Nationality
    American
    mtDNA (M)
    J2b1a4
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z251->S11556

United States of America United Kingdom Scotland Wales France Bretagne

Z251 in Northern Scotland

I have dug a bit further into my paternal line linking my family's paper trail to Caithness and Orkney Scotland. I am curious if any other Z251 positive individuals have paternal links to Caithness,Sutherland or Orkney. Specifically Clan Sinclair.
    Regards,
    Ed Brock 327025

Registered Users
    Sex
    mtDNA (M)
    H3ac
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-Z251+ FGC13899+

No. Off another branch - FGC13899 with a still unknown point of origen.

Sex

My paternal line is Z251. They lived in Perthshire, Scotland, but the earliest known ancestor was born elsewhere, around 1700. His name was John Sinclair and about 20 of that name were born 1690-1715 mainly on the East coast from Midlothian to Orkney.

There is an FTDNA Sinclair Project to which I belong, but as far as I am aware, I am the only one who has tested positively for Z251. The project results suggest that the Sinclair name is held by a fairly diverse range of people in terms of genetics.

Caithness and Orkney is the traditional home of the Clan Sinclair, so I am interested to discover if my line leads me to there. There doesn't seem to be much information at all about Z251, so I am very pleased to have discovered this thread.

Registered Users
    Sex
    mtDNA (M)
    H3ac
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-Z251+ FGC13899+

Peter, do you know any of your downstream SNPs below Z251? You can get an idea of what is below Z251 from the following site that Alex Williamson has set up: http://www.littlescottishcluster.com/RL21/NGS/Tree.html
    The Godwin kit that I manage is not on the list yet but it is under the FGC13899 group and differs from those currently listed. You can find the Z251 group by scrolling toward the extreme right side immediately before the Irish Type III.

Sex
    Ethnicity
    British Isles
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA (M)
    J2b1a4
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z251->S11556

Peter my line of Brocks came to America in 1775 aboard the Marlborough. They sailed out of Kirkwall,Orkney, Scotland but I believe them to be from the Caithness area. They were indentured to Thomas Brown and James Gordon. Things weren't so good so they crossed the Savannah River and slipped up into the Carolinas. Let me know if ever you run across anything else, any mention of Z-251 in the North of Scotland or see any Brocks on the Clan Sinclair project.

Sex
    Ethnicity
    British Isles
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA (M)
    J2b1a4
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z251->S11556

Ken I took a look at the site that Alex Williamson has set up: http://www.littlescottishcluster.com/RL21/NGS/Tree.html . It was very helpful.
    Last edited by edbrock326; 09-08-2014 at 10:16 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to edbrock326 For This Useful Post:

kenmunn (09-09-2014)

Sex

Ed, I'm thinking of testing for S11556. I need to study the options again. Thanks for drawing my attention to the AW site. I need to spend some time on that.

I don't recall seeing your surname on the Sinclair Project site. I'll look out for it next time.

I wish the rate of men testing positive for Z251 would speed up. We need the results!

Sex
    Ethnicity
    British Isles
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA (M)
    J2b1a4
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z251->S11556

I'll send a request to join now

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

The recently posted results for Bleasdale under 11986 on the Z251 branch of the Big Tree seem to closely allign with the results for Brock. Included in the theories for the origins of the Brock surname is a possible reference to the Brock River in Bleasdale, Lancashire, UK. I wonder whether the line of Brocks in Caithness/Orkney are somehow tied to Bleasdale in Lancashire.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to danieldgray For This Useful Post:

cairn (07-27-2015)

Sex

Quote Originally Posted by edbrock326 View Post
    I have dug a bit further into my paternal line linking my family's paper trail to Caithness and Orkney Scotland. I am curious if any other Z251 positive individuals have paternal links to Caithness,Sutherland or Orkney. Specifically Clan Sinclair.
    Regards,
    Ed Brock 327025
    Ed, I am Z251 (in fact Z16944) My paper trail ends in Perthshire in 1723 but autosomal DNA connects me with Sir James Sinclair of Ratter (Caithness). There is another autosomal link with a Sinclair in Orkney. I've just got these results very recently, so I have no idea at this stage how reliable they are. I guess most Sinclairs originated in Caithness.