Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1a1 L664/YP5623
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2b2/G228A

United States of America European Union Norway Austrian Empire United Kingdom Germany Imperial
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyP37 View Post
    I just noticed James Lick, of the MTDNA haplogroup predictor, is listed as one of my GEDmatch matches. Same e-mail listed as the one he uses on his website. I also learned from my Ancestry Tree that I am descended from the female religious reformer Anne Hutchinson. Through her daughter Susanna Hutchinson Cole, who married John Cole and moved to my home state of Rhode Island. Among her descendants is a great-grandson, Revolutionary Captain John Potter; I am descended from him through two of his children.
    A few years ago I erroneously thought my maternal line went back there, and included a line of John Potter going back to England. I spent a lot of time on that branch before I discovered how wrong I was. Well, the branch seems to have been valid. But I wasn't actually connected to it, ha ha.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1a1 L664/YP5623
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2b2/G228A

United States of America European Union Norway Austrian Empire United Kingdom Germany Imperial
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltimore1937 View Post
    I found another, but indirect, connection to Daniel Boone. While I have him as my first cousin six times removed, I am sort of connected to his wife by the same Linville "tribe". His wife, Rebecca Ann Bryan's father's second wife (not her mother) was a Linville. But hey, they were one big presumably happy "family" back then. Just to put it in perspective, that Linville line via a female Hart line leads back to Joane Shakespeare, sister of that Bard of Avon, William Shakespeare. The mayor of my town is also a Linville. But that surname is presumably from her husband.
    I see I am wrong about the Mayor's surname. She herself is a Linville. Her husband has another last name.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1a1 L664/YP5623
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2b2/G228A

I finally pinned down Revolutionary Hero General Daniel Morgan, 1736-1802, Battle of Cowpens fame. He is my 1st cousin six times removed, just like Daniel Boone. He and Daniel Boone are 1st cousins. And I am there too. The Morgan line came from Welsh Quakers of Pennsylvania.
    Last edited by Baltimore1937; 07-03-2019 at 04:26 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Baltimore1937 For This Useful Post:

C J Wyatt III (07-03-2019)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Human
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U106 (A2150)

United States of America United Kingdom Ireland Cornwall Norway
    Major General John Buford; a hero of the Battle of Gettysburg was a first or second cousin of my 3rd Great grandmother. My father looks quite a bit like him.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Revmac For This Useful Post:

Dts (07-11-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1a1 L664/YP5623
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2b2/G228A

I added another bigwig to my tree. Governor Thomas Dudley of Massachusetts, back in the 1600s. He supposedly is my 3rd cousin, 11 times removed. He is distantly connected to Governor Thomas Francis Greene of colonial Maryland, who is my 8th great-grandfather. Ancestry figured that out for me.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1a1 L664/YP5623
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2b2/G228A

I decided to go ahead and reveal Robert E. Lee in my tree. Accordingly, he is my 4th cousin, six times removed. And Abraham Lincoln is my 3rd cousin, five times removed.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    NW Europe+Ash/Seph Jewish

England Star of David Netherlands Turkey Denmark Germany
    No really famous direct ancestors for me as far as I know, though one of the amateur genealogists in my family traced one of our lines back to medieval Danish royalty (which I'm sure millions of people are descended from, like Charlemagne). Like most white Americans with colonial New England and Mid-Atlantic ancestry, I'm a distant cousin of probably about half the U.S. presidents and a slew of other people. The most illustrious direct ancestor I've confirmed in my tree is this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelmus_Beekman
    Paper trail:

Father = 50% English (early American settlers), 25% Dutch, 12.5% Danish, 8% German + some Irish, Scottish and French

Mother = 75% Ashkenazi Jewish (Russia/Ukraine) and 25% Sephardic (Turkey)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to passenger For This Useful Post:

Baltimore1937 (09-29-2019),  Bog Body (09-29-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1a1 L664/YP5623
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2b2/G228A

For a long while, I erroneously thought I had a direct ancestor named Van Valkenburg (I forget his first name) who came from the Netherlands in early Dutch times to New Amsterdam (now NYC). But it turned out I was descended from a brother of the guy who has him as an in-law ancestor (his wife Selah Falconbury of early 1800s). However, in my sprawling main tree, I still have that lineage there for reference as some sort of in-law cousin, ha ha.
    Last edited by Baltimore1937; 09-29-2019 at 02:28 AM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    NW Europe+Ash/Seph Jewish

England Star of David Netherlands Turkey Denmark Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltimore1937 View Post
    For a long while, I erroneously thought I had a direct ancestor named Van Valkenburg (I forget his first name) who came from the Netherlands in early Dutch times to New Amsterdam (now NYC). But it turned out I was descended from a brother of the guy who has him as an in-law ancestor (his wife Selah Falconbury of early 1800s). However, in my sprawling main tree, I still have that lineage there for reference as some sort of in-law cousin, ha ha.
    Close enough

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Polish/British Isles
    Nationality
    U.S.
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-A9185
    mtDNA (M)
    H1

Poland England Ireland Munster
    My supposed 10th Great-Grandfather, the Mayflower passenger WILLIAM BREWSTER was recently in the news Lincolnshire exhibition sheds new light on Pilgrim Fathers. Before taking DNA tests at Ancestry I was skeptical about family claims of Mayflower ancestry, but there are abundant DNA matches on Ancestry, along with family trees and historical documents, that tend to support that, so it actually looks reasonably plausible.
    YFull: YF14620 (Dante Labs 2018)

Page 46 of 52 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast