Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Allegedly Native American C5c1a

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by procoptodon View Post
    C5b is not listed as a siberian haplogroup

/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0015214

Could be some old central asian haplogroup but I doubt its native. Very interesting result though
    The study that you used is by Denenko et al. and it is just one of the studies that Ian Logan used for the page on C5 at http://www.ianlogan.co.uk/sequences_..._sequences.htm

The other studies are Dryomov, Duggan, Hartmann, Herrnstadt, Ingman_gyll, Kivisild, Liu Schoenberg, Sharma, Starikovskaya, Tanaka, and Volodko

Links to a lot of those studies can be found in the Phylotree list of publications at http://www.phylotree.org/mtDNA_seqs.htm

Even with those other studies C5 is not found in a single person with Native American ancestry in the direct maternal line. Since the person that allegedly had Native American C5c1a has changed their story then the title of the thread should be changed and the initial post should have an update in it about the story being changed.

Sex

Quote Originally Posted by lgmayka View Post
    The family stories posted on the Geno 2.0 web site (probably visible only to logged-in customers) often raise more questions than they answer. For example:

C5c1a is a Eurasian subclade, found from Germany to Uzbekistan. This subclade has 4 Geno stories. Three of them describe Central European ancestry (German, Hungarian, and Polish), but the fourth suggests a Native American lineage:
    ---
    C5c1a apache101786 My mothers mother was from New Mexico. She was adopted but we were told she had some Spanish and Apache. I traced her back on ancestry.com and found out her great grandmother had a Spanish name, that was 1800's New Mexico.
    ---

Since the maternal grandmother is adopted, nothing is certain in this case. Nevertheless, it is very intriguing. It is easy to picture an Apache woman 100 years ago pretending to be Central European, in order to place her daughter for adoption more easily. The reverse--a Central European woman pretending to be Apache--is much harder to imagine.
    So I am the person you are quoting in your post. I was Googling my haplogroup to see if any new information has come out and found this post in this forum. Just to clarify, my maternal grandmother was from New Mexico and was adopted. I have done extensive research on her biological parents. Her father was New Mexican and he is who she gets her Native American from. Her mother was an Anglo settler to New Mexico. So my C5c1a haplogroup has nothing to do with my Native ancestry.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to apache101786 For This Useful Post:

lgmayka (09-08-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by apache101786 View Post
    So my C5c1a haplogroup has nothing to do with my Native ancestry.
    Interestingly, YFull shows only Polish members of C5c1a. But of course, that sample is limited to YFull customers, and only those who have specified a country of matrilineal ancestry.

Ian Logan's C5c page shows, in addition to the Polish C5c1a, an entry from Germany and one from Uzbekistan.
    Last edited by lgmayka; 09-08-2019 at 12:25 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lgmayka For This Useful Post:

apache101786 (09-08-2019)

Sex

I have read that C5c1a has mostly Polish origins. I am still working on my maternal line. It dead ends in the southeastern U.S. back in the early 1800s. It has been very hard to find records because they are all based around the male head of household.

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by apache101786 View Post
    So I am the person you are quoting in your post. I was Googling my haplogroup to see if any new information has come out and found this post in this forum. Just to clarify, my maternal grandmother was from New Mexico and was adopted. I have done extensive research on her biological parents. Her father was New Mexican and he is who she gets her Native American from. Her mother was an Anglo settler to New Mexico. So my C5c1a haplogroup has nothing to do with my Native ancestry.
    It was apparent, as you can see from my previous posts here and here, that your direct maternal line was not of Native American ancestry and why I had posted that the title of the thread should have been changed. It's really frustrating when context and abundant clues aren't used to determine when certain stated situations are misworded and therefore should not be taken literally.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123