Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Have You Ever Smoked?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Puerto Rico Cuba
    Never. Mother would have evicted me.

Sex

Smoking is highly injurious to health as it contains carcinogen in it. This carcinogen when taken in by humans, can alter the gene, responsible for cell growth. These altered genes will result in drastic multiplication of cells that result in cancer. The most common type of cancer caused by smoking is lung cancer. so smoking habits should be discouraged.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Turk
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z17695
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a19

Lazistan Byzantine Empire Great Seljuk Empire Ottoman Empire 2 Turkey Azerbaijan
    I'm 32 and I smoke 5-6 cigars a day.

I run 10 km three times a week in less than an hour. Smoking apparently has no effect on my health/breathing. I'm aware of long-term effect though. I will quit smoking before it's too late.
    Terminal SNPs: FGC31931/V2381 PF6576 PF7562 PH1631/V2850

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to icebreaker For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (12-17-2019),  JonikW (02-12-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Ethnicity
    Acadian
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-S1954
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c
    Y-DNA (M)
    J-P58
    mtDNA (P)
    H4a

Canada Acadia Canada Newfoundland and Labrador Basque Canada Quebec United States Zuni Pueblo
    I quit smoking 7 years ago

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Souriquois For This Useful Post:

LePrieur (02-04-2020),  MikeWhalen (12-18-2019)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Dinaric
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-Y7627
    mtDNA (M)
    H5c

Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Been smoking since 15. Wish I never started because I can't quit. I mean I could probably quit if I really wanted to but I never really wanted to bad enough.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oz For This Useful Post:

JMcB (02-12-2020),  JonikW (02-12-2020),  LePrieur (02-04-2020)

Sex
    Nationality
    American

United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Ibis View Post
    Just curious. Does anyone here currently smoke? If not, have you ever smoked regularly in the past? If so, how did you quit, and what was your motivation?

I used to smoke socially throughout college, or when I was stressed. I quit cold turkey one day, but I honestly can't say it was due to worries about my own health. It was mostly due to vanity. I didn't want yellowing teeth, wrinkles, and a smoker's voice in the future. These days (I'm 28 years old now), the heaps of health risks cigarettes pose are enough to convince me, but they weren't back then when I was more carefree about everything.

Recently, I've noticed some people who are having trouble quitting are turning to e-cigarettes. After watching people use them for a while now, I'm starting to wonder how they're helpful. One e-cigarette lasts for a long time, and they don't ash out like normal burning cigarettes do, of course, so I'd imagine it's difficult to know how many puffs are the equivalent of 1 cigarette. Perhaps they end up smoking less, because they only take 1 or 2 puffs when they crave nicotine. With a normal burning cigarette, they might feel the urge to finish up the entire cigarette after it's already been lit.
    Never smoked. But If you want to quit, the best method I've found out to work with my clients is cold turkey with some sports and eating goals in mind.
    By having a Ph.D. in Nutrition, Exercise, and Health, I can provide you with all the information you need to improve your eating patterns, workout movements, and overall lifestyle.

Founder @ Heal Flash - healflash.com

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike86PhD For This Useful Post:

JMcB (02-12-2020)

I smoked for several years in college. It seemed to me that this didn't affect my health too much. I also thought that I could easily quit smoking at any moment. I quit smoking when I met my future wife. She helped me distract from cigarettes and offered an alternative - vape. I know that vaping isn't completely safe for health, but it harms my lungs less, and if you use legal e-liquids and vape juices, then it's safe for your health. For example, on this portal vapingdaily.com is a description of legal vape juices. I think that smoking cigarettes is bad and vape is a good alternative in this case.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ramiro For This Useful Post:

aaronbee2010 (02-11-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y20359
    mtDNA (M)
    H1c9a

Never, but may well have enough second hand smoke to kill, as my father - God rest his soul - smoked over two packs a day, unfiltered cigarettes. He died at 64. I bought several stop smoking kits for him, but he was never able to kick the habit until he was unconscious, on his death bed. A very bad habit indeed.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leonardo For This Useful Post:

JMcB (02-12-2020),  MikeWhalen (02-11-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Nationality
    American

United States of America
    I smoked all kinds of different substances for over 20 years.
    Now I have interstitial lung disease.
    Not worth it at all.
    Better off not smoking or vaping anything at all.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:

JMcB (02-12-2020),  leonardo (02-12-2020),  MikeWhalen (02-11-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Nationality
    Pole
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a > M458 > Y23110
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c1

Poland
    Quote Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
    I smoked all kinds of different substances for over 20 years.
    Now I have interstitial lung disease.
    Not worth it at all.
    Better off not smoking or vaping anything at all.
    vaping marry jane was supposed to be safe though.... wasn't it?

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast