Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New study - Alans = G2*

Registered Users
    Sex

Mameluke

New study - Alans = G2*

From 2 seperate sites along the Don river in Russia, Verhnesaltovsky IV burial of 10 samples (only in 7 out of 10 were found fragments of DNA) detected in four Y-dna G2 and six mtdna I
    Dmitrov burial two samples, both had Y-dna G2, with no result for mtdna. Sub-clades of G2 were not tested.

3) To analyze Alanian paleo-DNA haplogroup level (laboratory work performed Iljinsky VV) were selected, 12 samples of human teeth and bone fragments from the catacomb burial. Investigation of the male line was carried out by analyzing 23 microsatellite loci (STR) Y-chromosome of man. Definition haplogroup female line was carried out the study of mtDNA hypervariable regions. The task was to identify the nucleotide sequences of the hypervariable regions HVS-1, HVS-2, HVS -3 mtDNA haplogroup, with subsequent determination of individuals and the predictions of migration routes. As a result, in the 6 samples was found haplogroup G2 and 6 samples - female haplogroup I.
    Scientists note that the North Caucasus, which are connected with the territory of their origin Don Alans, G2 occur as the two branches of the Ossetians (G2a1) and the Circassians (G2a3). G2a little occurs in Karachai and Balkars, as well as the Ingush and Chechens. The researchers write, and I quote: "The issue is Alan DNA is closely associated with the study of the role of Alan and Caucasian substrate in the formation of the Ossetian people, now takes on a more distinct shape. We got a first and very promising data about Alan DNA Khazar time." It is further noted that the need for a thorough research in the field paleoDNK level subclades not only Alanian material Khazar and predhazarskogo time, but the study of paleo-DNA carriers barrows and burial rites yamnogo on the territory of the Khazar Khanate as well as simultaneous and preceding them centrally-Caucasian substratum, practiced burial in stone boxes, underground and above-ground tombs. Then it can be ascertained whether the men G2 the Don Alan Sarmatian heritage, kangyuytsev or a contribution to the Central Caucasian substratum
    https://www.academia.edu/7061155/%D0...D0%A1._312-315

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Asparuk For This Useful Post:

Cinnamon orange (10-03-2014),  Dr_McNinja (10-03-2014),  evon (10-04-2014),  Humanist (10-03-2014),  J1 DYS388=13 (10-03-2014),  Jean M (10-03-2014),  NK19191 (10-03-2014),  parasar (10-03-2014),  R.Rocca (10-03-2014),  rms2 (10-04-2014),  rock hunter (03-05-2015),  Salkin (10-04-2014),  Táltos (10-03-2014)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    G-V2154
    mtDNA (M)
    HV4a2a

Thank you. Very interesting! Is there any indication when these samples date from?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Rio de Janeiro Colonial
    Nationality
    Brazilian
    Y-DNA (P)
    J1a1 FGC6064+ M365+
    mtDNA (M)
    H1ao1

Suebi Kingdom Portugal 1143 Portugal 1485 Portugal Order of Christ Brazilian Empire Brazil
    I think they were Medieval samples from the 8th century.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RCO For This Useful Post:

AJL (10-06-2014),  Humanist (10-03-2014),  rms2 (10-04-2014),  Táltos (10-03-2014)

Registered Users
    Sex

Mameluke
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanist View Post
    Thank you. Very interesting! Is there any indication when these samples date from?
    Quote Originally Posted by RCO View Post
    I think they were Medieval samples from the 8th century.
    Honestly I have no idea, my Cyrillic reading and comprehension skills are a bit rusty. But yeah, RCO I think you are right.

A few questions I have are, how can these be "Alans" if they are dated to around 800 A.D.? I thought the Hunnic and succeeding Turkic tribes scattered the Alans, and they failed to exist as a entity on the steppes in the late Roman period, that's what all the books I read mentioned at least. Maybe, just maybe these G2a were Caucasian Alans who repopulated the steppes, I think that should give the disappointed ar1an crowd some hope. These Alans look to have been serving Khazar masters as the paper mentions. 800 A.D. is also during the zenith of the Khazar Khaganate.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Geat
    Nationality
    Swedish
    Y-DNA (P)
    G2a-S2808 FGC34809+
    mtDNA (M)
    I2

Sweden European Union Kalmar Union
    *peers at Y-DNA and mtDNA fields on the left* Hmm. Alan background?
    GEDmatch kits:
    M606752 (23andMe)
    F367588 (FTDNA)

ySearch & mitoSearch: DK8FB

FTDNA kit: 367588

Registered Users
    Sex

Mameluke
    Quote Originally Posted by Salkin View Post
    *peers at Y-DNA and mtDNA fields on the left* Hmm. Alan background?
    Maybe.

I don't want to reveal my haplogroup otherwise I'd be like these r1a clowns who lack objectivity, but yeah I have Ossetic G2a1* (actually at the moment awaiting deeper sub-clade analysis). But still, I'd like to know the reality and not some overly-dramatized self-promotion, so leaving my Y-dna out of this for now.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Asparuk For This Useful Post:

kosmonomad (10-09-2014)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Geat
    Nationality
    Swedish
    Y-DNA (P)
    G2a-S2808 FGC34809+
    mtDNA (M)
    I2

Quote Originally Posted by Asparuk View Post
    Maybe.

I don't want to reveal my haplogroup otherwise I'd be like these r1a clowns who lack objectivity, but yeah I have Ossetic G2a1* (actually at the moment awaiting deeper sub-clade analysis). But still, I'd like to know the reality and not some overly-dramatized self-promotion, so leaving my Y-dna out of this for now.
    I was referring to my own haplogroups (Y and mt both, since they both match these Alans), not yours. Sounds like you might have some of that background too, though.
    GEDmatch kits:
    M606752 (23andMe)
    F367588 (FTDNA)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Salkin For This Useful Post:

Asparuk (10-05-2014)

Registered Users
    Sex

Mameluke
    Quote Originally Posted by Salkin View Post
    I was referring to my own haplogroups (Y and mt both, since they both match these Alans), not yours. Sounds like you might have some of that background too, though.
    Ohhh pffft, well 4 hours of sleep today is terrible for me. Mental acuity is low. I just skimmed through your haplogroups and thought you had yDNA: I2 and mtDNA: G, but I had it backwards. My sleep deprived brain didn't expect a Swede to be a hG. Sorry to disapoint you though but I think your G is from Gökhem Neolithic farmers.

Edit:

Wait, according to this ridiculous map there still is hope:

Anyway, here's a video to remind everyone why being an Alan is so cool.

Oh and what's this, we're handsome too

Nearly all the Alani are men of great stature and beauty, their hair is somewhat yellow, their eyes are frighteningly fierce.
    -Ammianus Marcellinus

Last edited by Asparuk; 10-05-2014 at 12:11 AM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Geat
    Nationality
    Swedish
    Y-DNA (P)
    G2a-S2808 FGC34809+
    mtDNA (M)
    I2

Heheh. You're probably right that my G is of Gökhem origin. I hadn't realised the Huns got up here, though it seems to depend on whom you ask. I'm working on my haplogroups, too, especially Y since as you say that's rather unexpected for around here. Currently on tenterhooks waiting to find out if FTDNA actually got my sample or if the USPS misplaced it... also have Chromo2 and maybe Geno 2.0 kits incoming.

I didn't really have any investment in the Alans, the haplogroup combo just caught my eye. But as you say, it's possible. My fanciful romanticism is mostly Viking-based, unsurprisingly - and if you want to get fanciful and play as fast and loose as that map might, maybe also Goth.

I have to admit the Alans do seem pretty cool. And though I don't understand the language, that narrator seems a solid choice. Precisely the sort of tone and delivery you'd want for best effect, and it sounds beautiful.
    GEDmatch kits:
    M606752 (23andMe)
    F367588 (FTDNA)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Pred.Anglo-Saxon + Briton
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b S21184, BY50830+
    mtDNA (M)
    U4b1a2 - FGS
    Y-DNA (M)
    ?
    mtDNA (P)
    I2

Canada England Wales Netherlands France Cornwall
    Quote Originally Posted by Asparuk View Post
    Honestly I have no idea, my Cyrillic reading and comprehension skills are a bit rusty. But yeah, RCO I think you are right.

A few questions I have are, how can these be "Alans" if they are dated to around 800 A.D.? I thought the Hunnic and succeeding Turkic tribes scattered the Alans, and they failed to exist as a entity on the steppes in the late Roman period, that's what all the books I read mentioned at least. Maybe, just maybe these G2a were Caucasian Alans who repopulated the steppes, I think that should give the disappointed ar1an crowd some hope. These Alans look to have been serving Khazar masters as the paper mentions. 800 A.D. is also during the zenith of the Khazar Khaganate.
    You are bang on the money. These are not Alans, nor do they have anything to do with the steppe. They are in all likelihood descended from Trans-Caucasian farmers.
    YDNA: R1b-BY50830 Stepney, London, UK George Wood b. 1782 English <-> Bavarian cluster
    m gf YDNA: ?? Gurr, James ~1740, Smarden, Kent, England.
    m gm YDNA: R1b-P311+ Beech, John Richard b. 1780, Lewes, England
    m ggf YDNA R1b-U106 Thomas, Edward b 1854, Sittingbourne, Kent
    p ggf YDNA: R1b-Z17901. Gould, John Somerset England 1800s.
    p ggf YDNA: R1b-L48. Scott, William Hamilton Ireland(?) 1800s

other:
    Turner: R-U152
    Welch: early 1800s E-M84 Kent, England.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ADW_1981 For This Useful Post:

Asparuk (10-05-2014)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast