Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Nationality
    Welsh
    mtDNA (M)
    H

DNA results, confusing heritage

Hi, I wonder if anyone could help point me in the right direction? I have taken a test with DNATribes. Whilst the results match a previous test, and also match my parent's tests, this one gives more detail than other tests and I am not sure how to interpret it.

My dad has a Scandinavian Y chromosome, which I assume explains the high percentage of NW European, and Slavic/Baltic. Otherwise, as far as I know I am of Welsh and English ancestry, though I do have a GG Grandfather who has never been indentified.
    I'm wondering if some Jewish or Romani ancestry would make sense?
    And does anyone know why I would get such high matches with the Swiss population - does Swizerland have a mix of Iberian and NW European markers?
    Thank you for any help.

The first chart shows "Top 20 matches in a database of 964 native populations that have experienced minimal movement and admixture in modern history (approximately, the last 500 years)"

The second chart: "Each of these world regions is a genetic cluster that is the product of long term patterns of migration and settlement over several millennia (predating the formation of modern nationalities)."

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Euro/Near East
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-YP4516/YP4807*
    mtDNA (M)
    H11a2a3

Canada Franco-Manitoban European Union Ottoman Empire Russia Imperial United States Grand Union
    Is this DNA Tribes' STR test or SNP analysis? It looks like the STR test, which is frequently wrong, sometimes hilariously so. This comment is very similar to your situation:

"I don't understand why Spain and Portugal are so dominant and I had no idea that I had so much Slavic DNA in my blood also! I was a little upset that Ireland or Scotland did not show up on the list."

Also see:

http://forums.familytreedna.com/showthread.php?t=34402

And from here:

"Although Autosomal STR markers are powerful markers for identity testing, they are a weak source of ancestral information."

Briefly, autosomal STR tests were developed for police and courts to use in legal proceedings to tell individuals within populations apart and establish close kinship: not to tell people about their ancestry.

Other ancestral Y lines:

E1b-M81 Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    E1b-V13 England
    I1-M253 Ireland
    I2-M423 Ukraine
    R1a-L176.1 Scotland
    R1b-L584 Syria/Turkey (Sephardi)
    R1b-L20 Ireland
    R1b-L21 (1)England; (2)Wales?>Connecticut
    R1b-L48 England
    R1b-P312 Scotland
    R1b-FGC32576 Ireland

Other ancestral mtDNA lines:

H1b2a Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    H6a1a3 Ukraine
    K1a9 Belarus (Ashkenazi)
    K1c2 Ireland
    V7a Ukraine

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AJL For This Useful Post:

Mehrdad (10-29-2014),  Scarlet Ibis (10-29-2014)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Nationality
    Welsh
    mtDNA (M)
    H

Thanks for these comment links, they are very interesting. I think the reason so many of us get Iberian results when we are expecting Welsh/Irish/Scottish is that ancestrally, Celts are Iberians. What then skews us to match Iberian populations more than we do British or Irish is that in general there is no expected admixture for the the UK and Ireland. When a certain amount of admixture is present, for example North African or Arab, our profile looks more like that of an Iberian with Moorish ancestry, than we do a 'straight' Briton.
    DNATribes says that it shows matches with present day populations, which my above theory would explain. And it's 'Global Matches' claims to show deep/ancient population movements, in which case Celts could expect to match Iberian populations.
    This is my best understanding of it so far.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Euro/Near East
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-YP4516/YP4807*
    mtDNA (M)
    H11a2a3

Canada Franco-Manitoban European Union Ottoman Empire Russia Imperial United States Grand Union
    Quote Originally Posted by Chukchi View Post
    I think the reason so many of us get Iberian results when we are expecting Welsh/Irish/Scottish is that ancestrally, Celts are Iberians.
    I suspect you're trying to justify the unjustifiable. It's generally thought the Celtic homeland is somewhere in Central Europe, not Iberia.

Other ancestral Y lines:

E1b-V13 England
    I1-M253 Ireland
    I2-M423 Ukraine
    R1a-L176.1 Scotland
    R1b-L20 Ireland
    R1b-L48 England
    R1b-P312 Scotland
    R1b-FGC32576 Ireland

H6a1a3 Ukraine
    K1a9 Belarus (Ashkenazi)
    K1c2 Ireland
    V7a Ukraine

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AJL For This Useful Post:

Mehrdad (10-29-2014)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish Canadian
    Nationality
    Canada
    Y-DNA (P)
    L513->Z23516>BY11142
    mtDNA (M)
    H1bd

Canada Ireland Scotland England Ireland County Tipperary Canada Old Newfoundland
    Yes, I'm pretty sure the Iberia/Irish thing has been proven wayyy wrong via dna

Mike
    Furthest Y line=Patrick Whealen 1816-1874, b.Tipperary Co. Ire. d. Kincardine Ont.

Y-DNA-RL21-L513-Z23516-BY11142('lost Irish 'C' boys?')

FTDNA=P312+ P25+ M343+ M269+ M207+ M173+ L513+ U198- U152- U106- SRY2627- P66- P107- M73- M65- M37- M222- M18- M160- M153- M126- L705- L577- L193- L159.2- L1333-
    Big-Y=Z23516+
    23&me=L21+
    E.A.= S21-, S26-, S28-, S29-, S68-
    Geno 2 (N.G.P.) H1bd+

Whalen/Phelan DNA Surname Project
    Hidden Content

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Nationality
    Welsh
    mtDNA (M)
    H

As I understand it, it is the other way round - the majority ancestry of Welsh, Irish and Scots (and all original Britons) is Iberian. If you look at up to date research for example by Sykes, it is very clear that the Celts of the British Isles (which is the way I am using the term Celt - those of us living in the Celtic fringes with a heritage of 'Celtic' languages) are not as you suggest: "The orthodox view of the origins of the Celts turns out to be an archaeological myth left over from the 19th century. Over the past 200 years, a myth has grown up of the Celts as a vast, culturally sophisticated but warlike people from central Europe, north of the Alps and the Danube, who invaded most of Europe, including the British Isles, during the iron age, around 300 BC... But there is absolutely no evidence, linguistic, archaeological or genetic, that identifies the Hallstatt or La Tène regions or cultures as Celtic homelands. The notion derives from a mistake made by the historian Herodotus 2,500 years ago when, in a passing remark about the “Keltoi,” he placed them at the source of the Danube, which he thought was near the Pyrenees. Everything else about his description located the Keltoi in the region of Iberia."

In recent years this has been borne out by the DNA evidence, which showed that "The first settlers came to the British Isles from the Basque country of northern Spain between 15,000 and 7,500 years ago. The ancestors of some 88% of the Irish, 81% of the Welsh, 79% of the Cornish, 70% of Scots and 68% of the English arrived here during that period. None of the later immigrations contributed anything more than 5% to the gene pool." (Professor Stephen Oppenheimer of Oxford University). http://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/fe...ritishancestry

If you search around, you will see I am not "trying to justify the unjustifiable" so much as using logic to explain that as I am Welsh, and the Welsh are shown by DNA evidence to be descended from the Iberians, it is highly likely that my high Iberian score owes a lot to my Welsh ancestry. Ditto anyone who has Irish/Welsh/Scots ancestry and finds high matches with Spain and Portugal.
    Last edited by Chukchi; 10-29-2014 at 11:15 PM. Reason: typos

Registered Users
    Sex

Canada
    DNA tribes is a joke.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Euro/Near East
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-YP4516/YP4807*
    mtDNA (M)
    H11a2a3

Quote Originally Posted by Chukchi View Post
    up to date research for example by Sykes
    Not up-to-date. Old (in DNA terms, that is: more than a decade ago) and discredited by yDNA, as Mike was saying.

Other ancestral Y lines:

E1b-V13 England
    I1-M253 Ireland
    I2-M423 Ukraine
    R1a-L176.1 Scotland
    R1b-L20 Ireland
    R1b-L48 England
    R1b-P312 Scotland
    R1b-FGC32576 Ireland

H6a1a3 Ukraine
    K1a9 Belarus (Ashkenazi)
    K1c2 Ireland
    V7a Ukraine

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Nationality
    Welsh
    mtDNA (M)
    H

Could you show me some evidence for this?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-DF49*
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a4a1

Northern Ireland England Scotland Isle of Man
    Hi Chukchi,

The evidence is all over the forum. Short-short-short form is this: (1) R1b, which Sykes and the majority of experts once thought of as having been in Europe since the last ice age evidently wasn't. The earliest R1b in Europe came from Copper Age/Early Bronze Age remains in Germany. (2) The R1b in Spain is largely from a different branch than that found in the British Isles-- it's a brother branch, not an ancestral one. (3) On an autosomal level British and Irish DNA clusters closer to northern European than it does to southern. Out of these three points, points one and two are the most important. The evidence left Sykes behind a long time ago. Most have adapted there views to the evidence (or are in the process of doing so). I expect he'll catch up too.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to David Mc For This Useful Post:

AJL (10-30-2014),  dp (10-31-2014),  MikeWhalen (10-30-2014)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast