Thread: Summing Up ADMIXTURE Components

J Man

Summing Up ADMIXTURE Components

Given all of the new and exciting stuff we are learning from ancient genomes being tested I think we may finally be able to give labels to certain ADMIXTURE components that both Polako and Dienekes have found in their projects. Now focusing on Europe I am going to list the major components and their possible origins.

Northern European: An admixed component composed of both indigenous Mesolithic hunter-gatherer alleles and migrant Neolithic farmer alleles from Southern Europe

Mediterranean: The original Neolithic farmer Southern European component with ultimate origins in the Middle East

West Asian/Caucasus: Another Neolithic type component but from a different region of the Middle East than the Mediterranean component

What do others think about this?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to J Man For This Useful Post:

Seabass (09-19-2012)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R2a*-M124 (L295-)
    mtDNA (M)
    D4j5*

It's a topic that requires plenty of cross-referencing between different auDNA component runs both within projects and between them, but I do agree that certain components lend themselves quite neatly towards others.

The West-Central Asian and Gedrosian components in Eurogenes and Dodecad are pretty much equivalent, for example, with most of their value getting absorbed back into a West Asian one at lower K's.

However, I think a cross-technique approach is preferable in recapturing the demic events that took place throughout the world. auDNA genetic components are quite useful, but the data should be appraised alongside neutral markers (i.e. blood antigens rather than pigmentation) and IBD segments.

One of the curious trends over the past few years is the (in my opinion) disconnect between Cavalli-Sforza's genetic research on West Eurasia and what has been discovered through the genome bloggers. For example, do any of the ADMIXTURE components corroborate what is shown here?:

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DMXX For This Useful Post:

ZephyrousMandaru (10-09-2012)

Registered Users
    Sex

Scotland England Australia Star of David Turkey Egypt
    Whats somebodies take on the 'Red Sea' component discovered in Dienekes k10a run? Seems to be the first admixture run which sets Jews apart from Southern Europeans and NW Asians in terms of a possible stronger 'Semitic' connection.

Population Red_Sea
    Somali_D 52.9
    Ethiopian_Jews 48.2
    Ethiopians 47.7
    Saudis 34.6
    MKK30 34.2
    Yemen_Jews 32.1
    Sandawe_He 29.7
    Bedouin 25.8
    Egyptans 24
    Moroccans 22.9
    Yemenese 22.8
    Mozabite 22.2
    Hadza_He 21.9
    Moroccan_D 21
    Algerian_D 20.3
    Palestinian 17.7
    Jordanians 17.2
    Samaritians 15.8
    Syrians 15
    Lebanese 12.6
    Druze 11.6
    Iraq_Jews 11
    Morocco_Jews 10.4
    Iranian_Jews 10
    Sephardic_Jews 9.4
    Uzbekistan_Jews 8.5
    Georgia_Jews 7.9

Cypriots 7.7
    Assyrian_D 7.6
    LWK30 7.6
    Ashkenazy_Jews 7.6
    Ashkenazi_D 7.5
    Azerbaijan_Jews 7

Bantu_N.E. 6.2
    S_Italian_Sicilian_D 6.1
    Iranians 5.8
    Kurd_D 5.4
    Sicilian_D 5.3
    Kurds_Y 5.2
    Canarias_1KG 4.9
    Armenian_D 4.7
    Armenians_15_Y 4.7
    Iranian_D 4.4
    Turkish_Kayseri_Ho 3.9
    Bnei_Menashe_Jews 3.8
    Turks 3.8
    Makrani 3.6
    C_Italian_D 3.5
    Turkish_D 3.4
    Brahui 3.4
    Galicia_1KG 3.4
    Turkish_Istanbul_Ho 3.3
    Greek_D 3.2
    Armenians 3.2
    Turkish_Aydin_Ho 3.1
    Balochi 2.9
    Murcia_1KG 2.9
    Portuguese_D 2.8
    San_He 2.8
    O_Italian_D 2.7
    Extremadura_1KG 2.7
    Castilla_Y_Leon_1KG 2.7
    Bulgarian_D 2.5
    Cochin_Jews 2.5
    Tuscan 2.3
    TSI30 2.3
    Turkmens_Y 2.1
    Finnish_D 2
    Romanians 2
    Castilla_La_Mancha_1KG 2

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...0VVZPR0E#gid=0
    Last edited by Seabass; 09-19-2012 at 01:47 PM.

J Man
    No I do not think that any of the components discovered by either Dienekes or Polako (David Wesolowski) corroborate with the map above.

Now form looking at the distribution of the North European component and the recent study by Patterson et al. it is looking like the Corded Ware culture is the one that probably spread the North European component around Europe. I am almost totally convinced now that the Corded Ware culture was the culture that diffused the North European ancestral component found by Dienekes and Polako at various K levels in their projects around Europe. It originated in Eastern Europe probably close to the Baltic area and then spread into Central Europe. There it had contact with the Bell Beaker culture and the two cultures subsequently mixed. Now the Bell Beaker culture spreading out from Iberia originally was most likely pretty much totally dominated by the Mediterranean component found by Dienekes and Polako in their projects. Once the Bell Beakers mixed with the Corded Ware groups in Central Europe they obtained some of the North European component. This new mixed Neolithic population then spread all around Europe and brought the North European component to regions that had none before such as Iberia.