Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Do You Know Any Native American (First Nations) People?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly Finnish
    Nationality
    USA! USA! USA!
    Y-DNA
    N-M46
    mtDNA
    N1a

United States of America Finland Sami United Kingdom Ireland Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by xKeleix View Post
    I'm skeptical as well but honestly, much of the talk is hearsay from a person's family. I'm skeptical of that hearsay, particularly - not so much in whether that person is telling the truth. I think many actually believe it to be the truth.
    This is true. There was a longtime family story on my mom's side that my great-great-great-grandmother was a full-blooded Cherokee. And my grandfather looks like he could be-- if she was 100%, that would have made him approximately 1/8. He actually met her once when he was young and his parents and siblings made a trip to visit her.

However the more I dug into it, it seemed highly unlikely since she was born near the Kentucky-Tennessee border in 1859-- 20 years after the Trail of Tears. Most histories say that the Native populations of Kentucky were forced out or killed by the early 1800s. Additionally after some digging I was able to find her father's name and he was most definitely not Native. Her mother may have been: I can find little to no information on her. However nothing indicating Native American ancestry has come up in my DNA test. So I would assume my family legend to be just that-- a legend.

It would be cool if it's true, but I'm pretty skeptical. And it's not like I'd feel that I'm owed anything for it or somehow "more American" than anyone else. Would just be a cool tidbit and if it's not true, it's not true. I'm not losing any sleep over it; I'd rather have an accurate portrayal of my background than to be desperate to hold onto some story that ultimately has no truth to it.

To answer the initial question, I work with two sisters who have some Native background (never asked specifically what), and have known a few others with a degree of it. And I'm sure my dad knew some growing up-- he was from Michigan's Upper Peninsula and there were a lot of people there who called themselves "Finndian"-- having one Finnish parent and one Chippewa parent.

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Métis
    mtDNA
    x2

Myself (Métis - Ojibwa, Seneca, Cree), relatives, friends, a number of elders and went to school with a tribal chief.
    Last edited by Rolling; 03-19-2018 at 01:03 AM.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rolling For This Useful Post:

Chad Rohlfsen (03-30-2018),  lukaszM (03-18-2018),  MikeWhalen (03-18-2018),  Pappy (03-18-2018)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Menzacan
    Nationality
    American

California Republic

Sex
    Omitted

I live in London and I know a Native American person who lives there.
    Coincidentally I found Native American in my admixture on my Ancestry DNA test. I still haven't traced how yet. My ancestry on paper is almost all European.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to elethe For This Useful Post:

MikeWhalen (06-26-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF27 FGC17112
    mtDNA
    H5a1

Quote Originally Posted by Rolling View Post
    Myself (Métis - Ojibwa, Seneca, Cree), relatives, friends, a number of elders and went to school with a tribal chief.
    Nice! My daughter has some Ojibwa. Most of her native is Arikara though.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chad Rohlfsen For This Useful Post:

MikeWhalen (03-30-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Somali

Somalia
    I know a few, cool people

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North Sea/Mar Ionio
    Nationality
    American

England Germany Italy Scotland
    I've met a few that were quite mixed in the Algonquian group, but I know some that are Sioux and are fairly pure, though it is rumored that some had an Irish great grandfather.... you couldn't tell by looking at them.

Sex
    Ethnicity
    European American

Austria Germany Schleswig-Holstein Slovakia Poland England France
    My mother was close to a Native American woman when she was younger. I'll have to ask what tribe she was part of.

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by falconson1 View Post
    When in Canada I reside in my home on the Grand River where my ancestors have resided since 1783 (an ancestor, an officer in the Six Nations Indian Department, was sent there to help regulate the new Delaware settlements there . A mile away from me today is the consolidated Six Nations Reserve - with 23,000 residents. Look up "Caledonia" and "land claim" and you will soon realize why it is challenging to be so close to this community (frequent road blockades for this or that cause - in the past lack of police willing to serve and protect - better now). All residents at SN are admixed - both in terms of tribe / band, and in terms of ancestry. Many are biologically more European than SN but with a "status card" you are an Indian however loose your affiliation to the community. Many or most of us in the area have well known (to them and us) connections to the Rez, and many of us are well versed in the culture (alas only 1% are fluent in any Six Nations language - I know a few words, mostly nouns). I totally identify as an English Canadian, but I have written a book on how to trace Six Nations ancestry, and other published works - but having a few ancestors who were Indian or African generations ago is nothing more than "interesting".
    I mean no offense but this is a predominantly Anglophone area & it's interesting you seem to convey that there was little more than frustration, even resentment, towards the natives for these road blocks, etc. In a way sort of similar to the Anglophones who took the larger part in the Burnt Church Crisis.

I just sort of find it funny in a way. So many Anglophones/British-descendants throughout the Americas dream of Indian princesses in the family tree despite how the average Anglophone doesn't have anywhere near the interwoven history as the average Francophone does with natives. The word Métis, for example, is French & has similar meaning to Métis of France - someone of "extra" ancestry; while the 1800s Red River Colony Métis & their descendants are themselves just the descendants of the original 1600-1700s Métis (French/Aboriginals) who mixed with the local British/Anglophones.

The different mentality and behavior of Quebecois during the Oka Crisis, local French-Canadians sneaking natives off the reserve to avoid police & military, is a rather good indication of that shared history and one could say respect.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly Irish/English
    Nationality
    English
    Y-DNA
    Possibly R1b
    mtDNA
    H1a3a1

England North of England Ireland Scotland Romani India Star of David
    I used to know someone who was 1/4 Native American, despite growing up in the tribe and having a general interest in pan-Indianism he considered himself Irish-American.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast