Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I2c1 PF3892+
    mtDNA (M)
    U4a

United States Gadsden Cornwall Wales United States Gadsden
    Quote Originally Posted by CelticGerman View Post
    Works great, although after trying out several surnames in my family tree to see if they came up in any famous pedigrees, I was only able to find confirmation of a couple famous relationships I already knew about (Wyatt Earp and John C. Breckinridge).

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pan-European & Romani
    Nationality
    Australian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L21>MC14>A6138
    mtDNA (M)
    T2b24 - T321C

Australia Romani United Kingdom Ireland European Union
    Go back far enough and a lot of people will have some connection to a family of "royal" or "noble" standing.

My paternal grandfather had distant ancestry in Guernsey to the Guille/Weston family in the 15th century.
    James Guille (Bailiff of Guernsey and the Royal Court, 1511-1537) married Anne Weston (daughter of Sir Edmund Weston and Catherine Camel) in the early 1520's.

The 'Queen Mother' (Elizabeth Angela Marguerite BOWES-LYON), was a descendant of this Weston family, through Anne's brother Sir Richard Weston ( Governor of Guernsey, Treasurer of Calais and Under-Treasurer of the Exchequer during the reign of King Henry VIII of England) and his wife Anne Sandys.

As such I am a '15th cousin' to the Duke of Cambridge and the plethora of other lines that descend from the Weston family...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to N21163 For This Useful Post:

dp (09-25-2014)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    Michigan
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF27/FGC13149
    mtDNA (M)
    V9a1

United States of America Canada Canada Quebec
    One of my great-grandfather's 4th cousin was Franklin Roosevelt (on their mothers' sides).
    My favorite famous relative (by marriage) who I actually met was another great-grandfather's 2nd cousin's husband Eddie Cicotte.
    Last edited by rod; 09-25-2014 at 04:47 AM.
    FGC C0YTG, YFull YF01549
    R-P312 / R-DF27 / R-FGC13109 / R-FGC13125 (R-FGC13149 at YFULL)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-Z2961>ZZ30>ZP106
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a4a1c1

United States of America United States Tree Flag Bermuda United Kingdom France Italy
    Quote Originally Posted by N21163 View Post
    Go back far enough and a lot of people will have some connection to a family of "royal" or "noble" standing.
    If I remember right 1/10 or more of all western Europeans (or maybe just British types) descend from Edward the Black Prince.
    Wikipedia:
    Edward had illegitimate sons, all born before his marriage.[citation needed]

By Edith de Willesford (d. after 1385):

Sir Roger Clarendon (1345/60 - executed 1402); he married Margaret (d. 1382), a daughter of John Fleming, Baron de la Roche.[6]
    By unknown mothers:

Edward (b. ca. 1349 - died young)
    Sir John Sounder[7]
    Sir Charles FitzEdward (b. ca. 1352-)
    Edward married his cousin, Joan, Countess of Kent (1328-1385), on 10 October 1361. She was the daughter and heiress of Edmund of Woodstock, Earl of Kent, the younger son of King Edward I by his second wife Margaret of France. They had two sons from this marriage. Both sons were born in France, where the Prince and Princess of Wales had taken up duties as Prince and Princess of Aquitaine.

Edward of AngoulÍme (27 January 1365 - January 1372)
    Richard II of England (6 January 1367 – c. 14 February 1400) often referred to as Richard of Bordeaux for his place of birth.
    From his marriage to Joan, he also became stepfather to her children, including Thomas Holland, 2nd Earl of Kent whose daughter, Joan Holland, would marry Edward's brother, Edmund of Langley. Edward's other stepson, John Holland, 1st Duke of Exeter, would marry Edward's niece, Elizabeth of Lancaster, daughter of his brother, John of Gaunt.

-dp

PS: check out http://montaukiowa.com/royals.htm for info on Henry I "Beauclerc" King 1068 - 1135
    Last edited by dp; 09-25-2014 at 05:40 PM.
    Grace and good eure and long prosperitee. [Lydg. Mum. Goldsmiths]

ysearch/mitosearch id: atr94 GENBANK/ENA mtDNA id: KF703542 member ISOGG

Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-FGC396>L199.1
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a1a1h

Canada Netherlands Poland Austrian Empire Russia Imperial
    Quote Originally Posted by N21163 View Post

My paternal grandfather had distant ancestry in Guernsey to the Guille/Weston family in the 15th century.
    James Guille (Bailiff of Guernsey and the Royal Court, 1511-1537) married Anne Weston (daughter of Sir Edmund Weston and Catherine Camel) in the early 1520's.

The 'Queen Mother' (Elizabeth Angela Marguerite BOWES-LYON), was a descendant of this Weston family, through Anne's brother Sir Richard Weston ( Governor of Guernsey, Treasurer of Calais and Under-Treasurer of the Exchequer during the reign of King Henry VIII of England) and his wife Anne Sandys.

As such I am a '15th cousin' to the Duke of Cambridge and the plethora of other lines that descend from the Weston family...
    Oooh, you have me beat - I'm allegedly a 16th cousin through both his parents, both are descendants of Christian IX of Denmark, who was an 11th cousin to my 3rd great-grandmother. And Charlemagne was my 36th GGF.

But within 6 generations? My 2nd once removed cousin is an actor playing a regular character on a CBC produced family drama.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VinceT For This Useful Post:

dp (09-25-2014),  N21163 (09-28-2014)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish Canadian
    Nationality
    Canada
    Y-DNA (P)
    L513->Z23516>BY11142
    mtDNA (M)
    H1bd

Canada Ireland Scotland England Ireland County Tipperary Canada Old Newfoundland
    nope-nothin

just poor Irish, poor fishing fleet English, poor Scots evidently

possibly a couple of pirates, one sort of 4th rate Disney singer, some distant rich broad that survived the sinking of the titanic

all the cool 'stories' that I got told as a kid, I proved wrong by pen and paper genealogy...heir presumptive to a New York Governor's millions, descendants of the Duke of Marlborough's beautiful mistress
    -what a pity the 2nd one is not true...that would be cool to be a direct Y line decentant of the Iron Duke and Churchill lines

The handsome Irish coachman that fell for the boss's daughter and they eloped and fled to Canada in an open deck whaling ship to start my line in Canada is at least partially true, maybe all, except the 'fled' part

thats about the best I got, sorry guys

Mike
    Last edited by MikeWhalen; 09-25-2014 at 08:36 PM.
    Furthest Y line=Patrick Whealen 1816-1874, b.Tipperary Co. Ire. d. Kincardine Ont.

Y-DNA-RL21-L513-Z23516-BY11142('lost Irish 'C' boys?')

FTDNA=P312+ P25+ M343+ M269+ M207+ M173+ L513+ U198- U152- U106- SRY2627- P66- P107- M73- M65- M37- M222- M18- M160- M153- M126- L705- L577- L193- L159.2- L1333-
    Big-Y=Z23516+
    23&me=L21+
    E.A.= S21-, S26-, S28-, S29-, S68-
    Geno 2 (N.G.P.) H1bd+

Whalen/Phelan DNA Surname Project
    Hidden Content

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeWhalen For This Useful Post:

dp (11-12-2014),  Scarlet Ibis (03-30-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    US
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b U106 Z326 Z81
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a1b1a

My great uncle (by marriage not genetically related) led the Berlin Airlift: (he was the brother-in-law of my great-grandfather)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_H._Tunner

There is an unproven claim for relationship to:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Byrd_II

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-S1051 9919-A
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b1e

Canada United States of America United Kingdom France Ukraine
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeWhalen View Post
    nope-nothin

just poor Irish, poor fishing fleet English, poor Scots evidently

possibly a couple of pirates, one sort of 4th rate Disney singer, some distant rich broad that survived the sinking of the titanic

all the cool 'stories' that I got told as a kid, I proved wrong by pen and paper genealogy...heir presumptive to a New York Governor's millions, descendants of the Duke of Marlborough's beautiful mistress
    -what a pity the 2nd one is not true...that would be cool to be a direct Y line decentant of the Iron Duke and Churchill lines

The handsome Irish coachman that fell for the boss's daughter and they eloped and fled to Canada in an open deck whaling ship to start my line in Canada is at least partially true, maybe all, except the 'fled' part

thats about the best I got, sorry guys

Mike
    My Ferrari turned into a squash a long time ago. Still looking for the Princess to find me and hand my glass cowboy boot! LOL Back to scrubbing the floor.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to George Chandler For This Useful Post:

MikeWhalen (10-03-2014),  rod (09-26-2014)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Colonial+Cornish+Welsh
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I2c1 PF3892+
    mtDNA (M)
    U4a

United States Gadsden Cornwall Wales United States Gadsden
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeWhalen View Post
    descendants of the Duke of Marlborough's beautiful mistress
    Almost forgot to mention, I'm related to the Earls of Marlborough. Their surname, Ley, was the original surname of the Kempthorne family I descend from, the Kempthornes being the junior branch. Of course, the relationship is so long ago, that there's probably no significant genetic relationship, and the Earls of Marlborough weren't as important as, or even related to, the Dukes of Marlborough as far as I know. The Dukes of Marlborough would be a very interesting relationship indeed.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1a1 L664/YP5623
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2b2/G228A

United States of America European Union Norway Austrian Empire United Kingdom Germany Imperial
    Now that I've lost confidence in my direct maternal line going back to King John and other illustrious ancestors in Medieval times, I'll have to settle for Daniel Boone as my first cousin six times removed. It still looks like I'm also related to a colonial governor of Maryland, but that is somewhat vague the further one goes along that line. My maternal grandmother once said, when I asked her about her Mayflower roots, that it was really Jamestown. I don't know what all she knew back there in the 1940s. She may have been referring to her Puckett line, which went back to early Virginia. But as for my direct maternal line, that could also trace back to early tidewater Virginia. Then again, it could be from the "Great Migration" to New England.

I notice the surname "Pinkerton" (famous detective agency) pops up in a list of surnames of a match connected to my strongest match at FTDNA ("in common with").
    Last edited by Baltimore1937; 10-03-2014 at 10:10 AM.

Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast