Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Happy Dance thread for when you actually find paper trail!

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a F1345
    mtDNA (M)
    B5B1c

Palestine Ottoman Empire Philippines Spain Albania Spanish Empire (1506-1701)
    Here I'll share part of a paper trail for one of the Spanish lines in my ancestry:

The marriage certificate of my great-great grandparents:
    2 marriage Julian & Eusebia.jpg

3x great grandparents:
    3 marriage Jose & Estefania.jpg

My avatar is the Turkic-Bulgar symbol of the Mamluk sultan, Baybars, whose name means "chief leopard." He transplanted the steppe-style comitatus and postal system to the sultanate, and installed his secret couriers to operate it. (My surname is a relic of these Kipchak-Cuman couriers.) This leopard symbol is often found on structures he commissioned throughout Palestine. A similar one is used as the emblem of the Kazan Tatars, and is portrayed as a snow leopard, Aq-Bars.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a F1345
    mtDNA (M)
    B5B1c

4x great grandparents
    4 marriage Roverto & Juliana.jpg

5x great grandparents
    5 marriage Juan & Manuela.jpg

A 1st cousin of 5x great grandfather
    6 marriage Marcelino & Liberata.jpg

My avatar is the Turkic-Bulgar symbol of the Mamluk sultan, Baybars, whose name means "chief leopard." He transplanted the steppe-style comitatus and postal system to the sultanate, and installed his secret couriers to operate it. (My surname is a relic of these Kipchak-Cuman couriers.) This leopard symbol is often found on structures he commissioned throughout Palestine. A similar one is used as the emblem of the Kazan Tatars, and is portrayed as a snow leopard, Aq-Bars.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a F1345
    mtDNA (M)
    B5B1c

Another trail going a bit further back:

1746: Maria Capili, daughter of Lazaro Capili and Ana de la Cruz
    1746 Maria Capili.jpg

1718: My 6x great grandfather Lazaro Capili, son of Francisco Nicolas and Maria Dezena
    1718 Lazaro Capili.jpg

1683: My 7x great grandmother, Maria Dezena, daughter of Don Juan Macapagal and Doņa Maria Pazquala
    1683 Maria Decena.jpg

This paper trail actually continues on 5 more generations, and connects and continues with another paper trail belonging to another family. It goes back a few more centuries!

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Nationality
    British

United Kingdom Netherlands Mauritius Madagascar India China Qing Dynasty
    I finally figured out the story behind my 3x great grandfather Isaac who was born illegitimate. He was registered under his mother's surname of Roper. His mother Hannah had several illegitimate children which we had suspected were children of Isaac Chubb a Blacksmith, our Isaac listed Issac Chubb as his father on his marriage certificate. Hannah later married Isaac Chubb after his wife died. It turns out that Hannah was a servant of Isaac Chubb's cousin Charles Salisbury a farmer, there was a 30 year age gap between Isaac Chubb and Hannah Roper. Mum and I both match descendants of Isaac Chubb and his wife Esther Pomeroy on AncestryDNA and 23andme.
    Ethnogene: 51.4% NW European, 21.6% W European, 10.1% Southeastern African, 9.5% Southeast Asian, 4.4% South Asian, 2% Scandinavian, 1% East African
    Papertrail: 75% NW European, 25% Mauritian Creole

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JFWinstone For This Useful Post:

jdean (12-21-2018),  Judith (02-04-2019),  msmarjoribanks (12-24-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Nationality
    British

Used my papertrail research and DNA to help a second cousin adoptee to find out who her birth mother is
    Ethnogene: 51.4% NW European, 21.6% W European, 10.1% Southeastern African, 9.5% Southeast Asian, 4.4% South Asian, 2% Scandinavian, 1% East African

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JFWinstone For This Useful Post:

Mike_G (07-28-2019),  msmarjoribanks (01-11-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Nationality
    British

Made some progress on the Hedges line on my dad's side of the family, my 4x great grandmother's parents were John Hedges and Ann Noon. My 5x great grandmother Ann Noon was baptised in the Threadneedle Street French Church. Her father was Jaques Henri Noon(e) and her mother was Elizabeth Gentils. Maybe this explains my French Canadian matches who come up 100% France on Ancestry
    Last edited by JFWinstone; 01-26-2019 at 11:20 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JFWinstone For This Useful Post:

timberwolf (01-26-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Nationality
    American

Took me over six whole years of research to find out who my 3x great grandfather was. It turns out he was the illegitimate child of a prominent businessman who went on to run one of europe's largest companies at the time.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnthe For This Useful Post:

JFWinstone (07-28-2019),  Judith (02-04-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U152
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a-C150T

United States of America Mexico Germany United Kingdom Ireland
    After working extensively with Native American people in my neck of the woods for many years, I became aware that few purely Amerindian folks remain in this part of the country. Having relatives who are enrolled tribal members and others who are not enrolled but carry large percentages of Native American DNA has led me on some fascinating research journeys into their histories.

One connection to my family has a link to an important and influential Eastern Shoshone family whose earliest known progenitor (b. 1843) was known to be the offspring of a Shoshone woman and a European trapper. Nobody from the family that I asked knew the identity of said trapper. All they had been told was that he was a French-Canadian Hudson's Bay Company employee.

That got me really curious, so I went on the hunt for the identity of the trapper. All I knew was the trapper's quasi-French sounding surname.

My research led me to a scholar who was an expert on Hudson's Bay Company trappers who bore that particular surname. He quickly eliminated any of their men as none of them had been active in Shoshone country during the period our bi-racial progenitor was born.

My next line of inquiry led me to a scholar who had written about a pre-Gold Rush California settler who bore the same surname and who had worked for a time for the Hudson's Bay Company. Again, I was informed there was probably no connection.

During this process, I discovered a website that chronicled the life of yet another trapper who carried the right surname but who was not French-Canadian at all but an American with roots in Virginia. Of great interest to me was the fact that this trapper had been active in Shoshone country between 1837 and 1843. Included in the information was a great deal of documentation regarding this trapper. Curiously, the eminent scholar Bernard DeVoto, who in 1947 wrote an important history of the fur trade called Across the Wide Missouri, had mentioned him, getting his surname right, but had gotten his given name wrong.

I contacted the owner of the website. To make a long story short, she informed me that her father was a direct male-line descendant of the brother of the trapper in question. Plus, she had gotten a 67-marker Y-DNA test done on her father through FamilyTree DNA! I was really excited to find this out. That got my wheels turning. I asked a friend of mine, whose father is a prominent tribal leader and a direct male-line descendant of the bi-racial progenitor if she thought her dad might agree to do a 67-marker test as well. He was excited and more than willing and we soon had the kit sent in.

A few days ago, we got the results. My friend's dad is an EXACT match with the male-line descendant of the brother of the trapper. The evidence is pretty conclusive. I think we have our guy!
    Last edited by Grossvater; 07-28-2019 at 12:47 AM.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Grossvater For This Useful Post:

Calamus (07-28-2019),  FionnSneachta (07-28-2019),  JFWinstone (07-28-2019),  Mike_G (07-28-2019)

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567