Ethnicity
    Mixed Euro/Near East
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    R1a-YP4516/YP4807*
    mtDNA
    H11a2a3

Canada Franco-Manitoban European Union Ottoman Empire Russia Imperial United States Grand Union
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Hi Grossvater,

I don't think they gave Exposito as a last name to the "illegitimate" children in Yucatan, but they did make a note of it (that they were exposito/without a known mother or father) when they recorded the child's baptismal record. From what we have read, the surname Exposito was given to illegitimate children in other parts of Latin America. You are probably right about the de La Cruz. The priests were good at giving those "holy" sounding name to the native children that they baptized.
    I wonder, if it does occur as a surname, if it's at least sometimes derived from the Italian Esposito (most famous in my neck of the woods because of him).

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Other ancestral Y lines:

E1b-M81 Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    E1b-V13 England
    I1-M253 Ireland
    I2-M423 Ukraine
    R1a-L176.1 Scotland
    R1b-L584 Syria/Turkey (Sephardi)
    R1b-L20 Ireland
    R1b-L21 (1)England; (2)Wales?>Connecticut
    R1b-L48 England
    R1b-P312 Scotland
    R1b-FGC32576 Ireland

Other ancestral mtDNA lines:

H1b2a Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    H6a1a3 Ukraine
    K1a9 Belarus (Ashkenazi)
    K1c2 Ireland
    V7a Ukraine

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AJL For This Useful Post:

Wolfie (08-06-2014)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA
    H3

Scotland Spain
    From Wikpedia "Spanish Naming Customs:"

Anonymous foundlings were a naming problem for civil registrars, but such anonymous children were often named toponymically, after the town where they were found. Because most foundlings were reared in church orphanages, they were often given the surnames Iglesia or Iglesias (church[es]) and Cruz (cross). Blanco (connoting "blank" here, rather than the more usual "white") was another option. A toponymical first surname might be followed as second surname by Iglesia or Cruz.

Foundlings often were surnamed Expósito (Lat. exposĭtus, "exposed", connoting "foundling"), which marked them, and their descendants, as of low caste and social class, people without social pedigree.[citation needed] In the Catalan language the surname Deulofeu ("made by God") was often given to foundlings. In 1921 Spanish law allowed the surname Expósito to be changed without charge.[14]

In Aragón, anonymous children used to receive as well the family surname Gracia (Grace) or de Gracia, because they were thought to survive by the Grace of God.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Wolfie For This Useful Post:

Grossvater (08-07-2014)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z2961>ZZ30>ZP106
    mtDNA
    K1a4a1c1

United States of America United States Tree Flag Bermuda United Kingdom France Italy
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    There is an “ancient” Maya in my house. Well, not really ancient. My husband was born in Merida, Yucatan. He knew that his paternal great-grandmother was Maya. His grandfather spoke Mayan fluently. However, as far as he knew, before he began searching baptismal records, the rest of his family was Spanish.
    I have encouraged him to take a DNA test. He might be a little reluctant now after learning about my own discovery, that I am a hijo natural. i
    Christmas is coming within 2 months
    dp :-)
    Grace and good eure and long prosperitee. [Lydg. Mum. Goldsmiths]

ysearch/mitosearch id: atr94 GENBANK/ENA mtDNA id: KF703542 member ISOGG

Y-DNA
    R-L21
    mtDNA
    I4

Many times also “mestizos” may be labled “español” if they had gained status. Many times, the same person could be listed as “mestizo” in one record or document but “español” in another.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12