 and 5,38 for K13 and K15.
    Y-DNA of ancestors include R-M269, J-M67 (from 23andMe genocousins -12 lines to this ancestor),
    J-CTS1192 and E-L117 (from French Heritage DNA Project at FT-DNA)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    J-YP879
    mtDNA
    U5b2c2

Canada Italy Finland Northern Ireland
    Yes I know quite a few.
    Y-DNA: J-YP879

mtDNA: U5b2c2

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    J-YP879
    mtDNA
    U5b2c2

Canada Italy Finland Northern Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeWhalen View Post
    Living in Northern Ontario, I know many 'full blooded' or as we say, 'status' (meaning they pass gov criteria demonstrating Native origin re: benefits, treaty rights) natives...they are friends, co workers and inmates

working in corrections, we have to go through some mandatory sensitivity and orientation training in working with native offenders when first hired as the native population in prison is much higher than the 'outside' population

In my neck of the woods (ha, literally), it is mostly the Ojibwa tribe (or Chippewa in the States), with some Cree and some a mixture called 'Ojicree". We also have a moderately large number of Metis, which is recognized as a distinct people of Native/French/European heritage, starting in the 1500's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A9tis_people_(Canada) .

A good buddy of mine that I worked with for many years was a Mohawk from the Akwesasne reserve near Cornwall in southern Ontario. He was big into the 'drumming' and his crew won several competitions

Some of my friends and co workers are very much into the Native traditions (4 seasons, sweet grass ceremonies, pow wows) and spirituality, others indistinguishable from 'mainstream' Canadians. It really seems to be due to personal choice and where they grew up (most reserves in Canada have major negative issues of poverty, substance abuse and corruption)

My cousin has a cottage just outside my hometown on the shores of Lake Superior. The American side is a 5 minute boat ride away as its just where the St Mary's river opened up into the big Lake (and 10 miles from where the Edmund Fitzgerald sank). There is a small Island that you can walk out to from his camp (and us kids always went out there during the summer) and it was the staging area for the following incident ...
    "The St. Marys River was an ideal trade route and gateway to the northern waterways. The Ojibwa and Iroquois Indians fought battles over its use. In 1663 about 2,000 Ojibwa warriors launched a surprise attack on the encamped Iroquois, near the present day Michigan Iroquios Point, at the mouth of the St. Marys River. The Iroquois were defeated, reducing their power and allowing the Ojibwa to remain. Today, archeologists are finding arrowheads and other artifacts used in such battles.

After every big storm, my cousin goes out to that Island and still finds stone knives, spear points and arrow points from that, and other battles between the rival tribes..he has a very cool collection

Miigwech
    (the only native phrase I actually know and use on occasion...means 'Thank You')

Mike
    Yup living where we live there is almost no way that you would not know any Natives/Aboriginals...I know of a number of Ojibwa phrases but I can't spell any of them lol.
    Y-DNA: J-YP879

mtDNA: U5b2c2

8. The Following User Says Thank You to J Man For This Useful Post:

MikeWhalen (02-06-2018)

My neighbor. Mi'kmaq

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF27 FGC17112
    mtDNA
    H5a1

Lots! Spent many years on the Fort Berthold Indian Reservation. My daughter's mother is half Laotian. The other half is Arikara, Chippewa, and supposedly some French and Mexican. I am probably closer to my native family than any of my blood family down here. Even ten years later, we all stay in touch.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chad Rohlfsen For This Useful Post:

Helgenes50 (02-18-2018), Varun R (02-18-2018)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345